Player thread: Dedryck Boyata (2013/14)

Re: Boyata

Credit to Boyata , solid performance last night and correct to play a centre half at centre half rather than try and use Sagna there.

Against Everton though I would think Pellegrini will use Demichelis with Mangala.

Good performance by the lad though it's easier for him with the team playing like that than being under pressure. He's taken far too much stick by our own fans who must have forgotten performances like the one he put in against the rags in the league cup a few years ago.

There's definitely a player in there but it looks like his confidence was badly affected by the penalty he gave away against arsenal at our place. That lack of confidence appeared to plague him in his loan spell at Bolton and elsewhere. Hopefully he's back to his best again but I fear we'll never know until he's put under pressure and you can't give too many chances to a player like that when you're competing to win trophies.

Given that it was his first game in many, many months, it was a terrific effort by Cedric.

He won quite a few key balls in the air against the aerial threat of Wickham, neatly took Fletcher out of the game while showing an appropriate amount of 'sympathy', and tackled and passed very effectively.

He certainly vindicated Pellegrini's faith in him.

I actually wouldn't be too concerned if he played again this weekend, although I think it is unlikely. Nevertheless he has given Manuel a little selection headache for the Everton game.

He looked good tonight, which was a relief! He (mostly) kept the back line really well, he was extremely composed on the ball, playing a big part in City's midfield "triangles" and patient build up, and he seemed to anticipate Sunderland's balls out of defense really well. Not a lot of opportunity to show his tackling abilities, but he took on his responsibilities confidently and calmly. Phew!

Credit where it's due. Boyata got a lot of stick on here even without playing. But Pellegrini made the right descision going for the player that is used to the position. I'm sure it helped Boyata to play next to the ever experienced, calm and organized Demichelis. Maybe Sunderland wasn't the attacking force you want Boyata to cope with, but this game obvioulsly gave the lad an enormous boost in his confidence.

jollylescott said:
Given that it was his first game in many, many months, it was a terrific effort by Cedric.

He won quite a few key balls in the air against the aerial threat of Wickham, neatly took Fletcher out of the game while showing an appropriate amount of 'sympathy', and tackled and passed very effectively.

I actually wouldn't be too concerned if he played again this weekend, although I think it is unlikely. Nevertheless he has given Manuel a little selection headache for the Everton game.

Who's Cedric?

supercity88 said:
jollylescott said:

Who's Cedric?

Haha - oops you know what IPads are like, they tend to default to weird things re words and spelling. On the other hand he reminds me of a Cedric (or a young Sydney Poitier, for those that can remember To Sir With Love!).

Young Cedric did well last night, great to have some good cover.

Very happy for him. Thought he did well overall considering how long it's been since he played a competitive match.

We need these sorts of players, even if he never turns out to be world class you don't need (and probably can't have) top class players as backup for world class players. We need some squad members capable of doing a job against the 'regular' PL teams like, Palace, Hull, Sunderland etc who aren't going to be earning £100k+ week and who are happy to turn out and cover for the 1st squad and do the job.

Look at Wes Orange and John O'Shea, they've got trophy cabinets stuffed with medals but nobody would ever have labelled them as world class, just fairly decent pro's who accepted they were a rotation option so the 'stars' could be rested. If they can come from our academy then it's even better when they get registered in the squad.

Really glad to see Dedrick have a good game and even if he never becomes a 1st team regular hopefully there'll be a place for him as long as he keeps performing to the standard we need in a squad role.

I'm pretty sure I'd rather be earning £40k/week at City being used as rotation and picking up medals than earning £40k/week at Sunderland, playing more often but at the end of your career having nothing to show for it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.