Queen Elizabeth II

Don't think I've ever felt less British than these last 10 days - not since brexit (although back then I felt more disgusted, whereas this time it's feelings of frustration and fascination).

Seeing the majority of the country genuinely mourn a person they've never met and who didn't know them, with some happy to queue for 14 hours just to pay their respects.
The insistence that she led a hard life when in fact she's had it easier than 99.9% of anyone who ever lived.
The attacking of anyone who doesn't show the same deference or 'respect'.
All of this with the need to pat ourselves on the back for 'doing pomp and ceremony better than anyone in the world' , at a time of financial crisis, as if it's something envied by every other country.

I genuinely can't understand the mentality behind it all. She was no better or worse than any of us, so why are so many happy to elevate her and her family above them? Is the idea of being a peasant so drilled into our national identity? It blows my tiny little mind
Britishness is whatever you want it to be. Just don't let people tell you you aren't British because you don't go along with the idea that the whole country was grieving. For many, it's just an accident of birth, and recognising the good and bad and idiosyncrasies of every "nation". Just be a British "citizen of nowhere".

Depends what you think they’re there for. Without the monarchy, somewhere like Buckingham Palace would probably get more visitors as they open more of it up.

You wouldn’t get days like yesterday though.
That would be a great start.

You’ll get to 50,000 posts on this thread alone, carry on bud.
Your logic is a bit random fella.

So far today, you’ve suggested I’m anti-Royalist, with no evidence.

You‘ve tried to belittle Stickwell by insinuating he’s thick whilst making a simple grammatical mistake and now randomly trying to make a dig about a number under my name.

Let’s see what’s next!

Are you saying you’d rather we still be an empirical force?

I don’t think many other monarchs would have led us through that change and ended up with an entity that countries are still applying to join.
I'm sure you'd want me to point out the misuse of empirical instead of imperial.

But yeah, how did Rwanda get admitted despite the human rights concerns?

Britishness is whatever you want it to be. Just don't let people tell you you aren't British because you don't go along with the idea that the whole country was grieving. For many, it's just an accident of birth, and recognising the good and bad and idiosyncrasies of every "nation". Just be a British "citizen of nowhere".
Lots of great Brits don't or didn't believe in the monarchy.
David Bowie turned down a knighthood.
Keith Richards
George Harrison turned down an upgrade to his MBE
Paul Weller turned down a CBE
Quite a few actors turned awards down as well. John Cleese, Alan Rickman.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.