Possible new stadium - some interesting information

bluwes said:
One of the things the club want to be able to cater for are the 850+ gala dinner type functions that they can't offer at the moment.
A few years ago I was involved in helping organising an event that required that sort of facility. Where did we end up going........The bloody Reebok stadium, we had 800 sat down to a four course dinner.

At the moment the nearest facility to the City centre is the old Gorton Monastry that has been converted into a banqueting and conference centre and the most they can manage is 500.
Believe me there is a big market for a place that can hold that type of event and we are missing out on it at the moment as we can on do the marquee on the car park stuff, and its not good enough.

"850+ gala dinner type functions"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLoVF7vcBtY[/youtube]

There`s nowt wrong with gala luncheons!

bluwes said:
One of the things the club want to be able to cater for are the 850+ gala dinner type functions that they can't offer at the moment.
A few years ago I was involved in helping organising an event that required that sort of facility. Where did we end up going........The bloody Reebok stadium, we had 800 sat down to a four course dinner.

At the moment the nearest facility to the City centre is the old Gorton Monastry that has been converted into a banqueting and conference centre and the most they can manage is 500.
Believe me there is a big market for a place that can hold that type of event and we are missing out on it at the moment as we can on do the marquee on the car park stuff, and its not good enough.

the osc had 750 for their even and we were on the concourse havin dinner. saying that it was done up pretty well a bit cold though

Interesting how it veers one day/week from stadium expansion to the next week 'more likely a new stadium'...each with their own 'ITK/contact' somewhere amongst the oiled cogs.
All the better, I like surprised and enticing and creative speculation.

btw - my daughter went to Blue Zone at Platt Lane (she loved it...) - does this score me brownie points and qualify me for the 'Blue Knights PM Speakeasy'?

somapop said:
Interesting how it veers one day/week from stadium expansion to the next week 'more likely a new stadium'...each with their own 'ITK/contact' somewhere amongst the oiled cogs.
All the better, I like surprised and enticing and creative speculation.

btw - my daughter went to Blue Zone at Platt Lane (she loved it...) - does this score me brownie points and qualify me for the 'Blue Knights PM Speakeasy'?

I cannot for one minute see a new stadium,expanded capacity yes but the so called 'in the know' ie PB are either talking bullshit or are being fed bullshit
Time will tell.

not my fault! said:
Hummm.... I can tell you now we will not be building a new stadium in or around the current one. We are expanding the one we have with the brief being it has to hold more than OT (owner wants to make a statement), the builder has been chosen to do the work and the project could start as soon as the end of this season.
What about planning permission? The end of the season is 6 weeks away and they would need to have applied for and received planning permission yet no one has heard anything about this. Forgive me if I'm a bit dubious.

You can have a100k stadium no problem,Sunderland can increase from 35k to 47k approx by shutting the top sections off without it being visibly obvious.
In Canada stadiums have Retractable Seating & seating bolted to runners rather than concrete that can increase or decrease legroom which has a huge effect on the crowd size without once again being visible.
Think outside the box people this can & HAS been done.

Prestwich_Blue said:
not my fault! said:
Hummm.... I can tell you now we will not be building a new stadium in or around the current one. We are expanding the one we have with the brief being it has to hold more than OT (owner wants to make a statement), the builder has been chosen to do the work and the project could start as soon as the end of this season.
What about planning permission? The end of the season is 6 weeks away and they would need to have applied for and received planning permission yet no one has heard anything about this. Forgive me if I'm a bit dubious.

...and once an application is in it will be a 13 week period for such a major scheme and then it could get 'called in' if approved to delay it even further.....you're right to be dubious PB.

m27 said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

...and once an application is in it will be a 13 week period for such a major scheme and then it could get 'called in' if approved to delay it even further.....you're right to be dubious PB.

Just on that point.

The planning application for City Street was submitted much earlier than anticipated by City because of the up and coming general election. If the planning application hadn't been submitted before the General Election, the City Street proposal wouldn't have got planning permission in time(should sail through) for a Summer start and completion by the start of next season. The fact that the designers/architects are still working/tinkering with the proposal shows the urgency of the submission.

As for the stadium expansion starting this Summer? Sorry, not a chance. ADUG/City are nowhere near that stage ATM. Not saying plans and feasibility Studies haven't been drawn up for the proposal and the process isn't on-going, but the actual submission of the planning application is way off.

If my money is on an expansion of COMS or a new stadium, I would go for the latter. COMS is a fanstastic stadium, but it's not suitable for purpose anymore.

jrb said:
m27 said:

Just on that point.

The planning application for City Street was submitted much earlier than anticipated by City because of the up and coming general election. If the planning application hadn't been submitted before the General Election, the City Street proposal wouldn't have got planning permission in time(should sail through) for a Summer start and completion by the start of next season. The fact that the designers/architects are still working/tinkering with the proposal shows the urgency of the submission.

As for the stadium expansion starting this Summer? Sorry, not a chance. ADUG/City are nowhere near that stage ATM. Not saying plans and feasibility Studies haven't been drawn up for the proposal and the process isn't on-going, but the actual submission of the planning application is way off.

If my money is on an expansion of COMS or a new stadium, I would go for the latter. COMS is a fanstastic stadium, but it's not suitbale for purpose anymore.

Re: City Street - very true mate.

The application would have gone to the Planning Committee meeting around election time when they would have deferred it (Committees simply won't make any decisions around this time, believe me) and then it could have dragged and dragged.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.