Quitting smoking

Has a constant white dribble on the side of his lip and it’s fucked his teeth up !
I certainly stand corrected then.
I haven't ever used them myself.
You would think he would have tried to cut them down or stop them ages ago really, addiction is an odd beast.

as an ex-smoker who gave up when I had kids and didn't want to set a bad example I have to say in the middle of a global pandemic where a disease can ravage your respiratory system you can't see that now is a great time to give up then you are lost........

I smoked for decades. I don't know if they do it now, but the NHS had a stop smoking service 10 years or so ago.

The nurse was quite open about my chances and said 'if you want to give up, you will, if you don't, you won't'.

I found it very useful, they even tolerated the odd relapse and reassured me I hadn't failed, but I kicked the habit, and those words of advice ring true.

You have to want to give up to succeed, and there is no way around it.

I had a bit of a relapse over the summer and quit again on Monday. All seemed to be going ok until 3am this morning when I hadn't slept a wink and couldn't shut my brain off. I was also fucking starving and had to come into the kitchen for a banana. Unreal what this stuff can do to you, I have stopped many times but not experienced it to this degree.

I gave up 11 years ago and I swear blind that my strategy works.

Plan for the day that your going to give up and then make an appointment with your GP. Tell them you want to give up and need help, take the prescription for chewing gum... The strongest one. The day before your gonna stop, smoke normally but be aware that you have to smoke your last fag by 8pm.

This is the difficult bit, no more fags after 8, grin and bare it till the next morning. When you wake up, hold out for as long as you can (with me it was about 2 hours) then throw a chewing gum down your gob. The release and rush you get is amazing, almost drug like. Keep up the gum for few days and you'll be over it. Your nicotine addiction will be gone.

Try it. Honestly it works.

I used the strongest pieces but sadly got addicted to them and after 6 months my jaw started clicking. So I had to go cold turkey off the nico gum but I was cured and nair a tab passed my lips in 25 years. In the beggining I would wake up and immediately put three or four gums in my mouth and chew and the hit was immense and I could actually float down the staircase for breakfast. I did put on weight as I had nothing to fiddle with so I would have a brew and a biscuit or a brew and a cake instead. Like I say I am no longer a slave to nicotine but am still addicted to kiplings but there is no real help available to come off these. If they could make cakes with no calories the manufacturers would clean up. I tried that diet chocolate once and ate the full bar and nearly shat myself to death.

I used the strongest pieces but sadly got addicted to them and after 6 months my jaw started clicking. So I had to go cold turkey off the nico gum but I was cured and nair a tab passed my lips in 25 years. In the beggining I would wake up and immediately put three or four gums in my mouth and chew and the hit was immense and I could actually float down the staircase for breakfast. I did put on weight as I had nothing to fiddle with so I would have a brew and a biscuit or a brew and a cake instead. Like I say I am no longer a slave to nicotine but am still addicted to kiplings but there is no real help available to come off these. If they could make cakes with no calories the manufacturers would clean up. I tried that diet chocolate once and ate the full bar and nearly shat myself to death.
To the shat myself thread

I smoked for decades. I don't know if they do it now, but the NHS had a stop smoking service 10 years or so ago.

The nurse was quite open about my chances and said 'if you want to give up, you will, if you don't, you won't'.

I found it very useful, they even tolerated the odd relapse and reassured me I hadn't failed, but I kicked the habit, and those words of advice ring true.

You have to want to give up to succeed, and there is no way around it.

I was reading the Surgeon General's report on Smoking Cessation earlier this year. Apparently successful quit rates are less than 25% after 1 year - agree quitting is the best but I do wonder if alternative nicotine/tobacco products (E-Cigs or IQOS) might represent a cessation aid

One of these days I'll stop smoking. Either that or smoking will stop me. Not too arsed right now, I've had about 6 today and I'm smoking right now. I enjoy a cigarette. Well that's my excuse, anyway.

I've beaten alcohol addiction but I can't beat nicotine.

I caved. Bollocks.

Managed an ordinary sleep after the awful night on Wednesday but I stayed home whilst the mrs went to see an elderly relative today. Was offered the chance to go but skipped it, I think this was a mistake - all day in the house with no car, the minute she got home I was straight down the petrol station in the car for a packet of tobacco. Feel like a twat.

I caved. Bollocks.

Managed an ordinary sleep after the awful night on Wednesday but I stayed home whilst the mrs went to see an elderly relative today. Was offered the chance to go but skipped it, I think this was a mistake - all day in the house with no car, the minute she got home I was straight down the petrol station in the car for a packet of tobacco. Feel like a twat.

Tomorrow's a new day. At midnight you've had none for the day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.