Player topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mangala

Damocles said:
bluechampion7891 said:
flyer said:
1. Fact
2. Opinion with no factual basis
3. Hopefulness with no factual basis

Still, one out of three ain't bad

n13x1v.png

better in a lot of categories, dont you think, without the added benefit of 1 year of PL experience?
will improve definitely

Jesus Christ,

STATISTICS CANNOT BE USED TO COMPARE ACROSS PLAYERS AND CANNOT BE USED TO MAKE ANY OBSERVATIONS ON PLAYERS OR THEIR HABITS.

The misuses of statistics within football fans drives me mad. Just because something is a number doesn't mean that it is any more correct or factual than "I like him because I think he's better"

while I generally agree with you (for e.g the no. of times I have seen the key passes stats to back nasri up - good player IMO but isn't better than Silva creatively), they are sometimes useful in portraying certain aspects. Or in other cases shutting up obvious WUMs

as far as comparing the players in question concerned, it tells that mangala is better aerially and that is something that matches what I see.

we go on about nastasic reading the game better and that is shown in his interceptions being slightly better

and so on

i do however in general agree with you. Statistics alone don't tell the whole story but you match your interpretation of what you see with actual figures

Marvin said:
Kolarov has won two League titles, the FA Cup and League Cup and played under two managers at City.
What relevance has this to Mangala ? Mangala has been here 4 months, and couldn't possibly have won a trophy yet, it doesn't make him worse than Kolarov.

4 months in the PL, having come from Portugal, rarely with the same CB partner, or full back. Why can't people just accept he's on a steep learning curve, and its gradually clicking together.

Marvin said:
FantasyIreland said:
bobmcfc said:
Still think this guy is getting far too much slack when players like kolorov (who are normally brilliant btw) are being battered from pillar to post. Clichy was the target for the distain not too long ago yet this guy can do no wrong whatsoever

Would you think Kolarov was brilliant if he looked like Ian Dowie?

Mangala is getting 'slack' because he has shown every trait that suggests he wants to be the best,he has the ability to be so,and he wants to do it for Manchester City.

We're talking different worlds where the two are concerned.
Kolarov has won two League titles, the FA Cup and League Cup and played under two managers at City.

Yes he's been very fortunate that he has been in a team full of players superior to him and that due to FFP we have been unable to replace him.

Anyway,i'm off topic......Mangala will win plenty with us,and he'll be pivotal.

cleavers said:
Marvin said:
What relevance has this to Mangala ? Mangala has been here 4 months, and couldn't possibly have won a trophy yet, it doesn't make him worse than Kolarov.

4 months in the PL, having come from Portugal, rarely with the same CB partner, or full back. Why can't people just accept he's on a steep learning curve, and its gradually clicking together.

Things didn't look they were clicking against Burnley, and they certainly weren't clicking yesterday. And this against mediocre opposition.

I think many of us who are critical of Eli see his potential, and, equally, those who think he's a future superstar see his flaws. It's the extremes in his performance levels that are so baffling, and why we all must hope that Vinny is back soon, and stays fit.

Ballymagash Blue said:
Things didn't look they were clicking against Burnley, and they certainly weren't clicking yesterday. And this against mediocre opposition.
If you'd looked, you'd have seen the reason why, it was invariably not in position, and sometimes not even trying to be, whilst sometimes arguing with the crowd (both games).

Thanks joe said:
The mangalators to slow.. FFS.. He's a luxury buy...FFS..
No better the nasty.. Or LESCOTT.. FFS...
some haven't got a fucking clue..
Yes he will make mistakes.. Who the fuck doesn't..
If I could be arsed Id go back and look what you lot said about Demi .. and more interestingly.. what you said about lescott /nasty ....... MANGALA has the making to be a top class defender.. Give the lad a break... You bunch of tossers..

Time to nail this crap on the head. Check out my posts on Demi. Read the vicious abuse aimed at me and a few (very few) others for defending him. Read my posts defending Javi Garcia, and again the vile abuse as a reward. Read also my defence of Yaya from really disgusting abuse on threads that emerged here during the summer.

The MDM v Eli comparison is not relevant. MDM arrived at City with a far stronger pedigree than Eli. Light years apart in terms of experience and achievements. The debate about Mangala is a legitimate one. He is error prone, at times reckless, and looks like an accident waiting to happen. We are entering a crucial stage in the season. We're the best side in the league, and have been for a long time. We do not need a central defender who has a permanent dose of the jim-jams destabilising the whole team.

Ballymagash Blue said:
We do not need a central defender who has a permanent dose of the jim-jams destabilising the whole team.
You pick out 2 games, I don't even agree with one of them, as I thought he was fine yesterday, both these games had a particularly under-perfoming left back alongside him.

4 months he's been here, 4 months, he's had some good games, and some not so good games, but he's 23 in a new league, doing OK, just like Demichelis was at a similar stage last season.

Mangler is a fantastic name. I hope that sticks even when he's ironed out his rash decision making and becomes one of the best centre-backs in the league. I think he oozes potential, it's a cliché but he 'has all the tools' He's two footed, good with the ball at his feet, strong powerful etc etc.
I can tell, just at the moment, that he is panicking occasionally on the pitch. I think he needs to dial his adventurous streak down a little a bit and concentrate on just defending more. I really do think he'll become consistent given the time, especially if he can get some games next to our leader Kompany.

captain kompany ain't exactly spotless either.
rash, impetuous and that's just this season after how
many years experience. defender's make mistakes.....
Silva makes mistakes. aguero was called selfish plenty
of times this season when he missed chances with player's
in better positions to score and he didn't pass.
new system, new country give mangala a break.

bluechampion7891 said:
flyer said:
Vienna_70 said:
Wrong on two of your three points.

1. We spent £32 million on Mangala. Correct.
2. He is much better than Nastasić. Incorrect.
3. It's not a waste, as will be proven in the long run. Incorrect.

Still, one out of three ain't bad.

1. Fact
2. Opinion with no factual basis
3. Hopefulness with no factual basis

Still, one out of three ain't bad

n13x1v.png

better in a lot of categories, dont you think, without the added benefit of 1 year of PL experience?
will improve definitely

Fuck me, you're right

Best £30m we've ever spent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.