Player Topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a slight hamstring injury during the game last night - is supposed to be fit for the weekend though. But alarmingly, that is hamstring injury #14 of the season so far for us and we are in early December!

He's suspended for Saturday, that was his fifth caution of the season last night I believe

Last night was a time to shine,against weaker opponents,he managed to do it just,but there's no confidence in the lad,and even less of him from the stands,gonna be a difficult one to see how this pans out (his career at City I mean)

Perhaps he's trying too hard to make an impression now that Otamendi has come in and put pressure on his place. It's not easy for players coming in and then out of the team.

It wasn't long ago that he and Kompany were part of a very strong City defence.

I think Mangala looks great when he has better players around him. Whenever he has played with Oto or Vinny we have looked solid. And toward the end of last season when MDM was in form and playing every week they looked a good partnership.

However when things get a bit rocky and Managala is alongside players out of form or fresh back in and a bit rusty he can start to look nervy and his composure deserts him. Oto and VK are super consistent and play their own games whatever. All the component parts are there he just needs to play his own game. I think he could be an absolute monster for us with the right coaching and if he gets a good run as part of a settled back 4, finds his game and gets in to the grove.

No idea why he's getting slagged off for a game where him and his partner completely dominated the other team, not allowing them a single chance until grandpa came on and put their left back through. Some just want to find faults, today was about as comfortable a day for the centerbacks as you will see.

For me he was fine, so was Otamendi. But there was a few times they tried play the offside trap and made a mess of it(not that Hull ever managed to make anything of those) and the time he passed it to Otamendi only to see Otamendi drop back rather than step forward really highlighted that the two of them were not on the same page.

He's suspended for Saturday, that was his fifth caution of the season last night I believe
Oh right, ta. Extra week to recover. the two Argies it is then for Stoke

Shout out for the Big Man! Decent last night, I thought.

A very gradual improvement. Learning positional sense. Last night, he let Oti be the ball winner and held the line as the last man. By means perfect but better. Seems to be using his strength and speed more.

As I have said, he can get better and could yet be the defensive rick for years to come.

The boy just needs guidance specifically during matches. Some players need more than others and Mangala is one of those who does.

It's up to those around him and especially the manager to do so. Manuel sitting on the bench and having a word at half time is not what Eliaquim needs, he needs inspiration and an occasional rocket up the arse during the game as other managers do with their under-performing players.

First half there was a lack of energy all over the pitch. I don’t think you can criticise the back 4 when the pressing in front was completely ineffective.
You could use the video of that to illustrate how not to defend from the front. If you close down the man with the ball but leave another open you just ask to get the ball passed through you. You have to close down the options slightly faster than you close the man with the ball. We did that so badly last night it was comical. Closing down 2 or 3 players right up the pitch and leaving one wide open, then doing the same in midfield, then the back 4 dropping back as they were passing through us with such ease! Alarming defending as a team but not really an issue with any individual. If they are not looking at that in training this week then they need shooting.

Mangala loves defending in a (very) high line so he can use his pace to the max and therefore feels more confident. What he doesn't like is defending in and around his own penalty-area with his back to the wall. Prime exemple last nights first and second half. Still think he has an issue with keeping concentration and he should learn from Ottamendi about the sliding tackle. With Kompany out Ottamendi and Mangala should be able to keep a steady ship at the back, especially with the Porto background.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.