QPR in for Johnson

Elano was poor towards the end of last season,dyou not remember sven goin on about him losing his confidence and playin him anywhere to try and get him to regain it.

Dobsy87 said:
sboroMCFC said:
He is one of our kids why don't we just get behind him and support him through the bad times as well as the good?

They've been trying for over a year and he hasn't responded. But he could find it within himself to negotiate for a £35k per week contract the summer/Autumn before last unless I'm much mistaken. Shows he really cares for the club? If they're willing to sell him they must have said: "Look Michael, unless you change your behaviour you'll be out, we've put up with this long enough" and he's still not knuckled down.

What are City supposed to do? (not being arsy just genuinely interested, is there any other way to deal with this?)

Here's what many others in a similar position to him have been encouraged to do. This advice is aimed at the employers of those with an alcohol problem by the way:

Your man has probably been trying to conceal a number of scrapes, perhaps pretty messy ones. They may be disgusting. You may be at a loss to understand how such a seemingly above-board chap could be so involved. But these scrapes can generally be charged, no matter how bad, to the abnormal action of alcohol on his mind. When drinking, or getting over a bout, an alcoholic, sometimes the model of honesty when normal, will do incredible things. Afterward, his revulsion will be terrible. Nearly always, these antics indicate nothing more than temporary conditions.

This is not to say that all alcoholics are honest and upright when not drinking. Of course that isn’t so, and such people may often impose on you. Seeing your attempt to understand and help, some men will try to take advantage of your kindness. If you are sure your man does not want to stop, he may as well be discharged, the sooner the better. You are not doing him a favor by keeping him on. Firing such an individual may prove a blessing to him. It may be just the jolt he needs. I know, in my own particular case, that nothing my company could have done would have stopped me for, so long as I was able to hold my position, I could not possible realize how serious my situation was. Had they fired me first, and had they then taken steps to see that I was presented with the solution contained in this book, I might have returned to them six months later, a well man.

But there are many men who want to stop, and with them you can go far. Your understanding treatment of their cases will pay dividends.

Perhaps you have such a man in mind. He wants to quit drinking and you want to help him, even if it be only a matter of good business. You now know more about alcoholism. You can see that he is mentally and physically sick. You are willing to overlook his past performances. Suppose an approach is made something like this:

State that you know about his drinking, and that it must stop. You might say you appreciate his abilities, would like to keep him, but cannot if he continues to drink. A firm attitude at this point has helped many of us.

Next he can be assured that you do not intend to lecture, moralize, or condemn; that if this was done formerly, it was because of misunderstanding. If possible express a lack of hard feeling toward him. At this point, it might be well to explain alcoholism, the illness. Say that you believe he is a gravely-ill person, with this qualification—being perhaps fatally ill, does he want to get well? You ask, because many alcoholics, being warped and drugged, do not want to quit. But does he? Will he take every necessary step, submit to anything to get well, to stop drinking forever?

If he says yes, does he really mean it, or down inside does he think he is fooling you, and that after rest and treatment he will be able to get away with a few drinks now and then? We believe a man should be thoroughly probed on these points. Be satisfied he is not deceiving himself or you.

Whether you mention this book is a matter for your discretion. If he temporizes and still thinks he can ever drink again, even beer, he might as well be discharged after the next bender which, if an alcoholic, he is almost certain to have. He should understand that emphatically. Either you are dealing with a man who can and will get well or you are not. If not, why waste time with him? This may seem severe, but it is usually the best course.

After satisfying yourself that your man wants to recover and that he will go to any extreme to do so, you may suggest a definite course of action. For most alcoholics who are drinking, or who are just getting over a spree, a certain amount of physical treatment is desirable, even imperative. The matter of physical treatment should, of course, be referred to your own doctor. Whatever the method, its object is to thoroughly clear mind and body of the effects of alcohol. In competent hands, this seldom takes long nor is it very expensive. Your man will fare better if placed in such physical condition that he can think straight and no longer craves liquor. If you propose such a procedure to him, it may be necessary to advance the cost of the treatment, but we believe it should be made plain that any expense will later be deducted from his pay. It is better for him to feel fully responsible.

If your man accepts your offer, it should be pointed out that physical treatment is but a small part of the picture. Though you are providing him with the best possible medical attention, he should understand that he must undergo a change of heart. To get over drinking will require a transformation of thought and attitude. We all had to place recovery above everything, for without recovery we would have lost both home and business.

Barton a bad player ? kept us up with James, Dunne and Distin 2 years on the bounce , some of u have very short memories

vonksbignose said:
Dobsy87 said:
sboroMCFC said:
He is one of our kids why don't we just get behind him and support him through the bad times as well as the good?

They've been trying for over a year and he hasn't responded. But he could find it within himself to negotiate for a £35k per week contract the summer/Autumn before last unless I'm much mistaken. Shows he really cares for the club? If they're willing to sell him they must have said: "Look Michael, unless you change your behaviour you'll be out, we've put up with this long enough" and he's still not knuckled down.

What are City supposed to do? (not being arsy just genuinely interested, is there any other way to deal with this?)

Here's what many others in a similar position to him have been encouraged to do. This advice is aimed at the employers of those with an alcohol problem by the way:

Your man has probably been trying to conceal a number of scrapes, perhaps pretty messy ones. They may be disgusting. You may be at a loss to understand how such a seemingly above-board chap could be so involved. But these scrapes can generally be charged, no matter how bad, to the abnormal action of alcohol on his mind. When drinking, or getting over a bout, an alcoholic, sometimes the model of honesty when normal, will do incredible things. Afterward, his revulsion will be terrible. Nearly always, these antics indicate nothing more than temporary conditions.

This is not to say that all alcoholics are honest and upright when not drinking. Of course that isn’t so, and such people may often impose on you. Seeing your attempt to understand and help, some men will try to take advantage of your kindness. If you are sure your man does not want to stop, he may as well be discharged, the sooner the better. You are not doing him a favor by keeping him on. Firing such an individual may prove a blessing to him. It may be just the jolt he needs. I know, in my own particular case, that nothing my company could have done would have stopped me for, so long as I was able to hold my position, I could not possible realize how serious my situation was. Had they fired me first, and had they then taken steps to see that I was presented with the solution contained in this book, I might have returned to them six months later, a well man.

But there are many men who want to stop, and with them you can go far. Your understanding treatment of their cases will pay dividends.

Perhaps you have such a man in mind. He wants to quit drinking and you want to help him, even if it be only a matter of good business. You now know more about alcoholism. You can see that he is mentally and physically sick. You are willing to overlook his past performances. Suppose an approach is made something like this:

State that you know about his drinking, and that it must stop. You might say you appreciate his abilities, would like to keep him, but cannot if he continues to drink. A firm attitude at this point has helped many of us.

Next he can be assured that you do not intend to lecture, moralize, or condemn; that if this was done formerly, it was because of misunderstanding. If possible express a lack of hard feeling toward him. At this point, it might be well to explain alcoholism, the illness. Say that you believe he is a gravely-ill person, with this qualification—being perhaps fatally ill, does he want to get well? You ask, because many alcoholics, being warped and drugged, do not want to quit. But does he? Will he take every necessary step, submit to anything to get well, to stop drinking forever?

If he says yes, does he really mean it, or down inside does he think he is fooling you, and that after rest and treatment he will be able to get away with a few drinks now and then? We believe a man should be thoroughly probed on these points. Be satisfied he is not deceiving himself or you.

Whether you mention this book is a matter for your discretion. If he temporizes and still thinks he can ever drink again, even beer, he might as well be discharged after the next bender which, if an alcoholic, he is almost certain to have. He should understand that emphatically. Either you are dealing with a man who can and will get well or you are not. If not, why waste time with him? This may seem severe, but it is usually the best course.

After satisfying yourself that your man wants to recover and that he will go to any extreme to do so, you may suggest a definite course of action. For most alcoholics who are drinking, or who are just getting over a spree, a certain amount of physical treatment is desirable, even imperative. The matter of physical treatment should, of course, be referred to your own doctor. Whatever the method, its object is to thoroughly clear mind and body of the effects of alcohol. In competent hands, this seldom takes long nor is it very expensive. Your man will fare better if placed in such physical condition that he can think straight and no longer craves liquor. If you propose such a procedure to him, it may be necessary to advance the cost of the treatment, but we believe it should be made plain that any expense will later be deducted from his pay. It is better for him to feel fully responsible.

If your man accepts your offer, it should be pointed out that physical treatment is but a small part of the picture. Though you are providing him with the best possible medical attention, he should understand that he must undergo a change of heart. To get over drinking will require a transformation of thought and attitude. We all had to place recovery above everything, for without recovery we would have lost both home and business.

Not gonna bother starting to read this at 2:39am.Sorry Vonk

vonksbignose said:
Dobsy87 said:
sboroMCFC said:

I'd like to be the first to ask; what the bloody Hell are you on about?

Dobsy asked what are City to do about a situation where they have a player on a hefty contract, who doesn't seem to be fit to do his job, because it is suspected that he has a problem with alcohol.

I am answering that question. This is what City need to do! For the clubs sake & for the players.

vonksbignose said:

Dobsy asked what are City to do about a situation where they have a player on a hefty contract, who doesn't seem to be fit to do his job, because it is suspected that he has a problem with alcohol.

I am answering that question. This is what City need to do! For the clubs sake & for the players.

It's terrible advice and is very poorly written. What book is that taken from anyway? Was it written by 'your man' Jim McDonald?

alabaster said:
vonksbignose said:

It's terrible advice and is very poorly written. What book is that taken from anyway? Was it written by 'your man' Jim McDonald?

Thank you for your stunning literary critique!

Its taken from The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, which has helped millions of hopeless, helpless alcoholics escape from the depths of their illness in the 69 years since it was first published.

But seeing as you have now helpfully informed us that its terrible advice, fuck it, we'll all come to you from now on & you can tell us how to do it!

vonksbignose said:
alabaster said:
vonksbignose said:

Thank you for your stunning literary critique!

Its taken from The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, which has helped millions of hopeless, helpless alcoholics escape from the depths of their illness in the 69 years since it was first published.

But seeing as you have now helpfully informed us that its terrible advice, fuck it, we'll all come to you from now on & you can tell us how to do it!

Now why doesn't it surprise me that it was written by AA? For your information, AA are no better than a religious cult. I think it is much more helpful to address problems with drugs and alcohol by dealing with the actual addiction rather than surrender yourself to a non-existent higher power. I find it extremely disturbing that there is such an emphasis on the lack of control an individual [or 'your man' as they so weirdly put it] has over addiction, and that in order to overcome alcoholism, you not only have to acknowledge that there is a God, but that you cannot overcome your addiction without the help of God.

I think people would be much more successful in beating alcoholism if they were in control of their own lives.

Besides, do you have any proof whatsoever that Michael Johnson is an alcoholic other than people seeing him in clubs a few times?

I'm a psychologist by the way, but thanks for patronising me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.