Player topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mangala

Not sure I see what everyone else sees but atm the moment one fluke game aside he's been dire and looks to have at least 2 mistakes a game in him

K.Toure, Lescott, Nastastic, Mangala, Demichelis...

Seems to be a pattern emerging on that left hand side. I think Vinnie should count himself lucky that he has Zabaleta on his side. Kolarov/Clichy are a problem... and left back has been a major one that has been ignored since the Hughes era. Neither were any good defensively. Barry's role was critical and often went unnoticed.

There was always questions raised over how he got in our starting 11 so often. Mancini knew fully well that defensively on that left hand side, it was vulnerable. Barrys role was simple, just sit. Garcia was then brought into the fold in hope he could replicate what Barry did but just offer that bit more, instead, he was worse. Then Fernandinho came in, a great player no doubt as proved in some elements last season, but not the same holding midfielder that Barry was and what he offered was good but not what we were after. We had turned into a side where we went out to severely outscore the opposition. We can't do that now. What Barry did looks more obvious now than it did when he was here.

It was the right time to go for him, he was starting to age and errors were creeping in, especially in the CL which was where we desire to succeed. But he was never replaced. We were fortunate Negredo and Aguero were firing on all cylinders last season, because defensively we haven't been up for it in some time. Just like dominos, when one goes, the rest also fall. And the centre half on that left hand side has been carrying the left back ever since Barry left the club.

MeatnSpudsMCFC said:

Seems to be a pattern emerging on that left hand side. I think Vinnie should count himself lucky that he has Zabaleta on his side. Kolarov/Clichy are a problem... and left back has been a major one that has been ignored since the Hughes era. Neither were any good defensively. Barry's role was critical and often went unnoticed.

There was always questions raised over how he got in our starting 11 so often. Mancini knew fully well that defensively on that left hand side, it was vulnerable. Barrys role was simple, just sit. Garcia was then brought into the fold in hope he could replicate what Barry did but just offer that bit more, instead, he was worse. Then Fernandinho came in, a great player no doubt as proved in some elements last season, but not the same holding midfielder that Barry was and what he offered was good but not what we were after. We had turned into a side where we went out to severely outscore the opposition. We can't do that now. What Barry did looks more obvious now than it did when he was here.

It was the right time to go for him, he was starting to age and errors were creeping in, especially in the CL which was where we desire to succeed. But he was never replaced. We were fortunate Negredo and Aguero were firing on all cylinders last season, because defensively we haven't been up for it in some time. Just like dominos, when one goes, the rest also fall. And the centre half on that left hand side has been carrying the left back ever since Barry left the club.

Great post - I'd happily go back to NDJ and Barry. Both better than anything we have got now. Been some poor buys by city. The interesting one is Garcia. He came good at end of season and although lacks pace read the game really well and you often saw him telling VK and MDM go drop off and not come into midfield to try and win the ball. Been a big miss as fernandinho not getting a chance and Fernando woeful.

blue ranger said:
MeatnSpudsMCFC said:

Great post - I'd happily go back to NDJ and Barry. Both better than anything we have got now. Been some poor buys by city. The interesting one is Garcia. He came good at end of season and although lacks pace read the game really well and you often saw him telling VK and MDM go drop off and not come into midfield to try and win the ball. Been a big miss as fernandinho not getting a chance and Fernando woeful.

Fully agree. For the last three years we've been too obsessed with somebody's lack of pace, spending millions on a younger, faster, tactically naive replacement.

I thought he did OK yesterday in what was probably quite an intimidating arena. Crowd very close to the pitch. For me his body language looked good. He didn't hide. He has got plenty of gas and I expect in future he will go down as one of our best defenders ever.

Clichy had one of the worst performances I have seen. Everything about his game has disintegrated. Sagna is very ponderous on the other side.

So for me the Eli did well enough in a defence that is very unsure at the moment.

For me he and Fernando need more time before assessing their abilities. Demechilies was slaughtered the first part of last season. Therefore we just need to give these players a chance.

The reason why results have not been good is that we are not playing well as a team overall.

I thought Managala played okay last night, and that the problem was Clichy. He was beaten quite easily for the first goal and should have stopped the cross for the second goal.

I think Pellegrini needs to play the same 11 for a few games to try and get some coherence into the team

That will only happen once the injuries have cleared up though

Wio Gumflapdinand said:
kp789 said:
Wio Gumflapdinand said:
Didn't pay 32mil for Garcia or MD. Could have nearly had any centre back in the world for that price...yet we bought a player who has zero positional sense..fucking zero. Don't give me the "he had great game against Chelsea bull, Chelsea never came at us and Kompany let Costa know very early who was boss by the left touchline.If we think he'll come good we may aswell bring Micah back and wait for eternity again for him too to learn the basics. Rekik and Nastasic are younger and better now than this lad ever will be. Just watch his two clangers for first goal. He's crap, I thought it before we signed him, and nothing's changed that...he was playing this bad anytime I saw him last year after we became interested
Behave.

I would like to revisit this discussion at the end of next season.
I'm up for that as I am 100% sure that he is a very bad player and I will be fucking shocked if he even has one good game .(just one) between now and the end of the season.

If he was a horse, he'd be in a pie by now. Pulls his socks above his knees... More interested in 'style' than learning how to defend.
32million quid wasted on a crock of shite. A 21st century version of Steve Daley.

I hope I'm proved wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

Lavinda Past said:
Wio Gumflapdinand said:
kp789 said:
Behave.

I would like to revisit this discussion at the end of next season.
I'm up for that as I am 100% sure that he is a very bad player and I will be fucking shocked if he even has one good game .(just one) between now and the end of the season.

If he was a horse, he'd be in a pie by now. Pulls his socks above his knees... More interested in 'style' than learning how to defend.
32million quid wasted on a crock of shite. A 21st century version of Steve Daley.

I hope I'm proved wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

Bwhahahahahahahahaha

I've seen some absolute crackers in my time here but judging someone by the way they wear their socks is just superb.
Almost as good as your "if the manager doesn't win every game in the season then he's a failure" stuff

blue ranger said:
MeatnSpudsMCFC said:

Have to laugh at this. He was hounded on this site - apart from the odd post from those with some sense. The grass is always greener for many fans. There's nothing wrong with Mangala that a few months in England won't fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.