Post match thread : Borussia Monchengladbach away CL

The solution is staring everybody in the face. It's Yaya Toure. Lazy. You can't win football matches without your centre mids doing their job. He leaves the team completely open. IF Pep comes he goes.

Nail on the head Whit, its painfully obvious that we are our own worst enemies accomodating Yaya in Europe, leave him to rip the league up and go into European games with a more solid base of the 2 Ferns (or 1 of them with Delph when hes fit)

All about the team shape, player fitness & Lady Luck

Could have been another Stuttgart/Spuds

Starting with Silva & Yaya unfit nearly backfired
Aguero lacking confidence & no support strikers fit
Navas on gave us width & pace to pull their defence around creating space whilst Fernando plugged the holes
Bent officials giving us nothing, fortunately nailed on pen at the end gave us the result we deserved

Stuff the barcodes on Saturday with an Aguero goal or two & get Vinny fit & we'll be right as rain

It's funny the split between the fans here. Some who've forgotten about the city of old are often unhappy and angry because they quite rightly expect us to do better in Europe with the players with have. Others, and I'd count myself amongst them still have to pinch themselves when they see that city are challenging for the league and the CL. I can easily forgive us for bad performances because I'm just still grateful considering where we were a decade or so ago. I guess that will change more as I forget how crap we used to be
That's too black and white a statement. There are people right across a spectrum of things when it comes to supporting our club. See I don't feel like I have to pinch myself that we're going for titles and in the CL, I'm well settled about the idea that both are a reality, but it doesn't mean I've forgotten about the City of old it's just that the change from where we once were isn't that amazing. Swansea have come just as far as a club, Bournemouth have a great story too. And look at some of the ex-Prem teams right down the leagues who've plummeted. But then I also think we should be doing a lot better in certain areas but accept that things don't always run smoothly.

Against West Ham I just thought it was one of those days, we played quite well and lost. I thought we were shocking at Spurs (not one of those fans who are afraid to say we were shite, don't know why some fans are so afraid to be negative, I find that bizarre!). And last night was bizarre too. We were suicidal defensively first 50mins but I actually thought we played well with the ball pretty much all game.

Navas & Fernando subs made a big difference but so did GladBach's energy levels dropping off a cliff

Well done City. Fought back well from one down against a determined team. Kept going for the winner and their efforts were rewarded.
Special mention for Joe who played a blinder to keep us in it.
And on a side note, Robbie fuckin Savage soon changed his tune once we equalised.

Well done City. Fought back well from one down against a determined team. Kept going for the winner and their efforts were rewarded.
Special mention for Joe who played a blinder to keep us in it.
And on a side note, Robbie fuckin Savage soon changed his tune once we equalised.

I don't call him backtrack Sav for nowt . :)

The solution is staring everybody in the face. It's Yaya Toure. Lazy. You can't win football matches without your centre mids doing their job. He leaves the team completely open. IF Pep comes he goes.

spot on mate, took the words right out of my mouth, yaya has been brilliant for us over the years but there comes a time where something stares you right in the face that you can't ignore.
we were far too open in that first half, yes we could have had 3 like they could of and that is down to fernandihno being the the sole screen for the back 4 which was down to 2 or 3 at times with kolorov and sagna bombing on.
once yaya went off a semblance of control control returned with a decent structure to the team, yes they scored but that was from a rare foray second half.
it will be sad to see yaya eventually go but time waits for no man and he just hasn't the legs to do that role he was put in last night

This isn't true and is a very lazy opinion. It's because we don't defend tactically as a unit.

We were just as bad if not worse in the 2nd half up until we equalised and that was with Yaya not in the team.

They completely lost their rhythm once we made it 1-1 similar to what happened to us vs Juve.

The biggest difference in Europe is that we don't defend as a tactically organised unit like the elite teams do. Those that think this is simply down to Yaya and that replacing him with someone else will solve our issues are living in cloud cuckoo land.

When Barca lose the ball every player they have instantly becomes a defender. They press from the front with players like Messi, Suarez and Neymar running around like Paul Dickov and forcing the opposition into making mistakes.

Since we don't defend from the front in the same way, we often leave ourselves exposed to a 1v1 defence vs attack situation.

Although I like Pellegrini he clearly isn't the manager who will provide the organisation for the defensive unit we require.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.