Player Topic: Fernando (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He proved a point today. Ran all around, defended well, supplied the ball well. It would be a tough decision to keep him out of the first team
He's not a patch on Fernandinho and I don't see him replacing Yaya anytime soon but at least he looked like a very capable backup tonight.

Looked much quicker all round tonight and much more like the player we thought he was going to be. If he keeps that level up and Delph comes back, we should have a much better and deeper CM rotation that we previously thought.

He would of been perfect for the Juve match, allowing Dino to play his natural game and bomb on when required, no way Pogba would of gotten that cross in with the two of them patrolling. Why we need to protect our defence versus one up front though is mind boggling, surely they will pick up on this deficiency soon as the spaces around Kolorov and Managala are astonishing at times.

Just me or did he look a yard quicker, his positional play was better, and he was good on the ball, looking to go forward, as I think Ric has mentioned, he's rated as high as Matic in Portugal, so if he reached a high level he could be hugely important this season.

Had his best game in a city shirt last night. As others have alluded to, he was never 100% fit last season. Hopefully see the Fernando that we thought we were buying from here on in.

He was fantastic in his debut v Newcastle last season and I thought we finally had that all round combative midfielder we needed (Fernandinho is obviously a class act but wasted on being solely defensive).

He then tailed off somewhat and like many suffered with the pace of the game. He's said himself he soon realised you couldn't switch off for any time at all in the English league whereas in Portugal you did have a chance to catch your breath. He needed to be smarter with when he exerted energy and ensure he was in the right position.

His injuries last season clearly added to his poor performances but I'm hoping he will improve on what we saw last night where he seemed to have that extra pace and energy in the midfield and was much improved. If he can live up to his ratings from Portugal then we'll have one hell of a player and some much needed cover in midfield.

I've had a go at him in the past and so now have the pleasure of congratulating him on a very solid performance last night. Most of all, he looks fitter.

Agree with what has been said previously, and if he can find some consistency then he can become a useful squad player against the weaker teams and allow Fernandinho a rest. Has to fund that consistency though.

Also reports of Milan wanting him on loan with a view to a permanent deal for 11m

We had the wind taken out of our sails last season when he went off early in the home defeat to Stoke.

Prior to that, he looked an astute signing.

Delph is a very underrated passer of the ball who can break the lines, so if Fernando has found another level, we will definitely reap the benefit of playing the two together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.