Player thread: Vincent Kompany (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damocles said:
I just don't think anybody in the team at all should be some sacred cow that cannot possibly be criticised otherwise you're "a rag". I don't need to prove my City credentials. It's pathetic that some people view a football player like this, really childish stuff.

I'd agree with you on this. Everybody knows you are a blue and you are as entitled to express your views on a player or indeed any subject
as much as the next man. There should be no sacred cows.

I'd disagree with you on all the other points though. We were clearly the best team in England in both 2012 and 2014 (the rags deserved
to win in 2013 much as I hate to admit it). Did we falter at times? Yes but so did our opponents. In 2012 we won the last 6 matches and in
2014 the last 5 matches. That shows mental toughness. I remember the victory in 1968 and the run in disasters of 1972 and 1977. In 68 we
showed the same toughness, in 72 (especially) and 77 we didn't. Remember in 2012 the number of easy victories the rags recorded in the run in?
Every game seemed to be the same script: Young dives, penalty given, player sent off (usually early on) and the rags pick up 3 easy points.
Yet, by the skin of our teeth and the 7-1 aggregate victories against them we won the bloody thing for the first time in 44 years.

We didn't lose the title decider at Anfield last season. IT WASN'T THE TITLE DECIDER! We narrowly lost a match we should have won as much
by inept referring as by mistakes by our captain. I've been critical of Vinny at times but that day the only real criticism of him is that he played
when he was half fit. He shouldn't have played but leaders lead from the front and wrong though his decision was to play I admire him for it.

You've called our team and fan base weak. The pressure is really on now for all of us, at this time I suggest you look in the mirror.

Wilf Wild 1937 said:
You've called our team and fan base weak.
He's certainly not wrong about our fan base, just look in most threads on here at the moment, and the majority have already surrendered the title to Chelsea, and the CL to a defeat next week, the majority of the players are "shit", or "weak". Not everyone has given up, but it certainly feels like the majority on here have, and its sad to see. Its at this stage of the season that everyone should be pulling in the same direction, and for the fans that should mean getting right behind the team and "supporting" them, yet most have simply waved the white flag (not dissimilar to what happened after the Arsenal defeat in 2012, and the Liverpool defeat in 2014).

As for Vinny, I have some sympathy for what Damocles has posted, and have said it plenty of times recently that he's trying too hard, probably cares too much, and as a result, his form is poor, and he's mistake prone. He needs to get back to doing what he's good at, doing the simple things, and letting others do their own jobs.

cleavers said:
Wilf Wild 1937 said:
He's certainly not wrong about our fan base, just look in most threads on here at the moment, and the majority have already surrendered the title to Chelsea, and the CL to a defeat next week, the majority of the players are "shit", or "weak". Not everyone has given up, but it certainly feels like the majority on here have, and its sad to see. Its at this stage of the season that everyone should be pulling in the same direction, and for the fans that should mean getting right behind the team and "supporting" them, yet most have simply waved the white flag (not dissimilar to what happened after the Arsenal defeat in 2012, and the Liverpool defeat in 2014).

As for Vinny, I have some sympathy for what Damocles has posted, and have said it plenty of times recently that he's trying too hard, probably cares too much, and as a result, his form is poor, and he's mistake prone. He needs to get back to doing what he's good at, doing the simple things, and letting others do their own jobs.

I'd agree with you that we should all be pulling in the same direction. If we win all 10 remaining league games or even 9 we've a great
chance of retaining the league, Chelsea have been overrated by the media. The CL is unlikely but being City in a perverse way that makes
it almost odds on! We do certainly have a lot of fans who give up all too easily, the attendances against WBA in both 2012 & 2014 plus
Leicester this season are evidence of people prematurely throwing in the towel.

As for Vinny I'd keep him as captain but only bring him back into the team when his form merits it. I think he can be his own worst enemy
at times rushing back from injury before he's really. Really it's the same situation Joe was in last season. Everybody knew that long term he
was the number 1 keeper but only Pellegrini was in the position to decide when to reintroduce him. I think we've got to trust the manager
on this one. If he plays him against Burnley fine. If he doesn't play him also fine. We've a squad of players and we need to support whichever
eleven play.

Wilf Wild 1937 said:
cleavers said:
Wilf Wild 1937 said:

I'd agree with you that we should all be pulling in the same direction. If we win all 10 remaining league games or even 9 we've a great
chance of retaining the league, Chelsea have been overrated by the media. The CL is unlikely but being City in a perverse way that makes
it almost odds on! We do certainly have a lot of fans who give up all too easily, the attendances against WBA in both 2012 & 2014 plus
Leicester this season are evidence of people prematurely throwing in the towel.

As for Vinny I'd keep him as captain but only bring him back into the team when his form merits it. I think he can be his own worst enemy
at times rushing back from injury before he's really. Really it's the same situation Joe was in last season. Everybody knew that long term he
was the number 1 keeper but only Pellegrini was in the position to decide when to reintroduce him. I think we've got to trust the manager
on this one. If he plays him against Burnley fine. If he doesn't play him also fine. We've a squad of players and we need to support whichever
eleven play.

Nice to see some sense back in this thread

Wilf Wild 1937 said:
Damocles said:
I just don't think anybody in the team at all should be some sacred cow that cannot possibly be criticised otherwise you're "a rag". I don't need to prove my City credentials. It's pathetic that some people view a football player like this, really childish stuff.

I'd agree with you on this. Everybody knows you are a blue and you are as entitled to express your views on a player or indeed any subject

I'd disagree with you on all the other points though. We were clearly the best team in England in both 2012 and 2014 (the rags deserved
to win in 2013 much as I hate to admit it). Did we falter at times? Yes but so did our opponents. In 2012 we won the last 6 matches and in
2014 the last 5 matches. That shows mental toughness. I remember the victory in 1968 and the run in disasters of 1972 and 1977. In 68 we
showed the same toughness, in 72 (especially) and 77 we didn't. Remember in 2012 the number of easy victories the rags recorded in the run in?
Every game seemed to be the same script: Young dives, penalty given, player sent off (usually early on) and the rags pick up 3 easy points.
Yet, by the skin of our teeth and the 7-1 aggregate victories against them we won the bloody thing for the first time in 44 years.

We didn't lose the title decider at Anfield last season. IT WASN'T THE TITLE DECIDER! We narrowly lost a match we should have won as much
by inept referring as by mistakes by our captain. I've been critical of Vinny at times but that day the only real criticism of him is that he played
when he was half fit. He shouldn't have played but leaders lead from the front and wrong though his decision was to play I admire him for it.

You've called our team and fan base weak. The pressure is really on now for all of us, at this time I suggest you look in the mirror.

I think you've made v good points. When fans who are clearly blues get called rags- it's because it's fucking annoying to hear such dreadful statements even if they are borne out of disappointment & frustration. We expect players to stand up & be counted. I feel that fans are needed more when the team is having a sticky spell & that's when some fans let us down. Like they say - it's easy to sing when they're winning any plastic can do that

CC1 said:
Wilf Wild 1937 said:
Damocles said:

I think you've made v good points. When fans who are clearly blues get called rags- it's because it's fucking annoying to hear such dreadful statements even if they are borne out of disappointment & frustration. We expect players to stand up & be counted. I feel that fans are needed more when the team is having a sticky spell & that's when some fans let us down. Like they say - it's easy to sing when they're winning any plastic can do that

You still don't understand. My views on Kompany as a captain are NOT borne out of frustration or disappointment. I don't think he's a good captain because I don't think he has the right temperament for it. This doesn't matter if he's the best defender in the world or can't get in front of Gerard Wiekens. It's to do with how he reacts to situations and how I think a captain at a club challenging for the top honours should react to a situation.

The exact reasons that Wilf gave are why I think he's not suited as captain.

I've been critical of Vinny at times but that day the only real criticism of him is that he played

This is an example of him putting his own emotions in front of the success of the team. He thinks that "more effort" and "trying harder" are what is needed when the pressure is on when all logic and research shows that that is the exact opposite of what's needed. This is why when soldiers are under attack they don't decide to become Rambo and instead have a cool, calm head about the decisions that they make and let their training take over. Because remaining composed and confident under extreme pressure is a billion times more valuable to any team than getting carried away. Kompany gets carried away and lets his desire to "lead on the front foot" and "be a leader" dictate his decision making. He's a man doing an impression of what he thinks a great leader is rather than letting natural leadership qualities shine through.

This doesn't matter if we win the Champions League or get relegated. It's not about his form or his performances. I don't know why so many are struggling with this concept.

^^^^^^^
Stop talking crap, Vincent Kompany is a fantastic captain as history will show....
Now spout another 1000 words of nonsense to sound clever, I bet you love the sound of your own voice!!!

pride in battle said:
^^^^^^^
Stop talking crap, Vincent Kompany is a fantastic captain as history will show....
Now spout another 1000 words of nonsense to sound clever, I bet you love the sound of your own voice!!!

Genuine question. How do you define fantastic?

pride in battle said:
^^^^^^^

The fact that these are the amazing levels of replies I keep getting tell me that I'm probably on to something.

Damocles said:
pride in battle said:
^^^^^^^

The fact that these are the amazing levels of replies I keep getting tell me that I'm probably on to something.

Vinny has been our captain through the most incredible period in this club's history. He's led us well and he's delivered the goods on the pitch and off it. I find him a honest, inspirational and articulate leader, who's held this team together and performed admirably well on numerous occasions when the pressure has been on. I see absolutely no benefit in removing the captaincy from him, and on the contrary, I see this as an extremely dangerous and potentially destabilising move that could seriously backfire if we were crazy enough to go down this route, because far from Kompany being a liability, he's an integral part of everything that's been good about our club since his arrival and we're extremely lucky to have him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.