Player Topic: Aleks Kolarov 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's more frustrating, his defending or him trying to constantly dribble past players?

Cannot defend, never could. Sagna had no more cover in front of him yet still hasn't been a walking disaster, but apparently it's a good excuse for why Kolarov just doesn't behave like a competent defender.

This, the front four we have is exceptional, we need our fullbacks to be smart and defend well. Kolarov leaves us exposed and his error for the goal yesterday was inexplicably poor. I can't wait for Clichy to come back to shore the left side up.

The thing is I don't give a fuck what he does going forward. We have enough quality up there to not have to rely on him for that. It's defending that is his job and he just isn't very good at it. We could easily have conceded 4 goals tonight if it wasn't for Hart and that says the defence were not good.
When a team has 60-70% possession, a "full back"s job is to attack down
The wings for 60-70% of the game.

For their goal, Fernando and Fernandinho didn't track the man who scored, the two centre halves dropped five yards too deep and gave the crosser a free man to cross to and the scorer a free shot at goal, and we gave the ball away cheaply further up the pitch before all that happened. Yes Kolarov was at fault for coming in too narrow too but there were five/six players at fault for their goal, not just Kolarov, who did contribute a lot of positives to the game with the ball last night.

When a team has 60-70% possession, a "full back"s job is to attack down
The wings for 60-70% of the game.

For their goal, Fernando and Fernandinho didn't track the man who scored, the two centre halves dropped five yards too deep and gave the crosser a free man to cross to and the scorer a free shot at goal, and we gave the ball away cheaply further up the pitch before all that happened. Yes Kolarov was at fault for coming in too narrow too but there were five/six players at fault for their goal, not just Kolarov, who did contribute a lot of positives to the game with the ball last night.

Still doesn't make him a good defender and that's his primary job. Sagna gets forward but I don't see any headless chicken defending from him.

Kolorov has been a problem defensively for us for years and Clichy is prone to similar too. I find it incredible that we still haven't addressed this glaring weak area of our side.

Is he back to being crap again?
Ahh well, he got 5 games grace, couldn't last forever.

I agree with many of the comments.....defense had no protection from our midfield but Kolarov was out of position a few times and struggled against the quick winger....I think many of the concerns most of us had during the transfer window have been confirmed in the last few weeks.....leftback and CM are still very big needs that need sorting....

hmm, Aleks has never been the best defensively so i dont think we should castigate him for not being so strong at the back but then again, as a pro footballer in Europe, he probably should have a little bit more of a clue when it comes to positioning etc.

i also believe Sterling was stifled a touch by Kolarov's insistence on overlapping (Kolarov's or Pellegrini's call, i dunno). I doubt Kolarov would have played if Clichy was fit but he wasnt fit so there we go. Got away with it a touch.

Still doesn't make him a good defender and that's his primary job. Sagna gets forward but I don't see any headless chicken defending from him.

Kolorov has been a problem defensively for us for years and Clichy is prone to similar too. I find it incredible that we still haven't addressed this glaring weak area of our side.
I think next Summer, we will try and buy Pogba and two really good full backs aged about 25 years old. That will then make us a proper contender and feared team.

I think he's showing signs of fatigue through these congested fixtures that he's had to play every minute of, especially from a positional/tactical perspective.

On the whole though he's played above his usual standards. When Clichy returns he should be able to rest a bit more and hopefully he'll return to that sort of form.

Because our full back's primary job is an attacking one. One which Kolarov is fantastic at.

Who are all these world class full backs that play defensively? I can think of only Azpilicueta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.