Post match thread : Borussia Monchengladbach away CL

Dodged a bloody bullet last night, no question. Sometimes comical defending, that would have been greater exploited by more talented opposition. The sooner Vinnie & Zab are back (at their best), the better. Three extremely valuable points.

Well thank fuck we got away with that one.

We need to sort ourselves out or we are heading for a disaster. If we defend like that at the swamp, we are fucked. Hopefully Kompany & Mangala will soon be fit & Serge will gain a bit of confidence from that pen, because he's like Rufus Smalls at the moment.

The trouble with these Champions League teams is they have an unfair advantage as they are employing tactics.
Haha very true Nev. We got away with one thanks to Joe's first half heroics. In reality they were a bang average team that we made look much better than they really were.
In terms of our 'tactics', there was no clear evidence of any particular game plan. It was the class of our individual players that got us over the line. If and when we get through to play one of the big boys, we need to be far smarter in our approach. Similarly when we go to the swamp. We can't afford to be so open.
Overall it's great to get the win, but there is much work to be done.

Watching it now and I feel we didn't play nearly as poorly as the initial reaction suggests. We controlled the vast majority of the match and struggled on a few counter attacks. I thought Otamendi was fine to very good, most of the issues were with the fullbacks getting caught up the pitch.

It's very nice to see Fernando playing well. We still weren't able to control the midfield with he and Fernandinho in a midfield 2 but at least they were competitive.

My biggest concerns right now would be that Sterling's touch is letting him down too often (but he made some fantastic passes ) and that De Bruyne really seems to come alive in the #10 role but understandably doesn't seem to have as much of an understanding of what he should do with Silva on the pitch. Hopefully this can develop.

Watching it now and I feel we didn't play nearly as poorly as the initial reaction suggests. We controlled the vast majority of the match and struggled on a few counter attacks. I thought Otamendi was fine to very good, most of the issues were with the fullbacks getting caught up the pitch.

It's very nice to see Fernando playing well. We still weren't able to control the midfield with he and Fernandinho in a midfield 2 but at least they were competitive.

My biggest concerns right now would be that Sterling's touch is letting him down too often (but he made some fantastic passes ) and that De Bruyne really seems to come alive in the #10 role but understandably doesn't seem to have as much of an understanding of what he should do with Silva on the pitch. Hopefully this can develop.

My sentiments almost exactly -- I have been reading posts here and elsewhere and puzzled as to why we are getting such a bollocking. We dominated the 2nd half after the goal and Kun could have tucked away several chances in the first. Clearly Toure and Silva were not 100% but Pellegrini made the right changes to fix that. Kolarov getting slaughtered -- he's got to be EXHAUSTED -- he's had no break all season with Clichy hurt and has been dynamite in several matches to this point. Fernando helped stabilize the match and even Navas added something (although he's still slow to make decisions).

I think KBD needs to be in the withdrawn striker/midfielder role instead of Silva, but is played on the right because Silva either can't (at the moment) track back, or won't. Navas gave us much more width, as both "wingers" on the field prior to that BOTH wanted to play inside forwards and BM were just too well organized in midfield to allow us the space needed to operate. With the width Navas gave us, allowed both Aguero and KDB to receive balls in to them from outside the box and also get into the box for IF NAVAS EVER GETS THE BALL IN THERE ACROSS THE GOAL!!!

Have to say, Yaya and Silva are both waaaay off the pace, still injured, and/or not fit and NEED to be rested for Newcastle and coddled in the Training Room at the Etihad during the Intl break (and fuck that traveling to see the National Team Doctor BS!). Fernando has done well in both games and should be provided the opportunity to sit in and be as effective as he has now fit. That said, if Joe had not saved three or four dead cert goals, Fernandinho would have continued his long run of best City player on the field by a wide margin. Covered every blade of grass tonight and I was gutted his shot from the edge of the box went over. Would have been a perfect reward to see that curl into the top corner.

Now, getting out of this Group depends on doing better than Sevilla in the last four games, which means the next two are vital.

If you can't be good, be lucky ... as the Rags ought to say.

Tough game against a well conditioned and organized team. A draw would've been a fair and decent result but as it is I'm delerious we nicked it in the end. Tonight we looked disjointed with no shape in midfield and poor passing accuracy. Thank goodness we had a brave ref and a cool Sergio to tuck the penalty away.

not more to say about the game other than a win is a win
the other point from the game is that how can we be so shit at the back without Kompany shocking is not the right word

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.