Player thread : Edin Dzeko (2014/15)

Re: Edin Dzeko (continued)

de niro said:
Señor Manuel said:
citymad said:
Anyone notice how many headers Edin seems to win when we are defending a corner ?

hahahahahahaha

go on, pray tell, what's so funny?

Let me explain to you :D.

Senor Manuel rate Edin and he was laughing to all those who think Edin does not contribute to the game more than scoring goals. For example, yesterday, he defended well and it seem like some of you did not see it.<br /><br />-- Sun May 04, 2014 9:56 am --<br /><br />
King Geedorah said:
Dzeko is effective and unconventional, small minds will never get beyond the unconventional side of him.

That 3 minutes he spent down with a "shoulder injury" is the best bit of defending all season from all of our players, yet most on here would rather see him aimlessly press centre backs.

The best post in this thread lately. +1

Project said:
King Geedorah said:
Project said:
Think he played well today. When he puts in the effort he is a good guy to have around. Very good target man who scores important goals. Not bad for a third choice striker at all. Its those games where he clearly couldn't give a shit that has hurt his reputation among blues. To be fair these are becoming much less frequent. He has been generally good in 2014.

Please tell me you're counting Toure as a striker or something because I thought the Negredo myth died out about 3 months ago.

"The Negredo myth". Nice way to talk about one of our players - one who has been crucial to be where we are this season - as has Dzeko.

FWIW I think Negredo is a better player, period than Dzeko. But is lacking in confidence/out of form. Dzeko has put in a good run so Negredo hasn't had a chance to get a run of games in to get back on track. The title race too crucial to be playing players back into form. He will be fine next season.
I am a big fan of Negredo, I rate him. But we were talking about unconventional. And Dzeko is best at what Dzeko does. With his awkwardness, and ambivalence lulls an opponent into a false sense of security, before you know it, while you're finishing your sentence on how much of a shit player he is.. BAM he scores a game changing goal. How many times has that happened? I have lost count. It can't be an accident.

Scores with left, right, header doesn't matter, distributes long balls like a midfielder, can't make a simple pass to save his life.

But results is what matters:

His goals netted most PL points last season, his away goal record is impressive. 53% + of his goals result in an equalizer or a winning goal.

The only player in PL who scored more than 13+ goals in the last 3 seasons. Most consistent inconsistent striker in PL.

Me , being awfully old and not au fait with all these modern conceptions of a "striker" always thought the Centre forward's job was to score goals. They don't give out awards for how many times they can trap a ball or pass it etc they give out awards for how many goals they score! I don't think some people on here have noticed that Dzeko scores goals and a hell of a lot of them are VITAL goals. Not only that he's an established PL goal scorer not some mythical creature that some seem to believe in "The Perfect Striker" Perhaps these people would like to show me an example of the creature that is currently for sale for the sort of price we got Dzeko for before you cast him aside. Dzeko has that gift of instinct, give him time to think and he doesn't score as many but just take a look at how many he's scored from those split second chances. Another HUGE benefit is he's not injury prone. If Aguero had been as fit as Dzeko this season we would have romped the PL.

Project said:
"The Negredo myth". Nice way to talk about one of our players - one who has been crucial to be where we are this season - as has Dzeko.

FWIW I think Negredo is a better player, period than Dzeko. But is lacking in confidence/out of form. Dzeko has put in a good run so Negredo hasn't had a chance to get a run of games in to get back on track. The title race too crucial to be playing players back into form. He will be fine next season.

I think 'better player' is impossible to quantify, especially when Negredo playing badly is due to a lack of confidence while Dzeko playing badly is due to being an inferior player.

Far more revealing is who's more effective. And Dzeko has had far more of an effect on where the points go this season and you won't be able to make an argument against that.

I actually think Dzeko has been chronically mismanaged by both Mancini and Pellegrini, and that makes his effectiveness even more impressive still. Really he needs a manager to shower him with love like Mourinho did with Drogba- because mentally they're very similar.

King Geedorah said:
Project said:

I think 'better player' is impossible to quantify, especially when Negredo playing badly is due to a lack of confidence while Dzeko playing badly is due to being an inferior player.

Far more revealing is who's more effective. And Dzeko has had far more of an effect on where the points go this season and you won't be able to make an argument against that.

I actually think Dzeko has been chronically mismanaged by both Mancini and Pellegrini, and that makes his effectiveness even more impressive still. Really he needs a manager to shower him with love like Mourinho did with Drogba- because mentally they're very similar.

How do you work that one out or have you got inside information?? Mancini may have had man management issues but I don't see that with Pellegrini and the photo of the two of them yesterday would suggest more of a bromance than a mutual hatred!!

Anyone having a pop at Dzeko today needs to have their head examined. He just scored two massive goals.

Top player but at his best in the box that his strength. He is not and never ever going to be a Tevez or an Aguero there are always places for him or indeed his sort of player at any club with the possible excpetion of Barca

If we win the league then Edin needs to be thanked - if we had to rely on aguero jovetic and Negredo only we would have been in massive trouble since January and we would probably be battling arsenal and Everton .

Also for all the comments on him yesterday when we were cursing at 3-2 and looking at risk it was dzeko shouting and encouraging team mates and trying to get people on track

City had a player a long long time ago called Wynn Davies. He only played for one season. He was big, ungainly, but effective. He was never the most popular with the fans because he wasn’t Francis Lee or Colin Bell. Of course, he wasn’t as accomplished as either of them as a footballer, but, he was effective.

Dzeko is in a similar slot. He isn’t Aguero, he isn’t Silva and is not as accomplished a footballer as either of them. He is effective however and the stats prove it. If we win the league this year it will be in part down to Dzeko’s contribution, both in front of goal and as was proved yesterday, occasionally in defence.

His many detractors should recognise that.

ps - before anyone points it out, I accept entirely that Wynn Davies was more aggressive than Dzeko, but, that was 1971 and in those days, all centre forwards were SAS candidates.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.