Queen Elizabeth II

Don't think I've ever felt less British than these last 10 days - not since brexit (although back then I felt more disgusted, whereas this time it's feelings of frustration and fascination).

Seeing the majority of the country genuinely mourn a person they've never met and who didn't know them, with some happy to queue for 14 hours just to pay their respects.
The insistence that she led a hard life when in fact she's had it easier than 99.9% of anyone who ever lived.
The attacking of anyone who doesn't show the same deference or 'respect'.
All of this with the need to pat ourselves on the back for 'doing pomp and ceremony better than anyone in the world' , at a time of financial crisis, as if it's something envied by every other country.

I genuinely can't understand the mentality behind it all. She was no better or worse than any of us, so why are so many happy to elevate her and her family above them? Is the idea of being a peasant so drilled into our national identity? It blows my tiny little mind
You've had the decency to wait until she's buried before giving us your opinion. If you'd have posted this in any of the last ten days you probably would have got alot of abuse.

You've had the decency to wait until she's buried before giving us your opinion. If you'd have posted this in any of the last ten days you probably would have got alot of abuse.
Exactly....there is a time and a place.

The Monarchy can fuck off now.

If Charles lasts seven years does that mean his funeral can cost a tenth of yesterday's?

Now this was the crowning moment of her reign. Perhaps because it was the most political.

But let's not rewrite history to give her credit that belongs to real politicians (Blair, Mowlam in particular, but Major, and others across the Irish Sea - even Paisley Snr.)

Mowlam definitely as you say, the others slightly behind but I wasn't meaning to ignore their work on this.

However as a symbolic act, it seems to be huge.

In this thread yeah, as the mods wanted it free of arguments and shite

Now this was the crowning moment of her reign. Perhaps because it was the most political.

But let's not rewrite history to give her credit that belongs to real politicians (Blair, Mowlam in particular, but Major, and others across the Irish Sea - even Paisley Snr.)
I’ll credit Paisley for taking the step in the end but I would regard him as every bit a pariah that McGuinness was to a deeply unionist community.
Paisley was as much the reason why the likes of the GFA didn’t happen sooner as anyone else in NI.
However it was essential to get him onboard or progress was never going to happen.
You now have The DUP showing that they would be quite willing to tear it all up. Something they never really signed up to.

The Queen openly showing support and the subtle reconciliatory language and actions that she displayed on her state visit is not to be underestimated for the effect over here. Don’t get me wrong, she didn’t suddenly turn us into Royalists, but the example of statesmanship, has had an effect that can be seen probably most remarkably in the conduct of Sinn Fein during this long fortnight.
Her actions came across as totally genuine, and not contrived. There was real sacrifice in her own grief and forgiveness. There is no doubting she earned respect. Didn’t command that she be respected. She earned it on this side of the water and that has been a difficulty down through the last century in particular.

Last edited:
But yeah, how did Rwanda get admitted despite the human rights concerns?

They got in because as a political entity the commonwealth is a bit of a crumbling ruin that has run its course, but some people aren't ready to accept it, so they'll welcome anyone in to keep it going.

19 commonwealth leaders didn't even bother showing up to the last Common Wealth leaders meeting 3 months ago, including Jacinda Ardern, Anthony Albanese (Australia), Yakob (Malayasia) Shehbaz Sharif (Pakistan), Cyril Ramphosa (South Africa) and Modi (India).

That's 6 of the 10 biggest economies in the commonwealth not showing up to the meeting because it's simply not important.

Meanwhile former French colonies are joining up to get better access to India, which is by far the most important member in 2022, it's got the biggest economy, it's an emerging superpower investing in Africa, it's the reason people want to join.

Unfortunately our relationship with India is degrading quite rapidly because of some very serious insults, and that's only likley to get worse when they see the Koh-i-noor diamond (which has been the number 1 trending topic on twitter in India every single day since the queen died) on Camilla's head in a few months time.

Hopefully the commonwealth will persevere as a sporting entity as a way of celebrating shared history.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.