Player Topic: Wilfried Bony (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just not quite happened for him in front of goal and he's been guilty of fluffing a few good chances but I think it's because he is so desperate to score and that's a good thing. What I like about him is that he is very hard to defend against. He's strong and has an excellent touch, it's so refreshing to see a ball fizzed up to the striker and sticking. He always seems to bring it under control and play in midfield runners. He played a lovely back heel for Silva, that was class and he also smacked one against the post when he was played in quite wide in the box. He's not concerned about where he is, he'll try for goal.

We looked a lot better with him on than Lampard... more energy and it allowed Silva and Aguero to buzz off him. We scored from a corner today. Maybe not directly but he got a good glance on the header that Aguero then swept across for Jimmy. I know QPR were poor but he showed just what we want to see from a centre forward. Aguero had knackered the QPR defence and then they had someone else with pace and power to concern them. He should have scored but the ball got caught under his feet and that's been the story for him in goal terms, but he has still made an important contribution and you can guarantee if he starts against Swansea he'll score!

People who think we are not going to be playing 442 / 4-2-2-2 next season under Pellegrini are deluded. The man has literally played this formation at every club he's been at for 15 years, and it's what won us a double last year. He says it's going to stick around time and tie again, it's not going anywhere.

Bony is the perfect striker to make the 442 work because he drops deep into midfield and basically turns it into a 1 striker system when we don't have the ball. It's like having another physical midfielder playing, he bullies the opposition and makes life miserable for any team trying to hold on to posession - absolutely perfect for Europe next season. His play off the midfielders is beautiful to watch and means we won't have games like we have endured this season where the lone striker gets isolated on their own in the opposition's half and does very little all game.

He was only on for 25 minutes yesterday, nearly scored himself twice, got an assist, set up milner's goal and put Yaya through 1 on 1 with a golden opportunity. I don't know how anyone could say anything negative about the performance.

Glimpses of what he will offer next year. Should settle down and relax a bit after a pre-season with the team. He offers power and a different threat than Sergio. Looked good but the caveat should be that QPR were quite simply the worst team I have ever seen and there was space all over the place.

I really like Bony but -

He's just not fast and agile enough to play as a lone striker in a counter attacking system like we've played lately.

But we should not be going anywhere near a two striker system.

So I'm not really sure where that leaves him. Imo he could be third choice by September.

Bony Watch

Wilfried came on for his 9th Appearance for Manchester City in the 62nd minute against a strong QPR team.

His close control against a strong powerful technically perfect QPR defence was a breath of fresh air against the clumsiness that is generally seen with the likes of Dzeko.
He chased the defence down hard and although not able to keep up to pace with the athletic young defenders in Dunn and Hill he gave his all to get to the ball first but that was not possible against such quick players.

The headed pass to Aguero for the assist to Milner was a stroke of genius. Where he could have used the free header to bury the ball in the back of the net he fooled the defence and keeper and purposely missed it to lay the ball up for Aguero. Clearly a great football brain.
As for the ferocious back heel attempted shot from the edge of the box once again touch of genius fooled everyone in the ground and thankfully Silva was on hand as he was on the same wavelength.

Had a few difficult shots especially the one on one with the keeper. Just as he was about to let loose with his shot a young fan could be heard screaming in the stand and that must have distracted him. Harder to miss than score so taking that in to consideration he did really well in missing it.

Hope is still there for him at City as although he has played 9 times for us and only scored the 1 goal. Willy Caballero has played 7 times for City and he hasn’t scored yet so at least he is doing better than him.

Summary still a lot of work to do and must be worth the £25M that was paid for him. If he can lose a bit of weight, run a bit quicker and hit the target will be a great buy. The new Jo.

NQCitizen said:
I really like Bony but -

He's just not fast and agile enough to play as a lone striker in a counter attacking system like we've played lately.

But we should not be going anywhere near a two striker system.

So I'm not really sure where that leaves him. Imo he could be third choice by September.

But we haven't played a counter attacking style. The use of having Bony is that he holds the ball up for players to feed off. Dzeko can't trap the ball and hold it up, where it's one of Bonys biggest assets. Yesterday was a great example o this, he constantly held it, which in turn allowed Silva and Aguero to create space. I think he's going to be a huge player for us, and yesterday was a great sign of that.

the originalkippaxman said:
Bony Watch

Wilfried came on for his 9th Appearance for Manchester City in the 62nd minute against a strong QPR team.

His close control against a strong powerful technically perfect QPR defence was a breath of fresh air against the clumsiness that is generally seen with the likes of Dzeko.
He chased the defence down hard and although not able to keep up to pace with the athletic young defenders in Dunn and Hill he gave his all to get to the ball first but that was not possible against such quick players.

The headed pass to Aguero for the assist to Milner was a stroke of genius. Where he could have used the free header to bury the ball in the back of the net he fooled the defence and keeper and purposely missed it to lay the ball up for Aguero. Clearly a great football brain.
As for the ferocious back heel attempted shot from the edge of the box once again touch of genius fooled everyone in the ground and thankfully Silva was on hand as he was on the same wavelength.

Had a few difficult shots especially the one on one with the keeper. Just as he was about to let loose with his shot a young fan could be heard screaming in the stand and that must have distracted him. Harder to miss than score so taking that in to consideration he did really well in missing it.

Hope is still there for him at City as although he has played 9 times for us and only scored the 1 goal. Willy Caballero has played 7 times for City and he hasn’t scored yet so at least he is doing better than him.

Summary still a lot of work to do and must be worth the £25M that was paid for him. If he can lose a bit of weight, run a bit quicker and hit the target will be a great buy. The new Jo.

I don't agree with anything you said but this shit is funny... I actually laughed out loud.... i'm saving this, so i can remind you when Bony comes good and shows his worth... then you will have to (and i say this loosely) write something just as good if not better for him...
this forum is funny.... cheers for the laughs

Bony Watch

Is humour the intention here?

Rolee said:
Bony Watch

Is humour the intention here?

I assume so, although it ain't particularly funny. Also misses Bony's best moment which was his snap shot from a difficult handle that completely caught out Green and was unlucky to ram against the post. A couple of inches left and it would have been a goal to remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.