Pre Match Thread: Chelsea vs City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chippy_boy said:
He was going to do that anyway mate. 0-0 would suit Mourinho nicely so his gameplan was always going to be let us have the ball, sit deep and hit us on the break. Torres/Nastasic/Hart style.

I'm not sure it would, I'd snap your hand off for a 0-0 as I'd fancy us to chase down a 5 point gap between now and the end of the season. Now admittedly I am but a humble supporter but if I were in Chelsea's shoes I'd see Saturday as a great opportunity to stretch the lead.

Don't count Chickens....can't trust the Bastards.
Wouldn't bother me if he played....I've a quiet feeling we will win anyway. Hazzard is their key man. Hope someone snaps him early doors.

I think the form book goes out the window with this one. It's a huge game with a lot at stake for us. Chelsea will be happy with a point and preserving their 5pt lead - it's clear they will look to sit back and counter attack. It's standard Mourinho and I don't expect any surprises from him. Expect the Chelsea from Anfield in the first leg. What Liverpool did well is press with intensity, and attack with pace. Chelsea couldn't cope with that particularly well and as long as we take our chances we can win this game. If Fernando is allowed to sit and support our defence we should be able to cope with their counter attacks. I'm confident we can win this. Just got the feeling that Mourinho's due a loss in one of these "tactical" games.

I'll take a draw if offered now

Given our defensive frailties at the moment I fear the worst

dannybcity said:
Chippy_boy said:
He was going to do that anyway mate. 0-0 would suit Mourinho nicely so his gameplan was always going to be let us have the ball, sit deep and hit us on the break. Torres/Nastasic/Hart style.

I'm not sure it would, I'd snap your hand off for a 0-0 as I'd fancy us to chase down a 5 point gap between now and the end of the season. Now admittedly I am but a humble supporter but if I were in Chelsea's shoes I'd see Saturday as a great opportunity to stretch the lead.

Of course every manager (and player and supporter) would like a win. But you have to ask yourself what is Mourinho's house style? Is he the sort of manager who will throw caution to the wind and throw everything at it to get a win? Or is he the sort of manager who thinks first and foremost must not lose?

The question answers itself doesn't it.

supercity88 said:
I think the form book goes out the window with this one. It's a huge game with a lot at stake for us. Chelsea will be happy with a point and preserving their 5pt lead - it's clear they will look to sit back and counter attack. It's standard Mourinho and I don't expect any surprises from him. Expect the Chelsea from Anfield in the first leg. What Liverpool did well is press with intensity, and attack with pace. Chelsea couldn't cope with that particularly well and as long as we take our chances we can win this game. If Fernando is allowed to sit and support our defence we should be able to cope with their counter attacks. I'm confident we can win this. Just got the feeling that Mourinho's due a loss in one of these "tactical" games.

I agree with your analysis mate, but I agree with your 1st sentence most.

I have no idea what the result might be really. A 0-0 draw would seem possible until you remember how bad our defending has been of late. So by all logic, Mourinho will sit back, allow us plenty of possession in non-dangerous areas and defend resolutely. And then hitting us fast on the break, nicking a couple of goals against the run of play.

That's the logical conclusion based on our form, their style and the fact they have a 5 point lead and it's at the bridge.

But I wouldn't be shocked if we won by 4 goals. Or lost by 4. Who knows.

Chippy_boy said:
dannybcity said:
Chippy_boy said:

Of course every manager (and player and supporter) would like a win. But you have to ask yourself what is Mourinho's house style? Is he the sort of manager who will throw caution to the wind and throw everything at it to get a win? Or is he the sort of manager who thinks first and foremost must not lose?

Fair point, I do agree that Mourinho would be happy with a draw a point but I don't think it would be a particular good result for them.

SWP's back said:
Jullarkey said:
I think people are forgetting too easily how diabolical we've been lately. No matter who Chelsea have missing, we seriously need to up our game and start taking our chances in front of goal
Lol

Why Lol?

Its a fair point. We need to take our chances, Chavs are still a formidable opponent, even if depleted

dannybcity said:
Chippy_boy said:
dannybcity said:

Fair point, I do agree that Mourinho would be happy with a draw a point but I don't think it would be a particular good result for them.

Depends on whether you're a cup half full or half empty kind of guy. A 5 point lead is a lot better than a 2 point lead.

On paper, their only really tough game remaining is away against Arsenal. They have the rags and Liverpool at home towards the end, but he'll be backing his side to win those.

We have to go to Stoke, Liverpool, Scum and Spurs.

He'll probably be backing his team to be able to hold onto a 5 point lead looking at their fixtures vs ours. I'd probably agree with him actually.

Chippy_boy said:
dannybcity said:

Depends on whether you're a cup half full or half empty kind of guy. A 5 point lead is a lot better than a 2 point lead.

On paper, their only really tough game remaining is away against Arsenal. They have the rags and Liverpool at home towards the end, but he'll be backing his side to win those.

We have to go to Stoke, Liverpool, Scum and Spurs.

He'll probably be backing his team to be able to hold onto a 5 point lead looking at their fixtures vs ours. I'd probably agree with him actually.

True but I think Chelsea's weakness isn't in the big games, Mourinho's the master at avoiding defeat in them, its the games against teams they're expected to beat. From March onwards last year they lost to Villa, Sunderland (h) and Palace and drew with Norwich (h) whilst beating Liverpool away and Arsenal 6-0.

Call me a dreamer, but we've shown in the past that we can get result when the pressures on at the end of the season. Even if we get beat on Saturday I still fancy our chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.