Player thread: Samir Nasri (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Samir Nasri is NOT useless

Nasri appears to be one of those footballers who enjoy 'pure football' in the sense how the dutch used to play in the 70s. Pellegrini also likes the old school methods and I feel both Nasri and Dzeko will flourish with this.

I do think Nasri should be playing out wide with Silva inside and Navas on the right. I have been one of Nasri's biggest critics over the last couple of seasons but more recently I have seen glimpses of the brilliance he showed at the gooners. He can finish too which he's proven when it counts. More frequently would be nice and the link up play when he's playing with Jovetic should be immense under a 4-3-3 system

I think we've been waiting for Nasri to show up for two seasons. We've had glimpses - his debut against Spurs, the league match against Chelsea in 2012 at the Etihad, the semi against Chelsea, but then back to the invisible Nasri. Last night he was well forward, got the ball at his feet and tried to cause trouble, which he did. He can play passes over very short distances, hold the ball well, dribble exceptionally well and is hard to shake off it. Very good game last night, but he has to do them consistently, because all these are things Jovetic does very well too. But both are top quality when fit and on form.

I think we've been waiting for Nasri to show up for two seasons. We've had glimpses - his debut against Spurs, the league match against Chelsea in 2012 at the Etihad, the semi against Chelsea, but then back to the invisible Nasri. Last night he was well forward, got the ball at his feet and tried to cause trouble, which he did. He can play passes over very short distances, hold the ball well, dribble exceptionally well and is hard to shake off it. Very good game last night, but he has to do them consistently, because all these are things Jovetic does very well too. But both are top quality when fit and on form.

His work rate and enthusiasm for the game has definitely increased this season. I have never doubted his footballing talent and he can be a very important player for City this season.....I really hope he can maintain this level of performance.

I've certainly been fairly critical of this player, but he was phenomenal yesterday. He seems to really love playing combination play with Yaya, which he did a phenomenal job of yesterday.

One thought I had yesterday is that he's not particularly good out wide because he's not a particularly tricky dribbler. He's great on the ball and can retain possession, but he doesn't really beat his man with dribbles. He beats his man with movement, he's really quite adept at making a penetrating run after his pass. This is harder to do out wide and he has fewer support options. While operating inside he had more options to pass and move and it really seemed to bring out the best in his game

Liverpool Set To Launch Ambitious January Swoop For Manchester City Attacking Midfielder

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/09/18/liverpool-set-to-launch-ambitious-january-swoop-for-manchester-city-attacking-midfielder/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/09/18 ... idfielder/</a>

But despite the fact that Nasri has so far been more involved under the new City coach than he was under his predecessor, the word coming out of City is that Pellegrini is not a fan of the former Marseille star, just like Mancini was not either, and is more likely to favour the attacking players that he signed himself during the close season.

All of which means that unless Pellegrini undergoes a dramatic change of heart between now and January, then City will be prepared to let Nasri go if a club meets their £17m valuation of the player, who by that point will have just 18 months left to run on his deal in the north west

Little bit of a bold statement but I would go as far as saying that since those Chelsea games in The States back in May, Nasri has been on a whole better than Silva.

Nasri's biggest weakness however is that he keeps the ball for too long and misses his chance to pass an incisive ball, he still gets assists and he scores more than Silva, but if he got this problem out of his game he would be right up there with the best offensive midfielders in world football in my opinion.

sam-caddick said:
Little bit of a bold statement but I would go as far as saying that since those Chelsea games in The States back in May, Nasri has been on a whole better than Silva.

Nasri's biggest weakness however is that he keeps the ball for too long and misses his chance to pass an incisive ball, he still gets assists and he scores more than Silva, but if he got this problem out of his game he would be right up there with the best offensive midfielders in world football in my opinion.

Bold statement, but I'm in agreement.

neel said:
Liverpool Set To Launch Ambitious January Swoop For Manchester City Attacking Midfielder

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/09/18/liverpool-set-to-launch-ambitious-january-swoop-for-manchester-city-attacking-midfielder/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/09/18 ... idfielder/</a>
Caughtoffside is utter and complete dross. They just make up every story of theirs to get more hits.

Coming to Nasri, he is a good player, just needs to be the focal point of the midfield and be allowed to do his thing, he would be wasted on the wing, needs to play centrally. I think Silva and Nasri should be played in the same position. They don't work very well together.

sam-caddick said:

I disagree. Especially with the last portion. It is often not Nasri, who is the problem, but the recieving player. Nasri, is often looking to make a quick pass, but players never move quickly.

And I have been saying this for years, there simply isn't anyone in the league as good as Nasri "off the ball." His movement is exceptional. The # of times one City player or another failed to get the ball back to Nasri after a quick pass and incisive move by him, is nauseating. This is why he is good with Yaya. Yaya will one touch it back to you, if you do anything resembling a "barcelonaic" movement. Nasri knows this and likes drifting in around Yaya who gets it. Lots of our players often don't get what he is trying to do when he passes to them. They just put their heads down and burly on (Yes Aguero, Milner, Jovetic, and Kolarov I am talking mostly to you guys).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.