Player Topic: Raheem Sterling (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a few dippers bending my ear about how shite Sterling really was when he signed for us , only a benchwarmer , cant score goals etc etc , just goes to show how bitterness and hate can cloud your judgement . He's made a steady start , and dealt with all the jibes from the mourners remarkably well, for a young lad ,its early days ,but if he can sort his shooting and be less predictable, cutting onto to right foot all the time , we have got a potentially world class player on our hands

I love the guy, but Sanchez, and especially Hazard were brilliant at 21.
Maybe you are thinking of Alexis' season in 2010-11 when he was 22 (his last year at Udinese before Barca signed him), but his season of 2009-10 when he was 20-21 (Dec birthday like Raheem), he scored 6 in 36 games in all comps. Sterling has already scored 150% of that goal tally by early December!

Already scored as many Champions League goals for City as David Silva, I'd say he's started alright. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could end the season with 20 goals.

What I'd like to see from him is him putting more of a stamp on the games he doesn't score in. Inconsistency is expected at his age but when he's not on his game he probably needs to be better on the ball and not be afraid to beat his fullback. I'm sure it'll come in time and I'm a huge fan of his.

The difference the other night is he was allowed to roam more like Silva, which makes a big difference to his game, rather than being just stick out on the wing. He saw a lot more of the ball and was able to stamp his authority.

The simple answer is he misses easier chances cos of his age. The fact that he scores goals like the second is the thing to grab onto, not the fact that he can miss easier ones. We really do forget how young he is. At that age youre looking for players who cna produce magic, then smooth out the raw edges. That's exactly what we're doing. I suspect he'll be a considerably more confident player in a couple of years.

Frank Ribery, the player who he could most likely emulate, was playing for Galatasary doing okay at the same age. Then his stats and reputation suddenly vastly improved by the age of 23....not a coincidence.
Ribery played against England for the u21's and was phenomenal. Both he and Gourcuff were seen as the successors to Zidane.
He was a more intelligent and technically cleaner player than Sterling. More creative and composed on the ball. Sterling has different qualities. I don't think he misses chances because of his age, he just doesn't really strike the ball cleanly. I don't see that as an age related problem. I don't think experience will fix that. He just tends to strike the ball fairly close to the keeper and that is because he doesn't connect with the ball as cleanly as he would like.

His second goal on Tuesday was excellent and his build up play for the other two goals was also brilliant. He just needs to produce these kind of moments more often and hopefully he does. Its good that his two best performances have come in big games. I think that's a good sign.

Some of the people on here need to get a grip. He's 21 for God's sake and a winner of the golden boy title. It clear he has potential but, at 21, nobody is the finished article.

Stats wise hes doing well but I guess what people are wanting from him is what he was doing at liverpool. Theres no doubt hes not making as many dribbles as he did before and hes more predictable on the ball. He can be so much more exciting with the ball but it does seem like hes playing under some pressure thats making play more conservative. Hopefully he shrugs this off at some point and really just goes for it when hes 1v1 or even when hes deeper in the pitch.

Stats wise hes doing well but I guess what people are wanting from him is what he was doing at liverpool. Theres no doubt hes not making as many dribbles as he did before and hes more predictable on the ball. He can be so much more exciting with the ball but it does seem like hes playing under some pressure thats making play more conservative. Hopefully he shrugs this off at some point and really just goes for it when hes 1v1 or even when hes deeper in the pitch.

It's because whenever Sterling loses the ball people moan and whenever De Bruyne loses the ball he gets a pat on the back.

Bottom line, Sterling has been better than De Bruyne for over 6 weeks now.

Absolutely brilliant for a just turned 21 year old. Not perfect, but how many players are at that age? Messi maybe? Ronaldo certainly wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.