Player thread: Vincent Kompany (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dax777 said:
lasereyes said:
Dax777 said:
But it wasn't just one game though. He might be exaggerating, but Vinny's consistency has dipped for a while now.

These guys are not machines. He has not been quite at his peak level, but I recall similar stuff being said last year, and he returned from injury, found his feet and was one of our top 3 or 4 players in the run-in. It is silly to pass judgment in his first game back from injury. By the same score, are we saying Aguero is useless?
Aguero has 14 goals and at least 12 dominant games this season. Vinny has 2. Dominant games. Fewer than everyone bar Mangala and Fernando. So when folks say he hasn't been as good, and is a bit overrated, they have a legitimate claim.

By the way, he wasn't one of our top 3-4 players in the run in either. Check the player of the month threads from the period. Check the stats, watch the games from the run in. He's had great games, but they've become farther apart and the mistakes and rash decisions have become more common place.
Those are just facts.

Sorry bud, those are not facts - they are your opinions. And I didn't say player of the month. I said one of our top 3 or 4 players in the run-in. Along with Toure, Silva and Dzeko. He and MDM were a very solid partnership.

I can think of 19 other premier league teams who would love to have Kompany in their starting 11 each week.

Ok so yesterday wasn't his finest hour but that goes for every other blue on the pitch.

Still a guy i would want in the trenches with me every time and the first defender on my team sheet.

Maybe the injuries are catching him up but no doubts Kompany is our best defender.

Ray78 said:
Maybe the injuries are catching him up but no doubts Kompany is our best defender.

Kompany is by far our best defender when on top form. In fact he is possibly the best CB in the world when on form. However, Demichellis has been the more consistent player for over a year now.

Going back to the Barca game where Demi got sent off, it was Martin who had Messi in his back pocket and it was Kompany who inexplicably played Messi onside in the build up to the sending off.

IMO since that game Demi has been the better player.

Just seen VK showing remarkable restraint after The Arse pen. Had he been walking the back streets of Brussels I think His Eminence The Right Honorable Michael Dean, now known as The Wirral's Whistling Wanker, would have suffered a life-ending incident! A nano-newton of force on the Arse player and he's over!!

Komps is our best defender when switched on, but by his high standard this season has been poor.

Not sure why he strays from a central position so often and he dives in recklessly sometimes.

lasereyes said:
Dax777 said:
lasereyes said:
These guys are not machines. He has not been quite at his peak level, but I recall similar stuff being said last year, and he returned from injury, found his feet and was one of our top 3 or 4 players in the run-in. It is silly to pass judgment in his first game back from injury. By the same score, are we saying Aguero is useless?
Aguero has 14 goals and at least 12 dominant games this season. Vinny has 2. Dominant games. Fewer than everyone bar Mangala and Fernando. So when folks say he hasn't been as good, and is a bit overrated, they have a legitimate claim.

By the way, he wasn't one of our top 3-4 players in the run in either. Check the player of the month threads from the period. Check the stats, watch the games from the run in. He's had great games, but they've become farther apart and the mistakes and rash decisions have become more common place.
Those are just facts.

Sorry bud, those are not facts - they are your opinions. And I didn't say player of the month. I said one of our top 3 or 4 players in the run-in. Along with Toure, Silva and Dzeko. He and MDM were a very solid partnership.
Sure! Of which MDM was the better CB in that period, both when he was in and when MDM had to run it all by himself with below par players. If you disagree please say so, but I'll contend MDM was better in the run in, add Silva, Dzeko, Toure, and the consistent Zab on the right, you already have 5 who were better. This doesn't include how Nasri an Garcia in particular stepped up big in that period.
I understand that the Kompany love ( I have it too) often colors perception. But the fact remains many, perhaps more than half the squad were generally better in the run in... He was the one with the poor clearance that lost us the game at Pool, and in the following 6 games, he was spectacular Once (West ham) when he dominated and also scored, otherwise he had 3 average games and 2 decent ones. In Comparison MDM was a beast against Brom, Palace and Villa, and just as good at WH bar Komps goal. Zab was dominant in almost every game. Kolarov had 2 monster game and Clichy the same. Yaya and Nasri were the dominant forces in midfield, and Aguero and Dzeko interchange one game on and the other off. Garcia pretty much benched Dihno with his play. This revisionist vision that he was one of the best is just that, revisionist. Zaba was the best defender in the run in, MD was the best CB and both Clichy and Kolarov were hot in that period. To be fair defensively, we were seldom on the receiving end. We simply blitzed teams, the only bad game being at Sunderland.
So to suggest Kompany who wasn't the best defender in that period ( Zaba by a mile) and Arguably not the better CB, as MDM was in lights out mode, not only defending but organizing the defense like a seasoned vet, add the monster games Garcia had at DM that kept Dihno rooted to the bench, Clichy and Kola doing their best to outshine each other with every start they got, pretty much all Kompany did was just fit in. He was good, as everyone stepped up, but he wasn't "key". That honor is reserved for those who shined the brightest in that period. And in no particular order that was: Zab, Yaya, Nasri, MDM, Gatcia, Dzeko, and Aguero. Those were the stars of that period. Everyone es.se was good, but none of the other shone as bright as the above. And certainly not Komps.
So when I say he hasn't been playing consistently at world class level since our first Teague trophy, it's not an exaggeration. He just hasn't.

Martin has been the best defender at the club for over a year. Consistent, available most of the time and tactically astute. Vinny has been in and out for injury and prone to rashness. One week he can look excellent and solid, the next uncharacteristically erratic. He needs to regain fitness (much like Sergio) and remain composed. With his ability and prior levels of performance, the rest will follow. But I have been unsettled by his form this season. Yesterday was poor.

Just look at the two champions league games against Roma, at home with Kompany we got ran ragged and Totti made a mug of him. yet away in a huge game in a hostile atmosphere without him Demi had a strong word with Mangala before kick off about tactics and the Romans never got a sniff. Actually I'm yet to see Kompany shine on a European night, he actually really struggles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.