Player thread: James Milner (2014/15)

Re: James Milner - Striker

whp.blue said:
Thenumber1blue said:
whp.blue said:
Are you actually claiming that Milner is the main reason that we have won trophies?? and Edghill is the reason we never won them back in the day?

and obviously I don't see any trend other than Milner is a very average player in a very very good squad
I'm afraid this is true and i've always said it but nobody would particularly want to see him leave.

This is the same argument I had about Barry and when we eventually let him go we improved the squad and if it hadn't been for FFP restrictions we could have made a bigger step forward

We could let Milner go and replace him with say Koke and I don't think any fan would be moaning how good Milner was for long
That goes without saying,some players are only at City because of the rules.

SilverFox2 said:
Thenumber1blue said:
whp.blue said:
Are you actually claiming that Milner is the main reason that we have won trophies?? and Edghill is the reason we never won them back in the day?

and obviously I don't see any trend other than Milner is a very average player in a very very good squad
I'm afraid this is true and i've always said it but nobody would particularly want to see him leave.

The same could be said for the lack of success the England team has.

The English players are used to supporting and integrating with the cream of world class players from other countries so when they play for England that element is missing which then reflects in apparently sub standard performances at National level.

The truth is the England players are just not good enough and as I support Manchester City not James Milner. I maintain we could do better and even though I am English I don't care if Manchester City win fielding no English players.

Is anyone actually arguing that Manchester City could not improve on James Milner?

if not letting Milner go is no big deal I just think we should and replace him with a much better player

Maly Wilson said:
Barcon said:
Maly Wilson said:
Hopefully bullshit, but could well be off to Dipperpool.

Where did you get that from?

From an ex-copper. Don't want to say where he heard it from as it wouldn't be fair on them.

Wow an ex copper gotta be true then.

Puppet Master Silva said:
grim up north said:
Puppet Master Silva said:
If you could both do me a favour and shut up forever, that'd be splendid.

If he goes he will be replaced by a better player

Crazy how we've been playing a player for 4 years who isn't good enough.

It is crazy yes. He is unhappy with the amount of game time he gets, he does not get enough game time because he is not good enough.

TangerineSteve17 said:
Shaelumstash said:
Everyone I ever speak to who goes to the games raves about Silva, and quite rightly so. The point I'm making is that I hear far bigger cheers when Milner's name is mentioned on the Tannoy. I hear far more chants for Milner at the Etihad than I hear for Silva.

I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing, what I'm saying is, the idea that Milner is an unsung hero is just absolute bollocks. He's probably the most popular player at the club among home fans.

It's a trend with City fans to love the workhorse over the magician, like I say I remember it starting in the Dickov era. Far more talented players like Berkovic and Bernarbia got nowhere near the level of adulation from fans as Dickov, because of the workrate.

You couldn't imagine Darren Fletcher getting the same praise as Paul Scholes, or Ray Parlour getting a louder cheer than Denis Bergkamp. It's something that City fans have done with Dickov, Bellamy and Milner, they are the most popular player's at the club because of their work rate. The trend probably started out of desperation when we were in the third tier and desperate.

Put it this way, I couldn't imagine any other top 6 club if they had our incredible squad of players where Milner would be the most popular player among home fans.

Yep, completely agreeable. Just the last bit I struggle with slightly. It is obvious to see he isn't the most gifted. I actually liken him to Navas. They don't do what Silva does, Yaya, Nasri.... but they both give their all. They both perform to the best of their abilities.

I don't understand your last sentence :/ It's a human nature quality. As a fan, to back the trier, to empathize with the (as it were) underdog. I am not saying he isn't replaceable. But I prefer to think, and I hope rightly, that the fans see the value in his utility and his performances.

Incidentally, I don't think Milner is the most popular player. I think it's Zabaleta. But they are similar players. Hence my point about fans backing the workhorse.

its just that Zabaleta would get into every top team in Europe, Milner would not get into any.

crmcfc said:
TangerineSteve17 said:
Shaelumstash said:
Everyone I ever speak to who goes to the games raves about Silva, and quite rightly so. The point I'm making is that I hear far bigger cheers when Milner's name is mentioned on the Tannoy. I hear far more chants for Milner at the Etihad than I hear for Silva.

I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing, what I'm saying is, the idea that Milner is an unsung hero is just absolute bollocks. He's probably the most popular player at the club among home fans.

It's a trend with City fans to love the workhorse over the magician, like I say I remember it starting in the Dickov era. Far more talented players like Berkovic and Bernarbia got nowhere near the level of adulation from fans as Dickov, because of the workrate.

You couldn't imagine Darren Fletcher getting the same praise as Paul Scholes, or Ray Parlour getting a louder cheer than Denis Bergkamp. It's something that City fans have done with Dickov, Bellamy and Milner, they are the most popular player's at the club because of their work rate. The trend probably started out of desperation when we were in the third tier and desperate.

Put it this way, I couldn't imagine any other top 6 club if they had our incredible squad of players where Milner would be the most popular player among home fans.

Yep, completely agreeable. Just the last bit I struggle with slightly. It is obvious to see he isn't the most gifted. I actually liken him to Navas. They don't do what Silva does, Yaya, Nasri.... but they both give their all. They both perform to the best of their abilities.

I don't understand your last sentence :/ It's a human nature quality. As a fan, to back the trier, to empathize with the (as it were) underdog. I am not saying he isn't replaceable. But I prefer to think, and I hope rightly, that the fans see the value in his utility and his performances.

Incidentally, I don't think Milner is the most popular player. I think it's Zabaleta. But they are similar players. Hence my point about fans backing the workhorse.

its just that Zabaleta would get into every top team in Europe, Milner would not get into any.

Totally agree. When people rave about Milner I ask them would they start him ahead of Silva or Nasri. Then I ask them would he get in Chelsea, Real, Barca or Bayern's team. Of course he wouldn't.

Shaelumstash said:
crmcfc said:
TangerineSteve17 said:

Totally agree. When people rave about Milner I ask them would they start him ahead of Silva or Nasri. Then I ask them would he get in Chelsea, Real, Barca or Bayern's team. Of course he wouldn't.

Jimmy does what he is asked to do,and IMO he does it very well,never moans,just gets on with it..
Of his 114 apps for us so far,70 have been as a sub,his stats ain't exactly going to be through the roof,are they.

SPIDERBOY said:
Shaelumstash said:
crmcfc said:

Jimmy does what he is asked to do,and IMO he does it very well,never moans,just gets on with it..
Of his 114 apps for us so far,70 have been as a sub,his stats ain't exactly going to be through the roof,are they.

I completely agree with you. He's an excellent squad man, fills in wherever he's asked, does his best every time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.