Player topic: Frank Lampard (2014/15)

Re: Frank Lampard (staying until end of season confirmed P11

GeekinGav said:
if NYCFC or Garber thought that a top professional player would be happy to sit on his arse for 8 months waiting for their season to start, obviously live on another planet, not another continent.

until they start their season inline with everyone else and not in March, they have no excuse for any bitching to the rest of the world about what is right.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Garber believes that you need a NAME in order to sell soccer in NY. It worked with Pele.
But HE was Pele. And it hasn't worked with the Red Bulls when Henry played for them. It did work with Beckam to an extent
because he drew some other players like Robbie Keane who were still good players. In a way, Garber's methods are really
hurting the MLS. He bends the rules so players like Lampard, Keane and Dempsey end up in big markets and smaller markets
like San Jose, Portland and Real Salt Lake don't have an equal chance. But the real problem facing the MLS is the xenophobia
and lack of growing culture that the sports gets. Certain media members and America football fans HATE the European football
and make sure the growth of the sport is stunted. I have no idea where this hate comes from!

yankcitizen76 said:
GeekinGav said:
if NYCFC or Garber thought that a top professional player would be happy to sit on his arse for 8 months waiting for their season to start, obviously live on another planet, not another continent.

until they start their season inline with everyone else and not in March, they have no excuse for any bitching to the rest of the world about what is right.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Garber believes that you need a NAME in order to sell soccer in NY. It worked with Pele.
But HE was Pele. And it hasn't worked with the Red Bulls when Henry played for them. It did work with Beckam to an extent
because he drew some other players like Robbie Keane who were still good players. In a way, Garber's methods are really
hurting the MLS. He bends the rules so players like Lampard, Keane and Dempsey end up in big markets and smaller markets
like San Jose, Portland and Real Salt Lake don't have an equal chance. But the real problem facing the MLS is the xenophobia
and lack of growing culture that the sports gets. Certain media members and America football fans HATE the European football
and make sure the growth of the sport is stunted
. I have no idea where this hate comes from!

Do you not also have the opposite problem, that some Americans who really love soccer are snobbish about MLS and only want to watch the higher-quality European leagues? I know a few Americans that follow the European game but have zero interest in their own domestic league.

FromPollockToSilva said:
yankcitizen76 said:
GeekinGav said:

and make sure the growth of the sport is stunted
. I have no idea where this hate comes from!

Do you not also have the opposite problem, that some Americans who really love soccer are snobbish about MLS and only want to watch the higher-quality European leagues? I know a few Americans that follow the European game but have zero interest in their own league.

Very true. But the children who watch Liverpool play have to pay money to play amateur soccer. And all their friends who play American football get more girls and more scholarships (esp. off interest in Inner Cities where sports is the only way out.) You will create more fans when you build a culture of fans. Not just ones who watch the World Cup every four years.

twenty15 said:
Damocles said:
Unfortunately you didn't. The representatives from MCFC don't owe you a single thing and certainly not an apology.

At no point did NYCFC claim Lampard would be there for the first game.

At no point did NYCFC register, or attempt to register, Lampard as a player.

Read the small print next time Chuck.

I'm sure you feel like no explanation is owed if you don't care about what happens with the new club in NY. However, someone from the CFG organization needs to address the situation. Can this really be ignored and everyone pretends that it never happened? Playing fast and loose with the truth (let alone outright lying about the contract situation) isn't the way to make a good first impression.

We should both remember that our owner has a plan that he is prepared to invest in long term using his ADUG investment team. CFG is only part of their investment arm and New York will no doubt benefit as we in Manchester have regarding investment for the formally desolate East Manchester local community, massive housing and recently University projects.
He has funded both of our teams plus others around the world so I think we should both be grateful that we have been chosen and be patient regarding the different business plans for our respective teams.

As a longtime and older than most fan of MCFC I have often despaired about our then owners and our often uncompetitive team.
This did not destroy my resolve to continue my support for them in fact it intensifies for most City fans, we enjoyed being the underdog and we are used to all the derogatory comments made by the media and fans of other more successful clubs.

We now have to get used to the success our owners have brought so this is very new to us. Believe me that if any mistakes have been made regarding real or assumed promises by our owners they will make up for this in long term investment, be patient with them and dare I say us.

Our owners have a global plan that other owners fear and up to now have shown no stomach to emulate.

I wonder if perhaps the 'confusion' over Lampards contract was allowed to persist in order to protect Frank. He leaves Chelsea saying he'll never play for another Premier league team but then pops up at City. We refer to it as a loan in order to soften the 'betrayal' to Chelsea. Turns out he is pretty popular and scores a few so we take the option to extend his contract. Frank still isn't getting any criticism. Are we playing bad cop so that frank can play good cop - presumably we are not playing him against his wishes.

Hopefully MCFC and CFG have learnt their lesson about any statement that may be used against us by UEFA (or the media generally maybe).
Maybe the disgusting way that UEFA treated our open book policy last year causing the FFP fine has made them vary wary about early production of accounts and probably public statements.

The press will interpret this the way that sells most papers but the MCFC, NYCFC and CFG business plans will steam ahead benefiting both clubs as well as the other partners.

mrbelfry said:
I wonder if perhaps the 'confusion' over Lampards contract was allowed to persist in order to protect Frank. He leaves Chelsea saying he'll never play for another Premier league team but then pops up at City. We refer to it as a loan in order to soften the 'betrayal' to Chelsea. Turns out he is pretty popular and scores a few so we take the option to extend his contract. Frank still isn't getting any criticism. Are we playing bad cop so that frank can play good cop - presumably we are not playing him against his wishes.
It's as good as any theory I've seen elsewhere

Dubai Blue said:
mrbelfry said:

It's a ridiculous theory. Why would we alienate the New York fans and risk a huge investment just to appease a player who will only be here for short time.

stony said:
Dubai Blue said:
mrbelfry said:

It's a ridiculous theory. Why would we alienate the New York fans and risk a huge investment just to appease a player who will only be here for short time.
Most of the other theories thrown around have also been ridiculous, so my point still stands!

It was interesting that Garber suggested he would join New York City in July. I guess he'll miss all of June on holiday after our season.

MLS draw comes out tomorrow so we should be able to work out how much he will miss.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.