Player thread: Aleksandar Kolarov (2014/15)

KippaxCitizen said:
mosssideblue said:
All this talk of he deserves his place in the team because of the attacking options he brings. Remind me again, what is his primary role and is he any good at it?
The name "full back" should be scrapped from this sport. Originally full backs were the players who fully (or almost fully) stayed back to defend ie modern central defenders. How they came to represent the players in a team who are outside halves/wingers is beyond me!

For me modern "full back"s are WINGERS. Wingers like in rugby who do as much attacking as they do defending (but in good football teams they'll do far more attacking than defending). Especially in our team in both our title wins in recent years. Having an attacking winger like Navas in the side stops us making the most of our best players in midfield and takes up Zaba's space on the wing too much.

In good attacking sides formations often look like this:

-------------GK-------------
---------CD---CD---------
------------DM-------------
----------CM----------------
FB---------------------------
---------AM---AM---------
----ST------------------FB--
------------------ST----------
but obviously across a whole pitch not on a narrow computer screen :)

And this is more than the average, good teams attack for 60-75% of the game so their primary role is to join the attack out wide.

Yes, yes, yes.... and yes. Agree with all you've said. Good post.

I really wouldn't bother spending as much as we need to to replace him. Seems a good figure in the squad, offers fairly unique talents and gives us the best pair of left backs in the league

I'd rather look for a CB

NQCitizen said:
I really wouldn't bother spending as much as we need to to replace him. Seems a good figure in the squad, offers fairly unique talents and gives us the best pair of left backs in the league

I'd rather look for a CB

This.....we spent £42m on a CB who has been about as good as David Brightwell...yet his thread is full of people trying to convince themselves he will 'be a monster for us'......at the moment 'Mike Wazowski' at best (look it up if you haven't got kids)

.....yet slaughter Kolorov constantly, saying he can't defend, for me his defending is better than Clichy....who can't defend or attack which makes him pretty pointless.

Must have been a great boost for AK when Dyer stopped trying to take him on and passed the ball inside. Yesterday was a good defensive effort from Aleks - as well offering the overlap option every time we attacked.

Football is rife with failed drug tests at the moment , hope they dont test Kolarov , hes got to be on something , he has been shite all season and the last half a dozen games , hes played like a man possessed , (he needs to ring Wio , and ask the coke head how to swerve a drugs test)

Both Clichy and Kolerov have benefited from the other being injured, as when both have been given an extended run in the side they both have produced far better performances on a more consistant basis.

Kolerov has been very decent in the last few games and scoring a couple of goals. It's amazing what a 6 or 7 game run in the team can do for your confidence.

jimmygrimblesboots said:
Football is rife with failed drug tests at the moment , hope they dont test Kolarov , hes got to be on something , he has been shite all season and the last half a dozen games , hes played like a man possessed , (he needs to ring Wio , and ask the coke head how to swerve a drugs test)

Joking aside this is what makes me all the more angry with Mr Kolarov. He has hit some form - which is mainly down to a much improved attitude - at a time when he is possibly looking to tempt Italian clubs to buy him. There is no doubting he can be a decent player, but I cannot forget the games where he has been abject in his desire to work harder for the team. Too many times in games that could have really mattered I would watch him lose possession and then amble back all the time expecting the left hand sided centre back cover him. Yes he has been great in the last few games, but despite me knowing that all players have periods when form desserts them, I cannot forgive the lack of effort demonstrated by Alex at some critical times and arguing with a section of fans no matter how wrong they maybe was not so professional. At 29 I doubt he would settle for being a back up but as a club left back is an area we really need to address - Pace and youth please, not another Sagna type experiment.

Like Yaya, he runs a lot faster towards the opponent's box than his own box. Still, he contributes a lot going forward, adds an extra dimension from set pieces and really isn't as bad a defender as a lot of people make out. Certainly if he were as good an athlete as Clichy he would be a formidable left-back for us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.