Post Something Interesting

Up until Victorian times, men and women were segregated in church. Women sat on the north side of the aisle, men on the south. The system broke when more and more influential men decided they wanted to sit with their wives.

However, it is still the custom at weddings for the groom to take the south side and the bride the north.

Not a lot of people know that! Not even people who direct Jane Austen adaptations.
What if the altar is to the north or south. Who sits to the east and west.

I've never been to Hull. True story.

I have been to the outskirts of Hull with a previous job in a research and development tax consultancy. We were visiting a factory in which the company were making items that were metal detectable if they fell into a conveyor belt in a food processing plant. Pens, card, paper - all designed to set off a metal detector if needed. The secret? He was putting foil in the card. The simplest ideas are the best. To top it off the owner was called Mr Christmas.

Edit: I've just googled the place and it was in Pocklington, which is 22 miles from Hull. I wasn't actually on the outskirts at all and have no idea why I thought I was.

What if the altar is to the north or south. Who sits to the east and west.

Altars (with very rare exceptions) are orientated (nominally) to the east.
The answer would be, men to the right as you go in, women to the left. From the POV of the priest/vicar/minister it is of course the other way around.

"I've never been to Hull. True story.

I lived in Burnage as a boy and 1 day, in about 1965 my uncle came to take me out for the day on the train. He took me to Hull prison to see my cousin, Denis, who was in clink for burglary. To this day, those are the only times I've seen Hull and Denis. True story.
Whilst a day out and a train trip sound great as a boy, I don't know what to make of the rest of that.
It absolutely fits the OP's brief though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.