Queen Elizabeth II

We study those monarchs because they ruled countries and decided history.

That's a method of categorising history that's been outgrown a long time ago. No one studies George VI, they study WW2 and Churchill.

When people study history from 1952-2022 they won't be studying QE2's reign, they'll study Thatcher, Blair, The Falklands the rise of islamic extremism and the gulf wars.
Paddington and James Bond aside, of course.

Are many people descending on London and Edinburgh?

I haven't seen an estimate into 5 figures for Edinburgh yet. The crowd is 3 or 4 deep at the very end, most of it is 1 deep. In a city with a metropolitan area population of 1 million. I would imagine 10x as many people would turn out for a Hearts trophy parade.

Over 1 million people turned up to the stop the war march in 2003. That was an issue people cared about. <10,000 people outside Buckingham Palace in a nation of 70 million? No.

I'm not sure loyal subjects mourining the queen outside Buckingham Palace was even the biggest crowd event in London this weekend, the Chris Kaba march had thousands of people in it too.
How many of those going are going as historical tourists?

If I was in either of those Cities I would probably go, to pay respect but mainly to witness without doubt a huge historical moment in time.

I live in Ramsbottom, which is a relatively traditional area. Tory MP. Went heavy on the jubilee etc. I was expecting there, if anywhere, would feel sombre and show signs of real grieving. Literally nothing has changed. Everyone acting normal. No bunting, no pics of the queen. Shops open. Staff, old and young, wittering away as friendly as ever, acting normal. The country absolutely isn't in mourning. Some are, Im sure, but for the vast majority life is identical. Not spoke to a single person yet who's brought it up in conversation since Thursday. In truth, the press is acting how they feel they're expected to act and projecting that onto the wider public, when in truth they're expressing the feelings of the vast minority.
What? It’s all anyone has talked about since Thursday morning. Have you left the house?

If I was in either of those Cities I would probably go, to pay respect but mainly to witness without doubt a huge historical moment in time.

Some people would like to think it's not historic but you're right it is, and witnessing history would be great for tall tales in 50 years when people say "I was there".

Agreed, and they've given everyone the day off as well to ensure attendances are respectable.

I'm not saying there will be no one there, but "crowds descending on London" like nothing else was the metric Churchlawtonblue wanted to use to gauge how much people cared about the monarchy.

I was simply replying to point out that the crowds thus far have not been that significant compared to other events.

Some people would like to think it's not historic but you're right it is, and witnessing history would be great for tall tales in 50 years when people say "I was there".
We’ll be on the next King by then. Maybe Charles death will trump QE2’s after that as it would have recency bias.

I find it quite staggering how little respect some people have for the Queen and what she did over the course of her reign. In my humble opinion I am quite happy to go with the mourning period for arguably our grestest ever Monarch.

The eyes of the world are on the UK and the pomp and ceramony that go with this sad time.

Society has been decimated over the last 50 years with a lack of respect for traditions, values and doing the right thing. We wonder where things have gone wrong and then watch on as people belittle the history that is being played out before us.

Agreed, and they've given everyone the day off as well to ensure attendances are respectable.

I'm not saying there will be no one there, but "crowds descending on London" like nothing else was the metric Churchlawtonblue wanted to use to gauge how much people cared about the monarchy.
Aviva will have to try and get another train or two per hour to ensure a bigger turnout.

Take a deep breath pal, you're not going to get your republic you're just going to have a nasty turn.
You're right mate, I won't see a republic in my lifetime. But it'll happen, eventually. And maybe it'll be my great-great grandchild voting for, in modern democratic process, a president; and not being forced to bow down to a morally bankrupt, freeloading, unelected leader.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.