Queen Elizabeth II

When Diana was killed someone came up to me the following day — a French lady — and offered me her condolences. I said to her, as courteously as I know how, “Look, I know what you're saying comes from a good place, but she wasn't a friend of mine, and she wasn't a member of my family. It's always tragic when a young woman and mother gets killed in a car crash. I'm sincerely sorry for her children. But I am not, personally, mourning.”
Frankly, that's still pretty much my position today. Let those for whom the Queen meant a lot — and I respect them — mourn in their way. She's been around as long as I have, because she was crowned in 1953, the year I was born. It's going to be strange without her, and stranger still with Charles at the helm. But also, interesting.
Not that I disagree with you particularly but wouldn't it have just been easier and more polite to say thanks and walk away from the French woman?

When Diana was killed someone came up to me the following day — a French lady — and offered me her condolences. I said to her, as courteously as I know how, “Look, I know what you're saying comes from a good place, but she wasn't a friend of mine, and she wasn't a member of my family. It's always tragic when a young woman and mother gets killed in a car crash. I'm sincerely sorry for her children. But I am not, personally, mourning.”
Frankly, that's still pretty much my position today. Let those for whom the Queen meant a lot — and I respect them — mourn in their way. She's been around as long as I have, because she was crowned in 1953, the year I was born. It's going to be strange without her, and stranger still with Charles at the helm. But also, interesting.
Could have just said

Thank you

It makes no difference a president, prime minister or monarchy it’s all the same. There is corruption they can change the rules whenever it suits.
Charles will make a great king and William will follow him we are safe at least for the next 100 years.
There private/family life is just that private Charles will do a great job the Queen saw to it by example.
Believe it or not, Charles is seen as having paved the way for the royal visit over here.
He first visited as far back as 1995 and has expressed his desire to visit all 32 counties.
He likes it here I believe.

‘Glue that holds us together’ was probably a bit OTT, but she was definitely a stabilising and unifying force for many - and she has gone at a time when we are increasingly fracturing as a society.

I think we are fucked as a nation for a number of reasons and I believe and her passing will accelerate that - and prove to be a pivotal staging post in our decline.

Hope I’m wrong.

I keep holding to a naive hope that somehow/somewhere there will be an inflection point that sets us on the right path again; whilst watershed moments like these can sometimes signify an opportunity for renewal, sadly I don't see anyone or anything on the near horizon capable of leading that very difficult change.

I hope we see more of Charles now he's king. He needs to have a similar presence to his mother. He needs to unify our nation as we face great financial turmoil.

It doesn’t matter how deeply you’re mourning, you can only watch one TV Channel at a time.
But it's not just about who's watching, channels will want to have their own say and coverage.

As you say you can only watch one TV channel at a time but you can also choose to not watch it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.