Player Topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel I am certainly in the minority here but until the spurs match I thought Mangala had been doing fine. He was terrible in that match, but before I don't remember having many complaints.

When he made his debut last season v CFC he had a storming game. The best CB performance since VK headed past MANUre for the effective title win! Since then he has been 'variable', but yer right , he was building up a consistent run of games and of all the CBs we have, he is the only one who has pace to spare! I like The Mangler, but I liked Dave Ewing as well!

When he made his debut last season v CFC he had a storming game. The best CB performance since VK headed past MANUre for the effective title win! Since then he has been 'variable', but yer right , he was building up a consistent run of games and of all the CBs we have, he is the only one who has pace to spare! I like The Mangler, but I liked Dave Ewing as well!

I should have specified this season, last season he was very up and down to be fair, as is tradition when we get a CB (otamendi bucking this trend)

I feel I am certainly in the minority here but until the spurs match I thought Mangala had been doing fine. He was terrible in that match, but before I don't remember having many complaints.

He didn't play against Spurs this season

I think its got more to do with the constant back 4 changes than anything tbh. I think all our back 4 are decent but need a good pairing to be played consistently.
It goes back to what I was saying in another thread about VK's constant injuries so he is in and out all the time being so detrimental to the team.
I think until we are happy that hes fit and maybe even played in some reserve games we should put Otamendi and Mangala together as a pairing and let them learn each others game.

Think he'll be one of those late bloomer type players who if you stick with him will pay dividends if we can take a long term view with him. CB seems to ba position that many players have to grow into at top level.
Boateng and Savic improved immeasurably after we let them go.

I think its got more to do with the constant back 4 changes than anything tbh. I think all our back 4 are decent but need a good pairing to be played consistently.
It goes back to what I was saying in another thread about VK's constant injuries so he is in and out all the time being so detrimental to the team.
I think until we are happy that hes fit and maybe even played in some reserve games we should put Otamendi and Mangala together as a pairing and let them learn each others game.
100% agree with that. Too much swapping and changing with the back four. Someone also needs chewing out for the amount of injuries we're sustaining.

His confidence will be shot after today. The start of the season he was great and he got his confidence back and it showed. However Manuel has destroyed that now.

I don't know about you guys, but i find it absolutely hilarious how we have spent £42 bloody million pounds on a CB while we have a guy who cost nothing, kicked butt after butt at Celtic, is doing the same at Gala (although he's been hampered by injury) and has been let down for someone whos future at City was always going to finish soon. Im absolutely gobsmacked. Hell, I'd bet my money that Rekik would have been better than both Mangala and Demi. If things continues like this (god forbid) against Southampton , I want to start seeing Cameron Humphreys. If he can take on a world-class team like that Real Madrid team was, what's to stop him playing against Stoke or Swansea? (would be worth a try imo)
Normally, im a big defender of Mangala, but with Jason Denayer coming back next year, the likes of Cameron Humphreys and Tosin Adarabioyo developing nicely, and also with Karim Rekik on a buy-back clause (correct me if im wrong), he doesn't have time on his side

Last edited:
Think he'll be one of those late bloomer type players who if you stick with him will pay dividends if we can take a long term view with him. CB seems to ba position that many players have to grow into at top level.
Boateng and Savic improved immeasurably after we let them go.

You are right that they bloomed but in different leagues. The problem we have is that the Premier League isn't kind to centre backs. Too fast and to aggressive for some to handle especially if they come from Europe. It doesn't make them bad players at all, just not suited.

Mangala isn't a bad player, he just isn't a £40 mill Premier league centre back. He will look good for whatever team gives us 15 mill for him in the summer. He's not young, he's not raw and he's no longer new to the league. He is as good as he will be for us.

Savic, Nasty, boeteng and now him. We've struck out 4 times trying to get skilful continental style defenders now. Hopefully Oty will work out and he seems to be doing okay. He's a much more physical type.

But, I'd be thrilled for Mangala to prove me totally wrong. He seems a nice guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.