Queen Elizabeth II

Wanting to carry on about your normal day to day life isn't making it all about you. It's about not wanting to make it all about someone else.

Just because you don't want to watch Homes Under the Hammer, it doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to. Do you not see the irony in what you're saying?

There's no need to burden other people with your mourning because nobody is stopping you and like minded people from feeling that way, certainly not Dion Dublin.
Just turn to BBC2 if you want to watch Homes under the hammer! :-)

Yeah there's nothing I'd prefer more than to be watching Homes Under The Hammer right now.....

For gods sake many people are feeling a loss, look at the hundreds of thousands at Buckingham Palace. You might not be feeling a loss but it's not all about you. The media and the institutions we depend upon are all underpinned by the Queen and now she has died.

Some people have given their lives defending the country, swearing an allegiance to the Queen and what that stands for. Just a tiny bit of respect for a short period is all that's required and then we can go back to watching Jeremy Kyle or whatever shite is seemingly more important.
Hundreds of thousands?

I'm not even sure there's what most would call a crowd.

I'm guessing that most people share in sadness, but aren't really "mourning".

And the oath of allegiance is taken by armed forces, MPs and peers, judges, magistrates, clergy, and immigrants becoming citizens. And it's to the monarch and to her/his heirs and successors.

It makes no difference a president, prime minister or monarchy it’s all the same. There is corruption they can change the rules whenever it suits.
Charles will make a great king and William will follow him we are safe at least for the next 100 years.
There private/family life is just that private Charles will do a great job the Queen saw to it by example.
100 years is optimistic, isn’t it, unless you think William will live to 140?

I keep holding to a naive hope that somehow/somewhere there will be an inflection point that sets us on the right path again; whilst watershed moments like these can sometimes signify an opportunity for renewal, sadly I don't see anyone or anything on the near horizon capable of leading that very difficult change.
The problem is that, after a respectful period, the politicans will start trying to exploit the vacuum. We have now got another 12 months leading up to the Coronation. They will use this period, like Covid, like Brexit, to deflect attention away from our totally broken political system. It will be another opportunity for people to wallow in nostalgia and past glories which, to be fair, so many of us love to do.
This should be an opportunity to totally change the political structure of the country, slim down the monarchy, get rid of all the unelected hangers-on in government, introduce a fair voting system, and start to modernise the country so we can compete properly with the rest of the world. Perhaps Charles and William themselves can be a force for change. As you say we can't go on like this, just living in the past.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.