Queen Elizabeth II

Postponed matches. The FA says "As a mark of respect, following the passing of Her Majesty the Queen, English football has united to postpone all football fixtures between 9-11 September. This follows Government guidance, which encourages sporting organisations to show respect in an appropriate way."

Some might have thought an appropriate way was to keep calm and carry on, with respectful silence at games.

I can't see UEFA taking the same line.

We need the reminders about football resuming after the deaths of George V & VI.

What vaccuum?

The Queen is dead, long live the King.

We don't have to wait for party members to vote.
The vacuum caused because the media will focus on the run up to the Coronation for the next 12 months, wallowing in history, allowing the politicians (who have just been on holiday for six weeks), to avoid showing any leadership. There is an empty vessel at the top of politics at present and it's not just Liz Truss.

Last edited:
Just had a woman on the radio who must've read your post last night cos she said exactly the same thing (glue)
She then went on to tell us that Queenie was everybodys ''Mother''.
Some random member of the public interviewed by the BBC said the same thing this morning.

I was left wondering whether it could be an example of what is known in psychoanalysis as transference, which in a narrow sense refers to the unconscious tendency to take emotions and behaviour felt toward one person (e.g. a parent) and project them onto someone else (e.g. royalty).

Am not a republican and also not judgemental of people who feel this way, as it is benign anyway in this instance. I also briefly felt like this myself a bit when Bowie died.

If transference is a real thing (which is by no means certain because historically psychanalysis does not typically give rise to any testable hypotheses), it worries me more when - feeling insecure - people start to fetishize and attempt to find security in becoming devoted acolytes of dangerous political populists and demagogues, characters like Hitler, Trump, Putin and maybe Farage, with their talent for giving the masses a sense of vicarious heroic victory, and who therefore also superficially and deceptively appear to offer their supporters the possibility of relief from whatever ails them.

The compulsory mourning aspect of all this certainly bothers me though.

This thread has followed the usual path, those affected by a situation are very quick to post their feelings, the naysayers always wait to try to score cheap shots. I have a list. ...don't tell him Pike!!

Postponed matches. The FA says "As a mark of respect, following the passing of Her Majesty the Queen, English football has united to postpone all football fixtures between 9-11 September. This follows Government guidance, which encourages sporting organisations to show respect in an appropriate way."

Some might have thought an appropriate way was to keep calm and carry on, with respectful silence at games.

I can't see UEFA taking the same line.

We need the reminders about football resuming after the deaths of George V & VI.
And some reminders that Rugby and Cricket are carrying on as normal. The FA, as always, has made a bad call, proving itself to be out of touch with football fans. I don't know many people who think shutting down for nine days is the right move. Nothing else in the UK is shutting down for nine days and everyone is still at work. In fact the train workers and the mail workers have also cancelled their strikes. This decison is just some virtue signalling from the men in blazers who are too spineless to make the correct decision.

Pub Quiz Question for the future:

In which year was there 2 Prime Ministers, a Queen and a King all within 1 week?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.