Premier League (Midweek) Games 16/17 March '22

I guess the point is Liverpool are a top side, they should be challenging with the squad they have. Why is anyone acting surprised that they are firstly? It's not some massive mistake by City that Liverpool are in with a shot. It's not normal for teams to win as much as these two teams do in the PL. They still gave away a lead at the start of the season themselves after City's tougher start, as did Chelsea. So I'm not having it that they don't have it in them to drop points themselves, they've shown it, I've seen it.

Secondly, people are doing themselves no favours building Liverpool up beyond what they need to do. You might think things are perfect over there for them right now but they'll have their own flappers pulling their hair out, saying they weren't good enough tonight. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

It's true that not everything is perfect at City, we should have bought a striker two seasons ago but it didn't happen for various reasons(availability, FFP, cost etc). The other way of looking at it is, what we are doing without any strikers or any 20+ goals a season forwards is really quite incredible. We won the league once already that way and are still in with a very good chance of winning it back to back. If we sharpen up a little and start being more ruthless(and the gap being closed might be enough to do that) then I think we will do it, which would be even more incredible. It's still in our hands. Think of what an achievement it will be if we win the league in these circumstances against this "incredible Liverpool team" with all those scoring options, more than what a "failure" it would be if we don't.
Good post. I have become quite philosophical recently. As Pep Guardiola has said " It is what it is" I think City take the long view and that's why City have been successful for more than a decade . Manuel Pellegriini spoke of a wholistic approach, that includes a style of play throughout the different City sides. City were the first team to be Champions of all the age groups just last season. I think that is another consideration, the development of the academy players in anticipation of the future. If the right player doesn't become available then City don't panic but keep faith in their ideology. It seemed it was the end of the world when City got relegated to the second division, it led to where we are today. I admire City's ability to see beyond the immediate future.

I can't help fearing the worst, apologies I know any negativity pisses some off. I wish I could be more positive and admire people here who are. I've been going since 1968 and up until about 1978 I always thought we would win. A first big shock was throwing the title away in 1972 I think, the year Banks was world class for Stoke at Maine Road. The league cup final against Wolves in 1974 was another. We had Bell, Lee, Summerbee, Marsh and Law. Wolves had a rookie kid in goal called Gary Pierce. The rest is history. We absolutely pulverised them, he had the game of his life and we lost 2-1. 1976/7 we lost the title by a point to Liverpool in spite of being the best side. A Dave Watson own goal; n an icy pitch late on in a 1-1 draw ended up being crucial.

After that came the dark decades of relegations and promotions and countless cock ups. This period has left many Blues fearing the worst no matter how good we have been lately and how many trophies we've won. I fear if I'm overly optimistic the Gods will conspire against us and something will go wrong. I can't relax until we're 3-0 up and even then the bloody Leicester game gave me flashbacks as they pulled us back from 4-0 to 4-3 at one stage.

So there we have it. I'm a glass half empty fearing the worst Blue. I wish I wasn't and I wish I shared the faith and optimism of others here. I just can't, my mould is set.
I'm your vintage and was at some of the games you mentioned.

I'm usually optimistic but we had 12 point advantage and they've caught us up. nearly.
This shows they have the momentum, we dont, and unless our lads start putting the ball actually in the net, we're stuffed.
I can live with Palace draw but that Spurs game showed up our weaknesses big time. 3 goals on the break. I'm fearing the bus wreckers saw that and figure they know how to beat us when we meet. What Spurs did with Son and Kane is what they are very good (maybe the best) at.

I agree with all the comments about us not having a striker, pretty ridiculous when we had one of the worlds best.

I'm your vintage and was at some of the games you mentioned.

I'm usually optimistic but we had 12 point advantage and they've caught us up. nearly.
This shows they have the momentum, we dont, and unless our lads start putting the ball actually in the net, we're stuffed.
I can live with Palace draw but that Spurs game showed up our weaknesses big time. 3 goals on the break. I'm fearing the bus wreckers saw that and figure they know how to beat us when we meet. What Spurs did with Son and Kane is what they are very good (maybe the best) at.

I agree with all the comments about us not having a striker, pretty ridiculous when we had one of the worlds best.

In a nutshell. In spite of the cockups and ridiculous dropped points that we shouldn't have we are miraculously still one point ahead. It's now squeaky bum time and there is no room for anymore error

Not that it matters but wasn't the lead more like 8 points, when you factored in the games in hand that they were expected to win?

I guess the point is Liverpool are a top side, they should be challenging with the squad they have. Why is anyone acting surprised that they are firstly? It's not some massive mistake by City that Liverpool are in with a shot. It's not normal for teams to win as much as these two teams do in the PL. They still gave away a lead at the start of the season themselves after City's tougher start, as did Chelsea. So I'm not having it that they don't have it in them to drop points themselves, they've shown it, I've seen it.

Secondly, people are doing themselves no favours building Liverpool up beyond what they need to do. You might think things are perfect over there for them right now but they'll have their own flappers pulling their hair out, saying they weren't good enough tonight. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

It's true that not everything is perfect at City, we should have bought a striker two seasons ago but it didn't happen for various reasons(availability, FFP, cost etc). The other way of looking at it is, what we are doing without any strikers or any 20+ goals a season forwards is really quite incredible. We won the league once already that way and are still in with a very good chance of winning it back to back. If we sharpen up a little and start being more ruthless(and the gap being closed might be enough to do that) then I think we will do it, which would be even more incredible. It's still in our hands. Think of what an achievement it will be if we win the league in these circumstances against this "incredible Liverpool team" with all those scoring options, more than what a "failure" it would be if we don't.

Fucking brilliant post it's even given an old pessamist like me hope. One slip will be all it takes to turn the tide, just one. Every team no matter how shit and down has one performance one shock in them in a season. Watford win at Anfield, we win our game and that could be it.

What a crock of shit!

I can't help fearing the worst, apologies I know any negativity pisses some off. I wish I could be more positive and admire people here who are. I've been going since 1968 and up until about 1978 I always thought we would win. A first big shock was throwing the title away in 1972 I think, the year Banks was world class for Stoke at Maine Road. The league cup final against Wolves in 1974 was another. We had Bell, Lee, Summerbee, Marsh and Law. Wolves had a rookie kid in goal called Gary Pierce. The rest is history. We absolutely pulverised them, he had the game of his life and we lost 2-1. 1976/7 we lost the title by a point to Liverpool in spite of being the best side. A Dave Watson own goal; n an icy pitch late on in a 1-1 draw ended up being crucial.

After that came the dark decades of relegations and promotions and countless cock ups. This period has left many Blues fearing the worst no matter how good we have been lately and how many trophies we've won. I fear if I'm overly optimistic the Gods will conspire against us and something will go wrong. I can't relax until we're 3-0 up and even then the bloody Leicester game gave me flashbacks as they pulled us back from 4-0 to 4-3 at one stage.

So there we have it. I'm a glass half empty fearing the worst Blue. I wish I wasn't and I wish I shared the faith and optimism of others here. I just can't, my mould is set.
I went to the Wolves final -what a miserable day that was.

We knew that at the start of the season though. Salah, Mané, Jota, Diaz hard to argue that there isn't more goals there up top, we share the goals around more and it's been like that for a while.

I keep hearing people trying to claim they are in top form. They simply aren't, they aren't creating as many and they are giving up chances but getting away with it. If that was us, the flappers on here would be seeing all the things they are refusing to see about Liverpool about City.
Time and again I read that Liverpool didn't play well but got the luck and the decisions to swing the game. It happened in the cups and the league. Without that their season could have been over before it began. Similarly with a little luck City could have been clear. This is why I don't understand the eulogising over Liverpool. They are a good side but not as good as the media would have us believe.

I went to the Wolves final -what a miserable day that was.

It was typical City at its best. I remember our much lauded famous five forward line that day. Bell, Lee, Summerbee, Law and Marsh. Wolves should have been hammered. They had lost their first choice keeper Phil Parkes with a broken leg but as is our luck Gary Pierce came in and was man of the match. Utterly depressing

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.