Player topic: Jesus Navas (2014/15)

I think he is a decent player but he is incredibly inconsistent and frustrating.

I think his approach is a little outdated a little because top class modern day wingers almost act as false forwards in that they attack their fullbacks, score plenty of goals and assist frequently as well.

I like him but for me he is an impact sub at best, when you compare his position to other top teams with the likes of Robben and Ribery at Bayern, Ronaldo and Bale at Madrid, Hazard and Willian at Chelsea, Neymar and Messi at Barcelona etc.. Navas isn't in that league an that's why we should be trying to match if not better.

I appreciate Navas's dogma and commitment to defending but wish he'd have a go offensively down the wing and take his man on instead of frequently cutting in and making a safe pass, he appears shackled. He may be lacking true confidence in himself but I'd like to see him play with a more abandoned spirit, the results could be fruitful for him and the team. I think he has the potential he just needs the correct mindset.

Until he learns to beat the first man with his crosses he will never reach his potential. His speed is frightening but his apparent lack of confidence to take a defender on is drastically limiting the damage he can cause to teams. By cutting inside on numerous occasions he is slowing play down and allowing the opposition to set up their defensive lines, lines that this season we have really struggled to penetrate due to injuries, players loss of form and a general lack of directness that over the past couple of seasons has seen us exploit teams. Only one person dictates the rhythm of our play and I'm not sure MP will be around next season to make good his mistakes from this season. A different manager may play Navas is a slightly different role that maximises his effectiveness, time will tell.

I actually think he's one our most naturally gifted players. It's a shame that he seems to face a constant battle with anxiety. Still a valuable asset

sam-caddick said:
I think he is a decent player but he is incredibly inconsistent and frustrating.

I think his approach is a little outdated a little because top class modern day wingers almost act as false forwards in that they attack their fullbacks, score plenty of goals and assist frequently as well.

I like him but for me he is an impact sub at best, when you compare his position to other top teams with the likes of Robben and Ribery at Bayern, Ronaldo and Bale at Madrid, Hazard and Willian at Chelsea, Neymar and Messi at Barcelona etc.. Navas isn't in that league an that's why we should be trying to match if not better.

I've learnt something today, there are some unbelievable out and out wingers in the above list - really???????????

And I don't think we paid 80,000,000+ for him so it is not surprising he is not in their class.

I think he's been an absolutely brilliant signing, & with Negredo & Fernandinho, gave us the jump start we needed to be Champions last season. All three made an immense difference to the half arsed way we finished the previous season.

He has carried that on this season, but lacked both energetic support, & especially lacked Negredo. But he's still getting more assists than most & putting more balls into the six yard box, which should be scored from, than most, & working his nuts off when we lose the ball.

Navas isn't any kind of problem for City. He does exactly what it says on the tin & is well worh his place in the squad. If the rest did, we'd be top of the league.

Great player to have around.

Neville Kneville said:
I think he's been an absolutely brilliant signing, & with Negredo & Fernandinho, gave us the jump start we needed to be Champions last season. All three made an immense difference to the half arsed way we finished the previous season.

He has carried that on this season, but lacked both energetic support, & especially lacked Negredo. But he's still getting more assists than most & putting more balls into the six yard box, which should be scored from, than most, & working his nuts off when we lose the ball.

Navas isn't any kind of problem for City. He does exactly what it says on the tin & is well worh his place in the squad. If the rest did, we'd be top of the league.

This plus 100%

Neville Kneville said:

Finally someone talking sense, I dont understand why everyone thinks he can just "beat his man" everytime.

We've got to remember they are premiership class full backs not some lads on a park!

Bluekiwi said:
sam-caddick said:

I've learnt something today, there are some unbelievable out and out wingers in the above list - really???????????

And I don't think we paid 80,000,000+ for him so it is not surprising he is not in their class.

You get what you pay for and Navas has been better than his fee suggests when you look at how much we've spent on other players and the impact he has made. He's old fashioned, kick it past the full back, run onto it and get a cross in. Unfortunately with only Aguero in the box at times it's not often a strategy that works but credit to him because he has still provided a lot of assists despite us playing him without a target man quite often.

His best impact is either late on in games or when the opposition push up the pitch and he can run onto the ball. He was a great outlet with Aguero when we played at home against Bayern. The threat from his pace also caused Southampton problems and stopped them playing their usual game. A position we should 100% be improving on this summer.

Attack is the best form of defence and as much as we might think we can beat Barca, you see Suarez, Neymar and Messi on a teamsheet you know you can't over commit. Barca's full backs got forward constantly because they saw Nasri, Silva, Aguero and didn't feel the same threat rightly.

Honestly think he's been one of our most consistent players this year. No idea why he gets slagged off. Constantly offers a threat, rarely gives it away cheaply, does his bit defensively and never lets us down. For £15m he was an absolute bargain, it just seems that some people expect him to be Arjen Robben or to somehow pick out crosses every time, regardless of whether we have anyone in the box.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.