Player topic: Yaya Toure 2014/15 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Player topic: Yaya Toure (2014/15)

Cobwebcat said:
Yaya was brilliant.

Now he is good.

I'd keep him still and push him further up the pitch.

He suffers on here partly because of how good we know he can be. He is still more than capable of running a game and he is still our "go to" man in Midfield.

I agree. But no space for him up top without changing formation away from 4-4-2

Yaya is a big contributing factor to our demise this season.

IMO he is the bad apple in the camp and needs offloading this summer.

BigOscar said:
dobobobo said:
blueinsa said:

House!

For example, FC Barcelona don't appear to be missing Fabregas much.

But oh no if Yaya is sold by City, that's it, it's all over.
Or Alexi Sanchez, or Zlatan, or Eto'o, or Yaya. The list of players Real have let go is even more mouth watering. They don't care if the player still has good years left, they aren't afraid to let someone big go and get someone who they think is hungrier, younger or just a better fit. We've not really been in a financial position to do that of late, but we need to get into that mindset and stop letting the players get so comfortable.

No one is saying (I don't think) that you should never consider selling a player, but the key things have to be the price you can achieve, who you can get in as a replacement (and there is never any guarantees you can sign the players you want) and how that leaves your squad strength overall.

My major point is that for the money you could get for Yaya (or at least the money being bandied around) it is highly unlikely that you will be able to replace him with a younger player of better quality (which has to be the objective) It also means that you are spending money simply to replace rather than add quality to the squad. If money in is needed I would far sooner try and recoup money on Jovetic or a bunch of other peripheral players that wouldn't have a detrimental impact on the team.

I also fundamentally disagree that a player (apart from injury) could be considered over the hill at 31 when the average age a player retires is 35. I also don't believe that a player that demonstrated the quality of performance last season cansimply lose that in a matter of months. I have complete faith that he will be unable to reach those heights with us again with a good close season (and no WC) However if Inter want to offer 60m then the club would be right to think about selling.

Why should we rip and replace a team that is only 2 points behind Arsenal (whom people are singing praises) and 9 behind Chelsea when it is widely recognised Chelsea have had some huge slices of luck recently and many of the stats show hugely in our favour.

Too many knee jerk reactions and too many people underestimating the importance of confidence to a players performance. If we get behind Yaya we may be surprised to discover the Yaya of last season.

Blue Mooner said:
BigOscar said:
dobobobo said:
House!

Or Alexi Sanchez, or Zlatan, or Eto'o, or Yaya. The list of players Real have let go is even more mouth watering. They don't care if the player still has good years left, they aren't afraid to let someone big go and get someone who they think is hungrier, younger or just a better fit. We've not really been in a financial position to do that of late, but we need to get into that mindset and stop letting the players get so comfortable.

No one is saying (I don't think) that you should never consider selling a player, but the key things have to be the price you can achieve, who you can get in as a replacement (and there is never any guarantees you can sign the players you want) and how that leaves your squad strength overall.

My major point is that for the money you could get for Yaya (or at least the money being bandied around) it is highly unlikely that you will be able to replace him with a younger player of better quality (which has to be the objective) It also means that you are spending money simply to replace rather than add quality to the squad. If money in is needed I would far sooner try and recoup money on Jovetic or a bunch of other peripheral players that wouldn't have a detrimental impact on the team.

I also fundamentally disagree that a player (apart from injury) could be considered over the hill at 31 when the average age a player retires is 35. I also don't believe that a player that demonstrated the quality of performance last season cansimply lose that in a matter of months. I have complete faith that he will be unable to reach those heights with us again with a good close season (and no WC) However if Inter want to offer 60m then the club would be right to think about selling.

Why should we rip and replace a team that is only 2 points behind Arsenal (whom people are singing praises) and 9 behind Chelsea when it is widely recognised Chelsea have had some huge slices of luck recently and many of the stats show hugely in our favour.

Too many knee jerk reactions and too many people underestimating the importance of confidence to a players performance. If we get behind Yaya we may be surprised to discover the Yaya of last season.

Eh?

Yaya can go but we need a replacement and a real replacement, not Ross Barkley. Barcelona have sold all those players but always had a replacement they were sure could maintain or improve the quality.

In Yaya's case there is no equal to his mixture of power, attacking ability and passing ability. But you could find someone with his passing ability and also better defensive ability, who could partner well with Fernandinho. Verratti is a great example but he is probably not gettable. He is nowhere near the physical presence of Yaya and no goal threat but his passing is as good and he is better defensively.

So as long as we buy a high quality replacement who can slot into a well balanced midfield 2 (or 3, but we'll probably continue with 2 if MP stays) then selling Yaya would not be a disaster. And you can't keep Yaya around to play a reduced role on his wages, if we keep him it has to be to continue as a major part of our team. With FFP's wage bill limits, top level wages like his have to be reserved for the main players.

LoveCity said:
Yaya can go but we need a replacement and a real replacement, not Ross Barkley..

The club is on this and we're getting Jordan Henderson and Mr Wheelchair.

Blue Mooner said:
BigOscar said:
dobobobo said:
House!

Good spin.

I don't think a decline over the period of a season is a kneejerk reaction. He has shown no appetite to roll his sleeves up and be counted. That's nothing to do with fitness or tiredness, it's attitude.

As for replacing him with someone better? Well, the bar isn't very high I'm afraid and there will be plenty who can do better than what Yaya is currently offering.

The Yaya of 4 years ago no longer exists, so why people are obsessed with not being able to replace him today beats me.

LoveCity said:
Yaya can go but we need a replacement and a real replacement, not Ross Barkley. Barcelona have sold all those players but always had a replacement they were sure could maintain or improve the quality.

In Yaya's case there is no equal to his mixture of power, attacking ability and passing ability. But you could find someone with his passing ability and also better defensive ability, who could partner well with Fernandinho. Verratti is a great example but he is probably not gettable. He is nowhere near the physical presence of Yaya and no goal threat but his passing is as good and he is better defensively.

So as long as we buy a high quality replacement who can slot into a well balanced midfield 2 (or 3, but we'll probably continue with 2 if MP stays) then selling Yaya would not be a disaster. And you can't keep Yaya around to play a reduced role on his wages, if we keep him it has to be to continue as a major part of our team. With FFP's wage bill limits, top level wages like his have to be reserved for the main players.

I think the second is a bit better idea than the first. I mean nobody really doubts the quality of Yaya as a footballer, but we can all see that he doesn't really fit our system due to his declining stamina/can't be arsedness. We could potentially ship him out and bring in a player who isn't quite as good as him as a footballer but better suited to what we're trying to play and see positive gains.

Not sure Barkley is that guy and think we're probably looking closer at a Pogba, but both are people who would seemingly fit our style better than Yaya does. He's a bit of a square peg in a round hole in a 2 man midfield and if we're never going to push him forward or give him another hardworking midfielder so he can play his excellent ball retention game then we could potentially move him on and free up quite a bit of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.