The Ladder
Magnification
Big Generator
Keystudio
Are second tier for me

Close
Tales
Relayer
Still great stuff... But listen to not much.

Soft spot for some of Union

But
Fly, Open, Quest, Heaven are all clunkers
The Quest is beyond redemption apart from The Ice Bridge opening track.
Heaven and Earth only marginally better because The Fish is there.
I don’t mind the other two so much but rarely play them.
It’s also been age since I played 90125.

Yes, I’ve never taken to Close To The Edge (and I’ve tried), yet I love The Yes Album to bits. I’ve never quite been able to understand how that can be!
Odd isn't it. Often quoted as the best prog album of all time yet I just don't gel with it. Believe me I have tried. Some sublime moments of course but not one I reach for. The Yes Album for me is as near perfect as can be and is raw and energetic.

Close to the Edge?
Close to the Edge for me is the greatest Prog album. Yes at their absolute peak. Even just that wonderful mixed time signature intro is sublime. (Anyone would think Fripp came up with that). And the beautiful And You And I.
Bruffords drumming, Howe's Jazz tinged lines and Squire's driving staccato Bass.
Yes's ultimate line-up. Rick Wakeman was born to be in Yes.

Close to the Edge for me is the greatest Prog album. Yes at their absolute peak. Even just that wonderful mixed time signature intro is sublime. (Anyone would think Fripp came up with that). And the beautiful And You And I.
Bruffords drumming, Howe's Jazz tinged lines and Squire's driving staccato Bass.
Yes's ultimate line-up. Rick Wakeman was born to be in Yes.
Its my favourite Yes album too although depending on what mood I am in I occasionally find bits of And You and I a bit of a dirge. I actually like Yessongs very much albeit the production is a bit muddy. I do enjoy live Yes over studio Yes.

Close to the Edge is not my favourite by far.
And You and I is in my Top Ten Yes tracks and Siberian Khatru rocks.
I can’t really put my finger on it but maybe it’s because the title track is a bit too fragmented.
Having said that I still love it just think others are better.
Fragile, GFTO, Relayer are my Top Three.

I'm sure I read in chapter 1 of his memoirs
"There I was living in Clayton-le-Moors"
That says to me he moved down Whalley Rd to Clayton at some point
Don't suppose you know where he lived in Clayton?
Bit late getting back to your question, sorry no idea where he lived in Clayton, Norfolk st where he was born is literally a 2 minute walk from Accrington Stanleys old ground Peel Park. the new ground on Whalley rd is only a few minutes from Clayton. Back to the music, as a lyricist jon i think was a bit marmite, very spiritual, I defy anyone to listen to wonderous stories and not be moved.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.