Player thread: Vincent Kompany (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that our best defensive partnership by a mile is Demichelis & Mangala. They complement each other perfectly, like Dunne and Distin did. Neither were world class but one knew he was going to stay close to the goal and the other could be more mobile.

Besides the fact that VK is all at sea at the moment, he and EM just don't read each other's game. Kompany & Demichelis should work but doesn't because Kompany is being exposed time and time again by his own rash decisions and poor clearances.

Summerbuzz said:
Damocles said:
RandomJ said:
I just don't think I've ever seen a player fall so fast from world class to pub team player. Is it the injuries? Has he believed his own hype? Is it the tactics? He's a shadow of what he was.

As I've said a few times in this thread to the dismay of some, he isn't a bad player but his response to challenging circumstances are to attempt to do too much and not only do his but everybody else's job too.

Often leads to him diving in, or charging out of his defensive line which a quick give-and-go can turn him, or just generally leaving him one on one out wide when we need someone dealing with the centre.

It's like he doesn't trust the players around him or is trying to set an example. Someone nailed it earlier when they said that he begins to do "Hollywood defending" when the chips are down and it exacerbates the problem instead of solving.
This is true, but it's worth adding a bit of nuance here;

He's always been a ball-winning CH who excels bringing the ball forward. But from the very start of last season, he started coming out to win the ball far more. What changed at the start of last season? I have to think it was a coaching decision as others made similar changes to their style. It's similar to how Barca and Real play against the weaker teams in their league - the CB has relatively little work to do but a lot of it is crucial, last gasp stuff, or winning the ball extremely early.

In addition to this, Mancini compensated by playing him with very conservative partners - Nastasic's quality is up for argument but his wait-and-cover approach made him a good match. Demi came in and things got worse, because he was playing on the front foot - then he both settled into the PL, and seemingly started playing a bit deeper.

Mangala is a good prospect but I can't for the life of me see how he compliments VK. I can't think of a single attribute or trait in his game that makes me hopeful here.

Also, under Mancini, VK's aggressive style and tendancy to bring the ball way out, was covered by the third DM. As things have progressed under Pellegrini, he's gone the opposite route, no defensive midfield shield, CB not bringing the ball into the opposition half, instead he asks Yaya to drop back and dictate play from very deep.

You're right in that I don't think he has particularly changed as a player in those years and he's always been like that, it was just a gripe I had on leadership.

In terms of his form I think the problem is the lack of protection he is afforded in a 2 man midfield combined with his lack of composure on when and when not to press which will break the defensive line. He's a lot closer to Luiz as a defender than many people like to admit and he had the same problem on occasion - if the players around you aren't in that form or you don't get sufficient protection to cover your faults then it can make you look a moron.

Essentially it's up to the manager to work out how best to fit him in the team and I don't think that he's done that this year with his fullback selection.

More and more I'm beginning to think that our fullbacks are fundamentally broken and it is causing disarray in the rest of the team.

Prestwich_Blue said:
The problem is that our best defensive partnership by a mile is Demichelis & Mangala. They complement each other perfectly, like Dunne and Distin did. Neither were world class but one knew he was going to stay close to the goal and the other could be more mobile.

Besides the fact that VK is all at sea at the moment, he and EM just don't read each other's game. Kompany & Demichelis should work but doesn't because Kompany is being exposed time and time again by his own rash decisions and poor clearances.

I fully agree, Mangala has had no time to ease in with a wobbly centre back partner in Kompany, poor protection from his midfield and a lack of consecutive games with a set back four, let alone a CB partner. Demichelis is by far a better organizer and communicator at least this season than Kompany.

I don't care how much potential we think Mangala has, for £42m we start him every game and with a partner alongside him.

Prestwich_Blue said:

Mangala didn't even make the bench tonight which I found surprising.

None of our defenders have been consistently good this season. None have been better than a 6/10

Good player, but in the context of great modern Premier League centre halves nowhere near Terry and Ferdinand, who were top performers at Champions League level from their mid twenties onwards.

Should we sell him? If the price is right or Real would take him in part-ex for Varane then yes. Realistically, few teams are likely to invest heavily in a declining player with shady groins.

He can still be useful to us, but it's imperative we find the right kind of player to sweep up next to him; John Stones' measured approach to defending would be the best option, with a view to giving Mangala another season before cutting our losses. Demichelis kept as the fourth option for the domestic cups and injury crisis.

Taking the armband from him would be a much-needed kick up the arse.

The problem is that he has to fly out of position due to the gulf of empty space left infront of the CBs time and time again.

Stick Schneiderlin infront of our CBs and all of them will look more comfortable and be allowed to concentrate on making sure no-one gets in behind.

As far as I'm concerned, you have to have mental issues to talk about selling Kompany.

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

Mangala didn't even make the bench tonight which I found surprising.

None of our defenders have been consistently good this season. None have been better than a 6/10

Didn't he take a knock in training yesterday?

Damocles said:
As I've said a few times in this thread to the dismay of some, he isn't a bad player but his response to challenging circumstances are to attempt to do too much and not only do his but everybody else's job too.

Often leads to him diving in, or charging out of his defensive line which a quick give-and-go can turn him, or just generally leaving him one on one out wide when we need someone dealing with the centre.

It's like he doesn't trust the players around him or is trying to set an example. Someone nailed it earlier when they said that he begins to do "Hollywood defending" when the chips are down and it exacerbates the problem instead of solving.

As a generalisation I agree with you but I think that's harsh tonight. The central defence were left badly exposed with Yaya offering nothing defensively. At times the game was played around him and he either didn't give a shit or more likely didn't have the legs to contribute.
I don't think Kompany had any option.

another fine game from vinny tonight , defensive under a lot of pressure due to yaya's and nasri's inability to do the dirty work , overrun in midfield , well done vinny and the lads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.