Player thread: James Milner (2014/15)

Exeter Blue I am here said:
bluemoon32 said:
He's been good for us but we should be looking at better.

I see a lot of posts like this, and they seem to miss the point that the Premier League is a fairly unique beast in world football. Brawn and graft are very useful commodities to have in it, and Milner has helped pull City over the line on many occasions, when our technically superior players have come up short. Yes, he has shit games as well, but for me he's an invaluable member of squad, who leads by example. I still hope he will stay, although it looks a long odds bet

He's not invaluable, except in so much as we will never know what transfer fee we might have got for him.

He's going to go because he wants the cash; cash that City are missing out on in the shape of a transfer fee.

OB1 said:
bluemoon32 said:
He's been good for us but we should be looking at better.

I see a lot of posts like this, and they seem to miss the point that the Premier League is a fairly unique beast in world football. Brawn and graft are very useful commodities to have in it, and Milner has helped pull City over the line on many occasions, when our technically superior players have come up short. Yes, he has shit games as well, but for me he's an invaluable member of squad, who leads by example. I still hope he will stay, although it looks a long odds bet

He's not invaluable, except in so much as we will never know what transfer fee we might have got for him.

He's going to go because he wants the cash; cash that City are missing out on in the shape of a transfer fee.

I know, but it's not like we didn't know when his contract was due to expire. The onus was on us to either get him to sign up 2 years ago or flog him. We did neither

OB1 said:
Damocles said:
Navas was a huge upgrade on "nobody". Pacey wide winger we'd been after since 2010. Could do with one on the other side now!

Must admit I'd forgotten about Navas, and DiMichelis is defo an upgrade on Lescott. Not sure I'd necessarily agree about Fernandinho and Barry though. Until Gaz Baz gradually succumbed to heavy legged age in 2012/2013, he was the best holding midfield player in the Prem. An equitable trade I'd say, and I'll reserve judgment on Mangala and Bony

So, not quite as bad as you first suggested?

No, but the point was obvious. We haven't exactly covered ourselves in glory in the transfer market for 2 or 3 years

OB1 said:

I know, but it's not like we didn't know when his contract was due to expire. The onus was on us to either get him to sign up 2 years ago or flog him. We did neither

Not sure that he would have signed. We should probably have sold but he would have been under no obligation to leave so we don't know for sure if City have messed up or he is just a greedy git.

OB1 said:
OB1 said:

Not sure that he would have signed. We should probably have sold but he would have been under no obligation to leave so we don't know for sure if City have messed up or he is just a greedy git.

Also he indicated he would sign if certain conditions were met. They all have and he hasn't signed.

OB1 said:
OB1 said:

True. I do wonder how attractive a proposition the dippers will be without Chimps League football next season though, and especially if Sterling walks out the door. Might focus Mr Milner's mind hopefully!

OB1 said:
OB1 said:

Or nobody knows what Milner has been saying. Maybe the club thinks he has been on the verge of signing a new deal
and has changed his mind or had it changed form him. TBH i think it says a lot about other players at the club, that
everybody always mentions how hard working he is. We need this from the other more skillful players. Because
when we are talking about control,passing vision and decision making i think Milner needs to improve his game
considerably.

OB1 said:
Must admit I'd forgotten about Navas, and DiMichelis is defo an upgrade on Lescott. Not sure I'd necessarily agree about Fernandinho and Barry though. Until Gaz Baz gradually succumbed to heavy legged age in 2012/2013, he was the best holding midfield player in the Prem. An equitable trade I'd say, and I'll reserve judgment on Mangala and Bony

So, not quite as bad as you first suggested?

No, but the point was obvious. We haven't exactly covered ourselves in glory in the transfer market for 2 or 3 years

Oh I agree. I think we have OK and may even have marginally improved that squad overall but we have failed to take the quantum leap forward that we need to get to the next rung.

BringBackSwales said:
BringBackSwales said:
Question - what has every away defeat this season got in common?

and we can now add palace to that list - please play him at the swamp Manuel

I second this, apart from Kun he has shown more desire than the rest of the squad.

Please don't let this lad go

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.