Queen Elizabeth II

I don't know how old you are but I wouldn't rule out a republic in your lifetime.

The biggest factor in that is not the Royal Family, it will be the misdeeds of prime ministers exposing the need for a head of state who can intervene in political matters.

Abolishing the Royal Family will never be about removing them from their palaces or titles, it'll be about removing the "ceremonial" roles of being head of state (like controlling the PM and filling the house of lords) that many pro-monarchists claim are just symbolic anyway.

That's probably true.
I think one of the biggest issues at the moment is creating a method of electing a head of state that doesn't appear to be essentially rigged to start with.
As an example, when Australia rejected independence most recently, the planned replacement was so horribly one-sided, that it was voted down.

His parents lived to 99 and 96 and his grandmother 101.

I would not be surprised if he got into his 90s.
The Queen died 5 years younger than her mum.

Charles doesn’t look as healthy as his parents did at the same age.

He‘s got a ton of travelling and duties to undertake in the next few years.

You may be right and he lives until he’s 90, however it wouldn’t be a total shock to me if he died relatively soon.

On that matter I think he, Charlie and the Family have missed a huge opportunity, he should have let William become King, it would have been hugely popular.

Although not sure it was constitutionally possible.
It is, but was never going to happen. Tradition has to be upheld.

His philosophy is more 21st Century than Charles though, so I get what @mexico1970 was trying to say, I think.

Yes, I think the two of them have a plan of how to change things over the next 15-20 years to make it fit this century, although probably based on what they want the endpoint to be, rather than exactly how to get there. My guess would be some less obvious changes under Charles to lay the groundwork.

That's probably true.
I think one of the biggest issues at the moment is creating a method of electing a head of state that doesn't appear to be essentially rigged to start with.
As an example, when Australia rejected independence most recently, the planned replacement was so horribly one-sided, that it was voted down.

Or we could just have a code in place which, once breached, leads to dismissal. Boris being able to repeatedly lie in parliament, whilst anyone who called him just that had to rescind or leave the house...nonsense. Meanwhile he was exposed as a liar and yet we still had to wait for him to not only finally fall on his sword, but do so at a time of his choosing. If the code was a legal duty then we could just kick the **** out. Although it would probably get dragged through the courts first. I'm sure the Queen would have kicked that fucker out had she the power.

The Queen died 5 years younger than her mum.

Charles doesn’t look as healthy as his parents did at the same age.

He‘s got a ton of travelling and duties to undertake in the next few years.

You may be right and he lives until he’s 90, however it wouldn’t be a total shock to me if he died relatively soon.
Fuck sake, so we’ll have e to go through all this again!! Watch it coincide with us away at spurs…

I don't know how old you are but I wouldn't rule out a republic in your lifetime.

The biggest factor in that is not the Royal Family, it will be the misdeeds of prime ministers exposing the need for a head of state who can intervene in political matters.

Abolishing the Royal Family will never be about removing them from their palaces or titles, it'll be about removing the "ceremonial" roles of being head of state (like controlling the PM and filling the house of lords) that many pro-monarchists claim are just symbolic anyway.
I'm 35 now, so it won't be my lifetime. But it will happen, eventually. Because, as sure as night follows day, progress happens.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.