Player topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mangala

cleavers said:
wireblue said:
cleavers said:
You don't like him, fine, but watch what Kolarov doesn't do, he's caught up the pitch for one, Mangala is dragged out of position and the ball put in behind him, he try's to cover it, doesn't do a bad job in fact, but they score. Meanwhile the fullback, is just inside Wednesday's half as the ball goes in the net, if Clichy had been playing, Mangala would have been covering the cross, if a cross had in fact been made.

As a fullback, Kolarov is good attacking left midfielder, and nothing more, and Mangala should not be doing both jobs.

the goal was jovetic's fault initially gifting the ball away. mangala and kolarov were both pushing forward. if your player just gives the ball away you're in trouble
Yes, you have a point about how we gave the ball away, however whilst both were pushing forward, one made a big effort to get back, the other, none at all, it resulted in both CB's being out of position, and we were caught out, both CB's out of position.

I think our defenders especially full backs are told to push forward as much as possible when we have the ball even if it means leaving space behind you. what that means is we can't just gift possession away or we're fucked.
jovetic gives away possession far, far too much and it hurts us. It's a major issue with him.

cleavers said:
wireblue said:
cleavers said:
You don't like him, fine, but watch what Kolarov doesn't do, he's caught up the pitch for one, Mangala is dragged out of position and the ball put in behind him, he try's to cover it, doesn't do a bad job in fact, but they score. Meanwhile the fullback, is just inside Wednesday's half as the ball goes in the net, if Clichy had been playing, Mangala would have been covering the cross, if a cross had in fact been made.

As a fullback, Kolarov is good attacking left midfielder, and nothing more, and Mangala should not be doing both jobs.

the goal was jovetic's fault initially gifting the ball away. mangala and kolarov were both pushing forward. if your player just gives the ball away you're in trouble
Yes, you have a point about how we gave the ball away, however whilst both were pushing forward, one made a big effort to get back, the other, none at all, it resulted in both CB's being out of position, and we were caught out, both CB's out of position.

I noticed Jenas on MotD couldn't wait to point out how Eli was at fault for Wednesday's goal.

It's as if they're desperate for him to fail and prove what a waste of money he's been for us.

Vienna_70 said:
cleavers said:
wireblue said:

I noticed Jenas on MotD couldn't wait to point out how Eli was at fault for Wednesday's goal.

It's as if they're desperate for him to fail and prove what a waste of money he's been for us.

I do think he was at fault also with his positioning initially but he recovered well using his pace. Unfortunately Boyata came too far across on the cover rather than holding his position slightly which would have made the pass to Nuihi much more difficult & the danger would probably have been cut out. Watch it again & you'll see Boyata doesn't get across enough to cut out cross or hold his position to track Nuihi & ends up doing neither.

wireblue said:
cleavers said:
wireblue said:

I think our defenders especially full backs are told to push forward as much as possible when we have the ball even if it means leaving space behind you. what that means is we can't just gift possession away or we're fucked.
jovetic gives away possession far, far too much and it hurts us. It's a major issue with him.
I can't argue with that, and I won't, I know, and like this way of playing, but accept that it carries risk to a counter attack if we give the ball away, but when that happens the least I expect is for the defensive players to make the effort to get back. Mangala was also caught to high up the pitch, but he put in the effort to solve the situation, it didn't work, but the left back made no effort at all, and that for me isn't good enough, Mangala has played nearly ever game recently, Kolarov has played few, and should be fresh enough to make that effort.

cleavers said:
wireblue said:
cleavers said:

I can't argue with that, and I won't, I know, and like this way of playing, but accept that it carries risk to a counter attack if we give the ball away, but when that happens the least I expect is for the defensive players to make the effort to get back. Mangala was also caught to high up the pitch, but he put in the effort to solve the situation, it didn't work, but the left back made no effort at all, and that for me isn't good enough, Mangala has played nearly ever game recently, Kolarov has played few, and should be fresh enough to make that effort.

yes he should certainly try and get back.
there's no way that goal was mangala's fault though

cleavers said:
wireblue said:
cleavers said:

All of which is fair enough. But as compared to AK, Mangala is a much more important figure for our club's future. That's why, I think, so many of us are concerned at the amount of errors Eli makes, and the uncertainty he brings to the centre of our defence.

Ballymagash Blue said:
All of which is fair enough. But as compared to AK, Mangala is a much more important figure for our club's future. That's why, I think, so many of us are concerned at the amount of errors Eli makes, and the uncertainty he brings to the centre of our defence.
A young CB will always make mistakes, its how they deal with it that matters, he doesn't let it worry him, that's a good trait for me.

Also if you look at when his mistakes are most often made, he's alongside the same fullback, that should tell you something. I'm confident that Mangala will become a great city player, if for no more reason than who he plays alongside.

We have three very good CB's, and one that is looking better and more confident each time I see him, that's a very good position to be in.

Mangala needs time to adjust to a very different pace of football in England, and he needs games to do that, today will have been a very good lesson for him, he was the senior defender in that team for me, and he came through it well, it wasn't his best game, he made some mistakes, but he will have gained a great deal from it.

We've spent over £30m on a player that's no better than Nastasic. What a waste

cleavers said:
Ballymagash Blue said:
A young CB will always make mistakes, its how they deal with it that matters, he doesn't let it worry him, that's a good trait for me.

Also if you look at when his mistakes are most often made, he's alongside the same fullback, that should tell you something. I'm confident that Mangala will become a great city player, if for no more reason than who he plays alongside.

We have three very good CB's, and one that is looking better and more confident each time I see him, that's a very good position to be in.

Mangala needs time to adjust to a very different pace of football in England, and he needs games to do that, today will have been a very good lesson for him, he was the senior defender in that team for me, and he came through it well, it wasn't his best game, he made some mistakes, but he will have gained a great deal from it.

You're probably right. But the second half of this season is shaping up to be really white knuckle stuff. We will not be able to afford a rookie's mistakes when everything's at stake.

He fucked up positionally prior to the goal today & should have dealt with it easily rather than letting the bloke get a run on him, but there were mistakes by others prior to that, & I don't understand why nobody was back to cover the scorer. So he was no more responsible than several others.

He did plenty of good stuff too. Similarly, vs Sunderland, he was shite in the run up to zabbas penalty foul, but no worse than Clichy, or Zabba. He made a lot of good challenges in that game.

It's taking the rough with the smooth at the moment, & may be like that for a year or two, but most of our defenders do the same, even Vinny. They are often left exposed, so shit happens. So long as players get stuck in & fight & the team does mostly ok, we are not so bad.

It's the ones who leave it to others that I don't like. Mangala doesn't hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.