Premier League investigation unit

It goes a bit deeper than that unfortunately. She's referred to trans women as groomers, predators, nonces, perverts, etc. Laughed about them "chemically castrating" themselves. Has claimed "the trans ideology is based off Nazism". There's also another tweet which has now been deleted where she says Nazis "had the right idea" when it came to exterminating transgender people during World War II.

I'm not sure it's a reason to ban someone from a football stadium, as has been discussed in this thread at length, but as others have said, Newcastle are a private business at the end of the day and it's their choice who they let onto their premises. If other Newcastle supporters have raised safety concerns - which they have - and if the club has pro-LGBT policies in place then (some would argue) they have to live and die by those policies.

Like I've said in this thread - at City, I know I'm surrounded by people whose views don't reflect my own. We've all had season tickets for years and we're all from different backgrounds, it's bound to happen. But I just keep the topic on football and away from politics. Nobody minds, everybody gets along. I imagine it's the same at Newcastle so I'm not sure if Linzi Smith's views are really relevant when it comes to sitting in a football stadium.

But her views on, say, blacks or Jews or disabled people aren't relevant to football either, but if Newcastle had banned her for making relentless racist or anti-Semitic posts on Twitter then I'm not sure this thread would have even been made because it's widely understood and acknowledged that prejudice towards Jews and blacks isn't on. Transphobia is just as serious in reality but society is still on a journey towards accepting that.

For what it's worth, just as an aside, it's completely fine to struggle to keep up with this stuff. Social media has intensified a lot of focus on things which have always existed in the margins but have never really received this level of attention before. The truth is that real life isn't how Twitter makes it seem - everything's a battlefield on there, and because every journalist in the world is on Twitter they'll always behave like they're reporting in a warzone.

I know a lot of trans people. I know a handful of people who are, as they identify themselves, "gender critical". The god's honest truth is that the trans people I know in real life, they just want to feel safe and happy, go to work and get paid like the rest of us, and go to bed at night with a roof over their head. Your average person with gender critical views is the same, just wants to feel safe, happy, financially secure, and warm. Their views or ideologies rarely factor into their every day life.

Sadly social media prevents these people from interacting because they really could see eye to eye, in my opinion, if given a proper chance.

But the ones who are deep in the trenches on social media are only there because there's nothing else going on in their lives. These are the people I worry about the most, for their own sake. That's when gender critical-ism (?) becomes something more extreme, more radical, more dangerous. It's where Brianna Ghey's murder originated, with two nutters on social media apps wondering if Brianna would "scream like a boy or a girl" when they stabbed her. The rest of society is more forgiving, more even-handed.

And it's the same everywhere. Doesn't matter if it's anti-vaccine protests or FFP conspiracies or political arguments or what have you, Twitter has made the world a worse place and has completely destroyed our ability to converse and communicate without losing it. Forums have too, just to a lesser extent. I nearly lost it before with @Stoned Rose Rose over next to nothing. Imagine that happening a thousand times per day and you can see why things are so polarised.

But would I have bollocked @Stoned Rose like I did if we were in a pub? Would gender critical people harass trans people if they bumped into each other in a supermarket? Would trans people get into these arguments if they were at work, or would they just keep their heads down for a quiet life? Social media has given us a lot but it's taken away so much more. It can feel like you can't keep up but in all honesty, as far as the real world is concerned, as long as you're polite and open-minded with everyone you actually meet and encounter then you'll never get left behind.
Thanks for your post. It's clearly an issue that is close to you and that makes it hard when some folk respond with throw away lines.

The whole social media thing is difficult. You are right - its creates space for hate-speech. Yet here we are on social media interacting in a way we wouldn't do if we bumped into one another at a game. I've learnt much about trans issues from social media - it's allowed me to go and seek out answers that otherwise I could only get by pestering someone who might not want to explain their gender -identity. I have also had some good long conversations with friends who are trans and learnt much from them - even if I still don't fully understand what has brought them to make the decision they have made. We live in a time when this is a live issue - that has been liberating for some people and added another layer of confusion for others. I'm prepared to live with the confusion if that creates a good place for others to be honest about themselves.

Fair enough, thanks for the informative and balanced reply. And not blasting me like you did Stoned. :)

She sounds a bit weird, I was only going off what I read in the media the first time this came out. Media, eh? I should have known better. On the other hand, we probably all sound weird in heated arguments on Twitter. And, as you say, everyone is different on social media.

Personally, I still think everyone is a **** (except you, of course, you sound very normal) and I call everyone cunts on here, but I wouldn't do it in real life. Well, not so much anyway.

It's interesting a Saudi-owned club taking this stand, though.
in bruges.jpg

It goes a bit deeper than that unfortunately. She's referred to trans women as groomers, predators, nonces, perverts, etc. Laughed about them "chemically castrating" themselves. Has claimed "the trans ideology is based off Nazism". There's also another tweet which has now been deleted where she says Nazis "had the right idea" when it came to exterminating transgender people during World War II.

But @hammocity thinks this is all perfectly fine and normal and thinking it’s bad to call for people to be mass murdered is just “PC”.

So she's bad person with views the majority thankfully dont ascribe to. Does the mean the PL can ban her for expressing her beliefs and thoughts made away from the ground?
Dangerous, sanctimonious times.
It was Newcastle that banned her, which is somewhat ironic given where their owners are from and their beliefs on LGBTQIA issues.

(Apologies if I missed any letters off the acronym. It wasn’t my intention to marginalise any section of society. Please don’t ban me City.)

Some of the things she said were absolutely abhorrent and I'm not sure she'd be receiving the same support on here had she made the same comments in relation to disabled people, Jews, blacks, etc. She didn't offer thorough arguments about her gender critical views, she claimed "the Nazis were right" and that "trans ideology is Nazi", amongst a whole host of other ahistorical, nasty bile. At the moment it's just more acceptable to make vile statements about trans people, just like it was okay once upon a time to make prejudiced, derogatory marks about other marginalised groups. I also think Ms. Smith has been begging for while to get in on the GB News/Talk TV circuit and this is her window of opportunity. But it is unusual that Newcastle have been paying such close attention and waiting to get the police involved when it doesn't seem like her views would be relevant in a football stadium. I sit around people at City who I know don't have the most up-to-date views on certain matters, but we never discuss politics and society, we just chat about City and comment on the game. Then we go home. And, as others have said, what do Newcastle's owners think about trans people, or gays, or blacks, or journalists for that matter. An unusual case.
You’ll have to ask a row of grinning beards.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.