Queen Elizabeth II

Ultimately there's very little to be sad about a 97 year old dying.

She has lived a life most people could only dream of, seen her children grow old, seen her grandchildren have children. We all have to go someday and 99.9% of people go earlier and in a worse way.

Yes, I'm sure her close family will mourn her greatly, just like everyone does at the death of a mother or grandmother, but I'm going to find it very hard to empathise with the hordes of wailing strangers lining the Mall for weeks.
Pretty much my sentiments. Diana dying was a bit of a watershed moment for me in terms of the media. Being told constantly for 2 weeks that the entire country was in mourning when i knew all of one person who gave a shit. Best wishes to her friends and family if she is on the way out, but no more than if any one else dies.

She has lived a life most people could only dream of, seen her children grow old, seen her grandchildren have children. We all have to go someday and 99.9% of people go earlier and in a worse way.

Yes, I'm sure her close family will mourn her greatly, just like everyone does at the death of a mother or grandmother, but I'm going to find it very hard to empathise with the hordes of wailing strangers lining the Mall for weeks.
Double edged sword, being that famous and having so much significance to your every action isn’t a life I’d want to live.

If I fart in front of people I don’t know I just get a few stern looks.

Feel sorry for her. Trapped into a life that is fat with wealth but surely a psychological fuck-job.

Whole thing is idiotic, obviously, but it's still sad when anyone dies.

Same. Reading this thread make my head spin. I will never understand royalists as none of it makes any sense at all.
I wonder if it’s less to do with being a ‘Royalist’ and more to do with being concerned over the health of an extraordinary woman who has put public duty in front of herself and her family for decades upon decades. We won’t see anything like her again despite the Royal family continuing.

She's had a good innings and a good life indeed but to trivialise 70 odd years of service and to call out people for mourning or celebrating that is wrongly reducing her down just a bit! I can understand why people will mourn her, she's been a fundamental part of British history and a constant for the vast majority of most people's lifetimes.

The one thing the royals are to people is a constant and when you consider the state of politics at the moment it's a bloody good job we have them. I can relate far more with the royals than I can with snake oil salesmen like Boris Johnson or Keir Starmer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.