Queen Elizabeth II

Don't think I've ever felt less British than these last 10 days - not since brexit (although back then I felt more disgusted, whereas this time it's feelings of frustration and fascination).

Seeing the majority of the country genuinely mourn a person they've never met and who didn't know them, with some happy to queue for 14 hours just to pay their respects.
The insistence that she led a hard life when in fact she's had it easier than 99.9% of anyone who ever lived.
The attacking of anyone who doesn't show the same deference or 'respect'.
All of this with the need to pat ourselves on the back for 'doing pomp and ceremony better than anyone in the world' , at a time of financial crisis, as if it's something envied by every other country.

I genuinely can't understand the mentality behind it all. She was no better or worse than any of us, so why are so many happy to elevate her and her family above them? Is the idea of being a peasant so drilled into our national identity? It blows my tiny little mind
I hope you have thick skin. You’re probably going to need it.

The Commonwealth would be a major one, I'd list.

Both communities in Northern Ireland seem to think that a couple of small actions had a significant effect - literally crossing the street to meet both sides of the religious divide according to reporting (Newry or Omagh?)
Now this was the crowning moment of her reign. Perhaps because it was the most political.

But let's not rewrite history to give her credit that belongs to real politicians (Blair, Mowlam in particular, but Major, and others across the Irish Sea - even Paisley Snr.)

The money that yesterday will have brought in and will bring in, plus the recruitment to the services that will be boosted as a result- are hard to quantify. Robin Hood economics, whilst sounding lovely - is very short sighted.
Recruitment? We're sacking people.

Don't think I've ever felt less British than these last 10 days - not since brexit (although back then I felt more disgusted, whereas this time it's feelings of frustration and fascination).

Seeing the majority of the country genuinely mourn a person they've never met and who didn't know them, with some happy to queue for 14 hours just to pay their respects.
The insistence that she led a hard life when in fact she's had it easier than 99.9% of anyone who ever lived.
The attacking of anyone who doesn't show the same deference or 'respect'.
All of this with the need to pat ourselves on the back for 'doing pomp and ceremony better than anyone in the world' , at a time of financial crisis, as if it's something envied by every other country.

I genuinely can't understand the mentality behind it all. She was no better or worse than any of us, so why are so many happy to elevate her and her family above them? Is the idea of being a peasant so drilled into our national identity? It blows my tiny little mind
You’re last sentence sums you up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.