Queen Elizabeth II

We’ll be on the next King by then. Maybe Charles death will trump QE2’s after that as it would have recency bias.

Wills coronation will do that IMO mate, the country will love a young shining new light and the ones who don't want to join in can have their own pity party online again ;)

I find it quite staggering how little respect some people have for the Queen and what she did over the course of her reign. In my humble opinion I am quite happy to go with the mourning period for arguably our grestest ever Monarch.

The eyes of the world are on the UK and the pomp and ceramony that go with this sad time.

Society has been decimated over the last 50 years with a lack of respect for traditions, values and doing the right thing. We wonder where things have gone wrong and then watch on as people belittle the history that is being played out before us.
Who has disrespected the Queen?

I think the crux of the debate centres around How much do you need to “mourn” to show enough respect?

No one, barring a few loons, has shown disrespect.

You're right mate, I won't see a republic in my lifetime. But it'll happen, eventually. And maybe it'll be my great-great grandchild voting for, in modern democratic process, a president; and not being forced to bow down to a morally bankrupt, freeloading, unelected leader.

I don't know how old you are but I wouldn't rule out a republic in your lifetime.

The biggest factor in that is not the Royal Family, it will be the misdeeds of prime ministers exposing the need for a head of state who can intervene in political matters.

Abolishing the Royal Family will never be about removing them from their palaces or titles, it'll be about removing the "ceremonial" roles of being head of state (like controlling the PM and filling the house of lords) that many pro-monarchists claim are just symbolic anyway.

I don't think Charlie will last that long, but you never know.
On that matter I think he, Charlie and the Family have missed a huge opportunity, he should have let William become King, it would have been hugely popular.

Although not sure it was constitutionally possible.

I don't know how old you are but I wouldn't rule out a republic in your lifetime.

The biggest factor in that is not the Royal Family, it will be the misdeeds of prime ministers exposing the need for a head of state who can intervene in political matters.

Abolishing the Royal Family will never be about removing them from their palaces or titles, it'll be about removing the "ceremonial" roles of being head of state (like controlling the PM and filling the house of lords) that many pro-monarchists claim are just symbolic anyway.
We’ve already voted to get rid of the “unelected” European bureaucrats, it’ll only take one misstep from Charles and there’ll be debates on his suitability as an unelected Head of State.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.