Policing in America

A 1p prize for anyone who can identify why this altercation took pace ( spoiler the guy was black the Police were ignorant of the law as ever and the guy knew his rights' ) This happens with UL plod and officialdom for that matter - educate yourself on who you have to answer to.

I once had 3 months fun with TV licensing who came back and forth and I just asked them was I obliged by law to speak to them and they went away. They finally turned up with two squad cars and 6 ( yes 6 ) cops who were there "to see a breach of the peace didn't take place" or in other words to enforce civil law - not their job - for a private entity. Anyway I let them do their stuff without speaking then produced the TV license that had come in the post the previous week. The licensing goon asked me to confirm my details which I declined as its not a legal requirement and plod asked me was I the person named on the license - I asked why when the license relates to the premises not an individual and that really phased him................most people who's job it is to apply the law know fuck all about the laws they are charged to apply sadly

I have always said this - the Police have no interest and no involvement in TV licensing and bailiff instruction - just remember that when the cops moan about a lack of funding and resources - they waste them on things that are not their legal business.

I'm a law and order guy. It strikes me that some of the complaints against policing in America are just way over the top. Some guy resists arrest, makes a sudden move towards his pockets and is then shot dead by multiple policemen on the scene. A huge inquisition results - the guy was unarmed and was reaching for his cell phone. Crucify the police! - so shout many. I strongly disagree.

The police absolutely need the latitude to draw and discharge their weapons if they reasonably feel that their life is in danger.

At the same time, bad actors in police obviously exist. And the "thin blue line" us-versus-them mentality which leads police to support their own almost no matter what is a huge detriment acting against fair policing. Too, the police unions, in my view, actively perpetuate police immunity from misconduct and criminal actions.

That said, I - as a white male - in an affluent suburb experienced first hand police misconduct a short while ago. Late at night I went out for a coffee at my local Starbucks since I was intending to work very late. On the way back home, I pulled up to a red light and began to break. In my rear view mirror I saw a car speeding very rapidly behind me - way over the speed limit. I could hear the car whoosh behind me. The light ahead of me was red - and I waited until the green left turn signal lit. I then proceeded forward. The next thing you know, the car behind me flashes red and blue police lights and so I pull to the curb. The fuckers then proceed to ticket me for running a red light. I have no recourse but to accept the ticket. I got out of it by hiring a lawyer as the police didn't even show up - but that cost me $250.00 US. Basically some cops wanting to fill their ticket quota thought they'd get away with an illegal ticket issuance - and so they did.

I'm a law and order guy. It strikes me that some of the complaints against policing in America are just way over the top. Some guy resists arrest, makes a sudden move towards his pockets and is then shot dead by multiple policemen on the scene. A huge inquisition results - the guy was unarmed and was reaching for his cell phone. Crucify the police! - so shout many. I strongly disagree.

The police absolutely need the latitude to draw and discharge their weapons if they reasonably feel that their life is in danger.

At the same time, bad actors in police obviously exist. And the "thin blue line" us-versus-them mentality which leads police to support their own almost no matter what is a huge detriment acting against fair policing. Too, the police unions, in my view, actively perpetuate police immunity from misconduct and criminal actions.

That said, I - as a white male - in an affluent suburb experienced first hand police misconduct a short while ago. Late at night I went out for a coffee at my local Starbucks since I was intending to work very late. On the way back home, I pulled up to a red light and began to break. In my rear view mirror I saw a car speeding very rapidly behind me - way over the speed limit. I could hear the car whoosh behind me. The light ahead of me was red - and I waited until the green left turn signal lit. I then proceeded forward. The next thing you know, the car behind me flashes red and blue police lights and so I pull to the curb. The fuckers then proceed to ticket me for running a red light. I have no recourse but to accept the ticket. I got out of it by hiring a lawyer as the police didn't even show up - but that cost me $250.00 US. Basically some cops wanting to fill their ticket quota thought they'd get away with an illegal ticket issuance - and so they did.

And to think some people get a bullet to the back of the head for such similar minor things...

i think "not knowing the law" is a kite distracting from the more serious charge of deliberately ignoring the law. Police suffer the same faults in their character as the rest of us, one being the "can i get away with this" temptation. People saying you should do this or don't do that maybe well-meaning, but no way is a "one-size-fits-all" response applicable. The police version of events varies depending on who they are addessing, the version given to their mates will be/can be wildly different to one in court/the media. Exactly the same from the suspect/victim/law-breaker. Not reporting witnessing a crime being committed is in itself a transgression, i.e. the partygate affair.
The security officers perhaps knew that their career was over if they blew the whistle, so took the risk of "saw nowt guvnor" as the chance of paying the price (ha) was so miniscule.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.