Player topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vienna_70 said:
Academica said:
callumcity said:
Yeah me too. I think he'll come good in the end and be a top class defender for us as he has all the attributes. Demi had a rough first half of the season when he joined but he's a rock now. He just needs to get used to the premier league and its high intensity plus iron out a few concentration issues and lapses of judgement. This comes with age and experience.

However I do believe we overpaid for him and that in times of FFP we could have spent £30m + more wisely. Whats alarming is that we could have had Sanchez or Costa for similar amounts.

Still prefer Mangala in defence over Sanchez or Costa.

I was about to post something similar.

Watching the game yesterday, after one Everton chance, the co-commentator couldn't wait to have a go at Mangala, such was his desperation for him to be responsible for a Toffees' goal. At least that's how it seemed to me.

FWIW, I thought he had a decent game yesterday. Yes, he made mistakes, but didn't all of our players? Well, OK, maybe not Merlin, but my point is, no player is perfect and the lad is still getting used to a new style of football, as well as everything else that goes with moving to a different country.

Give the kid a break.

Right on the money mate.

Can't understand the criticism for him yesterday. He did OK and no fucking way was that a foul on Lukaku.
Yes, he's a bit rash at times, generally, but i for one think he'll be right decent given a bit of time.
Not every player adapts to our league straightaway. Also, being young in think he needs a lot of communication.
I don't think Demichelis seems to be as vocal as Kompany and Mangala would be more assured alongside
Kompany. No way should that be taken as a slight against Martin, who i think is a cracking defender.
JUst Mangala needs more help. IMO.

callumcity said:
However I do believe we overpaid for him and that in times of FFP we could have spent £30m + more wisely. Whats alarming is that we could have had Sanchez or Costa for similar amounts.

CBs go for obscene fees nowadays, just no way around that. Look at what PSG spent on David Luiz.

BLUEisville said:
callumcity said:

CBs go for obscene fees nowadays, just no way around that. Look at what PSG spent on David Luiz.

Kompany cost us £6m. I understand he wasn't a star defender when we bought him, (or even a defender) but neither is Mangala. If we'd got EM for £15m i'd have no qualms, but we paid more than double that when we really should have been a bit more clever with our money.

Also Cahill cost Chelsea £7m, Godin cost Atletico £6m, Ivanovic £9m etc. etc.

You just need to look a bit harder and chance it on somebody. City don't sign any rough diamonds like zabba and vinny anymore they want the real deal straight away which may mean we are missing out on some quality players. Demichelis cost us peanuts and has been brilliant after a shaky few months at the start of his city career. No need to spend that much money on a defender when we already had Vinny, Demi and Nasty. Just needed one more solid option. We could and SHOULD have spent the money on a forward in the summer, either someone like Bony/Costa or someone like Sanchez. Shouldn't have waited till jan with less cash.

callumcity said:
BLUEisville said:
callumcity said:

Kompany cost us £6m. I understand he wasn't a star defender when we bought him, (or even a defender) but neither is Mangala. If we'd got EM for £15m i'd have no qualms, but we paid more than double that when we really should have been a bit more clever with our money.

Also Cahill cost Chelsea £7m, Godin cost Atletico £6m, Ivanovic £9m etc. etc.

You just need to look a bit harder and chance it on somebody. City don't sign any rough diamonds like zabba and vinny anymore they want the real deal straight away which may mean we are missing out on some quality players. Demichelis cost us peanuts and has been brilliant after a shaky few months at the start of his city career. No need to spend that much money on a defender when we already had Vinny, Demi and Nasty. Just needed one more solid option. We could and SHOULD have spent the money on a forward in the summer, either someone like Bony/Costa or someone like Sanchez. Shouldn't have waited till jan with less cash.
The problem is we've actually tried to buy a rough diamond in eliaqium mangala(and failed he's far from a diamond), but still paid the price for a world class defender.

BLUEisville said:
callumcity said:

not really. If you do a tally of the top 25 CDs, you'd find most didn't go for exorbitant prices. You simply have to do a better job scouting.

Thought paying 30 mil for him was a poor decision. This is not to say he is not a very good player. It was not a need position, nor a position that needed immediate improvement. We have 2 top 25 CBs plus a young good one. The 30 million could have been better spent on Fabregas or Sanchez, who are by a mile superior additions than Mangala has been, regardless of what the blue tinted choirboys would love to believe.

TFC said:
de niro said:
can't wait for this lad to make many on here eat their words.

Unfortunately some never will. They will just disappear when he has good performances and be back with a vengeance at any slip the lad has. Sad really, but such is Bluemoon.

I don't think that is the case at all with Mangala.It's not as if we have a witch hunt on our hands, just concerns over his performances and whether he was another expensive mistake.We have spent a huge sum of money on him and he's nowhere near the standard I would have expected for that kind of investment.Physically he's got it but his positional sense and conduct or lack of it is really worrying.He picks up careless yellow cards and once he's been booked you can't help but feel he's a red card waiting to happen.

SilvaSurfer said:
TFC said:
de niro said:
can't wait for this lad to make many on here eat their words.

Unfortunately some never will. They will just disappear when he has good performances and be back with a vengeance at any slip the lad has. Sad really, but such is Bluemoon.

I don't think that is the case at all with Mangala.It's not as if we have a witch hunt on our hands, just concerns over his performances and whether he was another expensive mistake.We have spent a huge sum of money on him and he's nowhere near the standard I would have expected for that kind of investment.Physically he's got it but his positional sense and conduct or lack of it is really worrying.He picks up careless yellow cards and once he's been booked you can't help but feel he's a red card waiting to happen.

He's been booked I think 3 or 4 times in 13 league games, at that rate he wouldn't pick up a suspension for yellows so I don't get why you're highlighting yellow cards, it's a non issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.