Player thread: James Milner (2014/15)

I've always been a Milner fan. His honesty and endeavor have been a refreshing contrast to some of his prima dona teammates who disappear when it comes to Le Crunch.
Yes we could improve but we need 'significant' improvement not the marginal steps we have been taking.

spanishblue said:
FantasyIreland said:
We aren't 'letting him go'

he has chosen to.

And why?.
Because as a player we haven't given him the game time he truly deserves.

Shame on us

We have given him loads of games this season. He's not that good that we should be playing him just to keep him. I really want him to stay but he is not really a game changer - apart from the odd occasion. Love him but not enough to say he should play every game.

spanishblue said:
FantasyIreland said:

he has chosen to.

And why?.

Shame on us

I don't think it's shame on us...
We make choices, and we choose the team we feel is best. Milner either lives with that or he doesn't. Seems he can't and has decided to move on, fair enough.

I don't think he, or City are 'to blame' or 'at fault'. Both parties agree a contract, when the contract ends, either party does what they like, and that's what happened. IF we expected more we should have put that in the contract.

I like the lad, and I'd like him to stay. If I was picking the team, I'd have played him more, but he's played in some big games, and had a fair amount of game time. There are plenty of other players in the squad struggling to get game time too... some struggling a lot more than he is.

I guess that's just how life is at a top club like City. It wouldn't be any different at another top club. If game time really matter to him, I can't begrudge him moving to a club where he'll get it. Inevitably, that's likely to be a lesser performing club.

FanchesterCity said:
spanishblue said:
FantasyIreland said:

he has chosen to.

And why?.

Shame on us

I don't think it's shame on us...
We make choices, and we choose the team we feel is best. Milner either lives with that or he doesn't. Seems he can't and has decided to move on, fair enough.

I don't think he, or City are 'to blame' or 'at fault'. Both parties agree a contract, when the contract ends, either party does what they like, and that's what happened. IF we expected more we should have put that in the contract.

I like the lad, and I'd like him to stay. If I was picking the team, I'd have played him more, but he's played in some big games, and had a fair amount of game time. There are plenty of other players in the squad struggling to get game time too... some struggling a lot more than he is.

I guess that's just how life is at a top club like City. It wouldn't be any different at another top club. If game time really matter to him, I can't begrudge him moving to a club where he'll get it. Inevitably, that's likely to be a lesser performing club.

Spot on. Jimmy is a free agent and is at liberty to do as he wishes. I would hope he stayed, but I shall not be calling him out if he decides to go.

Sorry, how much time does he deserve? He said he'd be happy with a little more time and big games than last season and got that before January, then turned us down when we offered the contract. He played 90' vs. Arsenal, 90' vs. Chelsea, 90' vs. Spurs, 70' vs. United, 66' vs. Bayern, 90' vs. Everton, 90' vs. Roma (away) before January. It seems to me that City complied with his requests then he turned down the contract anyway.

He plays less now, maybe because he's told us to piss off after giving the club a false impression. If he was Ivorian and named Yaya Toure, I suspect his treatment would be a little different on here.

It all started in the league cup final last season, where we used 14 foreigner players, a lot of whom were/are mediocre, making mugs out of Lescott, Richards and Milner himself who had brought family members down to London and featured heavily in the previous rounds.

This season, Jesus Navas has played more than him, which would be enough to make any player seek a fresh start; he's not the best footballer in the squad, but Milner eclipses Navas in every department other than pace, and it's not as if that's utilised as an asset to us.

We signed him on a 5 year contract, and he's served us well in that time; if there's a managerial change in the summer, leading to a more meritocratic environment then he might opt to stay.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.