POTY - Virgil Van Dijk

I don't like how this award is announced before the end of the season. If Liverpool win the league, fair enough, if City win it, surely we have someone more deserving?

In all fairness though, VVD has been unreal. Is it the best season by a CB in Premier League history? He's basically dragged Liverpool to a 90+ point season. Without him, they'd probably finish with high 70/low 80 points. I don't think the same can be said about any individual City player?
No, best season by a CB was VK 11/12. Leadership and that goal against the rags.

Liverpool's defence has actually regressed massively.

Since Christmas they are conceding at roughly the same rate they were before they spent £130m on the world's most expensive CB and GK.

It's one of the main reasons I'm confident they won't repeat this season's level of performance. They had a freakishly good run up to Christmas where their xG against was 16, but they only conceded 8. That run created the narrative that Liverpool's defence was incredible because they were on track to beat Chelsea's goals conceded record, but the stats showed that they were giving up massive chances and getting lucky.

Sure enough, since we beat them and burst their unbeaten bubble, they've conceded pretty much bang on xGa of 12 in 15 games - which is by no means top level.

After 35 games Liverpool have the best defensive record and have only lost once. VVD has had a very good season and deserves all the plaudits. Members of the PFA voted, not us fans or media, so his peers who all play the game at various levels are all wrong? Would Raheem have been a worthy winner, yes of course and I see him getting the journo's votes for the Football Writers.

It's not the fact that VD won it, it's the fact the media were proclaiming him the winner after about 3 games, I've not spoken to anyone who does not think Raz deserves it this season, including a dipper who goes in my local .. Yes VD is a great defender but has he lit up the PL like Raz, no chance .....! Raz has been on another level ..

Members of the PFA voted, not us fans or media, so his peers who all play the game at various levels are all wrong?

The PFA have shown themselves to be terrible voters time and time again. You only need to look at Paul Pogba's inclusion in the TOTY to see that, so appealing to their legitimacy as a voting body seems like an odd move.

Last edited:
The PFA have shown themselves to be terrible voters time and time again. You only need to look at Paul Pogba's inclusion in the TOTY to see that.

Listening to Five Live yesterday evening Jason Burt (yeah I know) came dangerously close to calling the entire footballing fraternity thick. Which would have been a courageous career move, while being entirely correct.

After 35 games Liverpool have the best defensive record and have only lost once. VVD has had a very good season and deserves all the plaudits. Members of the PFA voted, not us fans or media, so his peers who all play the game at various levels are all wrong? Would Raheem have been a worthy winner, yes of course and I see him getting the journo's votes for the Football Writers.
Van dijk is immune to criticism from the media though, which will obviously affect the votes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.