R.I.P Harry Dowd

Harry was in goals for my 1st city games , he lost his place to Mulhearn for the '68 side , but played at wembley the year after , great keeper and a character , if i remember , didnt he get injured , and it was before substitutes and he ended up playing a blinder on the right wing , and he scored the equalising goal against Bury , after a young 17 year old lad had scored for Bury , his name.....................Colin Bell.
R-I-P Harry Dowd , we will never see his like again

a sad day indeed. Harry was in goal for city when i actually started to go to the ground. my mam wouldn't take me and sooner so i missed out on seeing Bert. i was still overjoyed at seeing city and Harry play live. i remember him being a fixture in the side untill an injury let in Ken Mulhern. one old boy who stood near us in the scoreboard end never quite realised the switch, all he did once Ken collected the ball from a cross or corner was shout "Harry's got it" much to his relief. i was only a boy and didn't dare put him right. i dont think anyone ever did.

R.I.P. Harry Dowd. you sir were a legend.

Dowd,Book,Pardoe,Doyle,Heslop,Oakes,Summerbee,Bell Lee Young & Coleman.That team virtually picked itself every week.
It just drips off the tongue even from 47 years ago.The last all English players who won the equivalent of the PL Title.
RIP Harry.

My wife grew up as best friends with Harry's daughter who lived on the same road in Brooklands. Found out this morning. Harry spent his later years in a care home and was unfortunately quite poorly for a while. RIP harry.

R.I.P. Harry Dowd.

He was the sort of player who was the bedrock of a decent team...... unassuming and kind of oblivious to
all the hooha of modern day football.

He used to drink in Spoons in Alty...... always had time for a bit of a chat with city fans.

oakiecokie said:
Dowd,Book,Pardoe,Doyle,Heslop,Oakes,Summerbee,Bell Lee Young & Coleman.That team virtually picked itself every week.
It just drips off the tongue even from 47 years ago.The last all English players who won the equivalent of the PL Title.
RIP Harry.

and what a team that was.

i feel an affinity to that team that i'll never feel again. no matter what we win.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.