R.I.P Maine Road :( (Moments)

CITYtilIdie24 said:
supercity36 said:
one more memory ive remembered.. playing ipswich and the rain was the worst ive EVER seen and game got abandoned... remember my socks being soaked cant remember when the game was or what i was for but it was amazing!

it was a cup match and it got abandoned just as we scored cant remember who scored it tho, the rain was horrendous that nite i remember the ipswich bench not wantin to abondon it but once we scored they did lol!! typical ay haha!!!
I went tht match i think ;p

Kippax - 80p, Spot the floodlights with my brother, First time I seen the pitch circa 1977 v Grimsby LC, The atmosphere top right in the Kippax stood in the same place for 3 years, That Bovril sign, Mick Channons windmill when he scored, Big Mal, Reading the Pink on the bus home, Bobby Mc in goal when big Joe got injured first 5 mins, Junior Blues, Golden Goal in the programme, Tommy Caton's debut and hairdo RIP, Helens bell etc etc I could be here all night, I absolutely worshipped that place as a kid.

Bovril said:
Kippax - 80p, Spot the floodlights with my brother, First time I seen the pitch circa 1977 v Grimsby LC, The atmosphere top right in the Kippax stood in the same place for 3 years, That Bovril sign, Mick Channons windmill when he scored, Big Mal, Reading the Pink on the bus home, Bobby Mc in goal when big Joe got injured first 5 mins, Junior Blues, Golden Goal in the programme, Tommy Caton's debut and hairdo RIP, Helens bell etc etc I could be here all night, I absolutely worshipped that place as a kid.
Top post mate ;)

Dad took me to my first game in 1989, i was 6 and we beat Leicester 4-2! We got promoted that year! My first derby game we won 5-1! Also at the end of that season England got to the semi finals of the world cup! I thought footy was fucking class!

From then on i was a massive blue, me Mam and all her side of the family are HUGE City fans, grew up in Moss Side! Dads a big blue too (although he doesnt mind United cos his Dad used to take him to Old Trafford one week and Maine Road the next as a kid), but on derby day he is truely blue!

Remember that 5-1 when the kick off was delayed or the game stopped for a while whilst they booted a load of Rags out but then the game was AMAZING! I was buzzing (dont forget i was only 7) for about 6 months after that! although we didnt win another derby til the last one at Maine Road which i didnt go to cos i shared a season ticket with my cousin and she went to that game, woman, haha!

Miss Maine Road still now, CoMS is shit compared to it! Im already bored of the dull, grey, boring CoMS - wish we could build another new ground where Maine Road was, pay a few families to move and build the best stadium in the country to hold about 65,000! But that wont happen hey, never mind!

danburge82 said:
Dad took me to my first game in 1989, i was 6 and we beat Leicester 4-2! We got promoted that year! My first derby game we won 5-1! Also at the end of that season England got to the semi finals of the world cup! I thought footy was fucking class!

From then on i was a massive blue, me Mam and all her side of the family are HUGE City fans, grew up in Moss Side! Dads a big blue too (although he doesnt mind United cos his Dad used to take him to Old Trafford one week and Maine Road the next as a kid), but on derby day he is truely blue!

Remember that 5-1 when the kick off was delayed or the game stopped for a while whilst they booted a load of Rags out but then the game was AMAZING! I was buzzing (dont forget i was only 7) for about 6 months after that! although we didnt win another derby til the last one at Maine Road which i didnt go to cos i shared a season ticket with my cousin and she went to that game, woman, haha!

Miss Maine Road still now, CoMS is shit compared to it! Im already bored of the dull, grey, boring CoMS - wish we could build another new ground where Maine Road was, pay a few families to move and build the best stadium in the country to hold about 65,000! But that wont happen hey, never mind!

I think COMS is amazing but Maine road wow it was out of this world, The atmosphere itself was brill

Fantastic thread and aren't I a lucky Bluemooner, the Batsman on 99 and making my hundreth post. Thanks for Everything thats been said so far and everything to be posted following this. Here goes;

When the fans tried to get at the press after some bitter, vitriolic comments about our sad demise.
The Gillingham fans a couple of years after Wembley singing " Two nil and we are all still here" and we all appluded them.
Beating West Ham 4 -3 and Bobby Moore scored for them with a Header from the edge of the Box
Stuck outside the ground until almost half time for the League Cup Semi against Liverpool
A standing ovation for Ian Brightwell when he returned as an opposition player for the first time
Being directly behind that volley from Nicholas Jensen.
The best two Football Chants of all time " who let the Goat out" and " Feed the Goat"

I could go on and on and on. However for me the best thing was being between the ages of about 7 -9 years old and there being a knock on the door and rushing to the Window to see my Uncles Blue Hillman Imp outside and then to immediately know that I was going to Maine Road.

no one loved maine rd more than me but its gone, time to move on.. keep the memories but it isnt like city dont exist anymore thats more important than bricks n mortar...

CITYtilIdie24 said:
supercity36 said:
one more memory ive remembered.. playing ipswich and the rain was the worst ive EVER seen and game got abandoned... remember my socks being soaked cant remember when the game was or what i was for but it was amazing!

it was a cup match and it got abandoned just as we scored cant remember who scored it tho, the rain was horrendous that nite i remember the ipswich bench not wantin to abondon it but once we scored they did lol!! typical ay haha!!!

Was at that game myself and if memory serves correct the rain was that heavy it looked like fog lol, was fookin soaked when I got home but that's exactly the sort of stupid stuff I miss about the place. Does everyone remember the "charity collection" at the parkside aswell, in all my years going in there never once seen a sign showing how much they had collected and for what haha. Also remember bumping into big joe royal after one game outside the main entrance was about two hours after the final whistle (we'd been in the boozer) and him having a top chat with us, the best bit though was while my mates were in the corner shop he stopped his car to have another chat, still remember it now he was asking what we thought of the youngsters especially gary mason lol remember him city's next big thing. He was a proper gent and chatted with us for a good twenty minute's seemed genuinely interested in what we thought. Ah I'll have to stop or I'll be weeping soon haha.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.