Player topic: Jesus Navas (2014/15)

Re: Jesus Navas, good but.....

If he has been told to cut back inside and keep possession then why on earth did we buy him?

The one thing we were lacking was someone with blistering pace that would take us 50 yards up the pitch or to open up a packed defense by beating his fullback and getting inbehind the defense

I just don't think he backs himself to do it. Next time you watch him just notice how he literally passes the ball to the first blue shirt he sees when in a wide position. He should be taking some initiative and a bit of responsibility, but perhaps that is why he never really made it to the level people were expecting when he was 18/19.

Haven't you guys watched him against Sheffield united? He was taking on defenders, crossing and taking shots. I think he holds back in the premiere league due to pressure of loosing the ball

I remember being derided on here before we signed him for saying he's the Spanish Aaron Lennon. That's exactly what he's turned out to be for me. Incredible pace, fantastic against a slow full back / team that leave space in behind, but lacks the consistency to be an automatic starter for us.

He's OK. Good pace, good crosser of the ball and defends diligently when required. I'd also like to see him take defenders on more but maybe he's under instructions. He's 28, nearly 29, so he's not going to be another Ronaldo but he's a decent squad player for the money.

The back pass to Kompany from the touchline two thirds up the pitch in the 80s'th minute versus CSKA summed him up for me. He should be trying something audacious, he wasn't even under immense pressure, and what does he do, slows down play till the opposition rallies and then passes it back (doesn't even pass it laterally).

At 15 odd million I shouldn't complain, but more and more he is looking to be a player that has the attributes we needed but doesn't apply them well. I would keep him in the squad as a squad player until someone steps up from the academy, but we seriously need a pacy wide first-team, world-class option. Heck, I was against Isco but seeing him v pool, he is deceptively quick, quicker than Nasri for sure, and he is a very very good dribbler (something we need). He also seems to have been conditioned and is a lot more stronger now, and has tremendously improved his work rate. If we can't pull off Reus I wouldn't mind seeing him.

Suffers a lot from being too much faster than our other players(and our players not showing much urgency to get in the box). If he ever does charge out from a break, he invariably ends up having to slow down to wait for teamates to catch up, very rarely is there anyone in the box for him to cross it to even if he was to beat his man down the line. Very good at low crosses, pretty poor at aerial crosses.

There aren't many natural wingers like him anymore who go down the line and cross the ball and his ability to play the ball neatly and keep possession puts him a notch or two above most of them. Out of right footed, conventional right wingers, I'd have him in the top 5, which isn't too shabby for a £15m squad rotation player.

Shaelumstash said:
I remember being derided on here before we signed him for saying he's the Spanish Aaron Lennon.

He's a much better player than Lennon has ever been. Better dribbler, better passer, better crosser, better finisher, better defensively, better technically.

I understand what the OP is getting at but I suspect he's been told to only go for the byline/cross either in a counter attack, or once it seems the middle is totally blocked. This basically means 9 times out of 10 it's about keeping possession.

The obsession with some for a headless chicken style winger rages on.

BigOscar said:
Suffers a lot from being too much faster than our other players(and our players not showing much urgency to get in the box). If he ever does charge out from a break, he invariably ends up having to slow down to wait for teamates to catch up, very rarely is there anyone in the box for him to cross it to even if he was to beat his man down the line. Very good at low crosses, pretty poor at aerial crosses.

There aren't many natural wingers like him anymore who go down the line and cross the ball and his ability to play the ball neatly and keep possession puts him a notch or two above most of them. Out of right footed, conventional right wingers, I'd have him in the top 5, which isn't too shabby for a £15m squad rotation player.

Fully agree. We would all rip into him he he bombed down the line and constantly crossed to an empty box. Until players can keep up with him, his options are limited.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.