R.I.P to the 23 lost in Munich

I hate the cunts but is it really pushed in our faces? It's not like fucking Hillsborough which is rammed down our throats every week. Not sure about the minute silence tonight but then again almost half the Ingerlund team perished that night...

I agree with all the sentiments here. It is with a feeling of great embarrassment for me that I remember that as a 10/11 year old in the seventies I used to sing the munich songs that were a feature of the Kippax in those days.

My adult self can't believe I was so callous as a kid, and I caution the young lads on here that it does stick with you if you get caught up in the tiny part of our support that still disrespect this terrible tragedy by singing that song

I understand Mancunians who were around at the time, those who either had some sort of affiliation with the team, the players or the city in the 1950's, paying their annual respects to those who died in the air disaster. I, however, was born in 1977. Obviously I don't remember anything about the crash, or the players, as I wasn't born, my mum was only 1 in 1958! The thing I struggle to comprehend is people under the age of, say, 50 who make a huge deal about this (50 allows for those with actual memories of the event, as well as those who grew up in it's aftermath). Obviously it was a tragedy, but, in the grand scheme of things, it was a plane crash. There have been numerous plane crashes since 1958. In 1967 there were 72 people killed in a plane that crashed on Stockport and in 1985 there were 53 people killed in a plance crash at Manchester Airport, so this isn't even the most recent crash to affect the people of Greater Manchester.

Paying a moments respect, if you're a Manchester United fan, or someone old enough to remember the event and those involved, is perfectly natural, however I fail to see why this event should have any real impact or importance on those who don't fall into one of those categories. I'm not 100% convinced United fans under the age of 50 have all that much to be interested in either if I'm honest. Yes it involved their club so paying respect is understandable, but they didn't remember the players involved or anything like that. How would I feel if it had been City who had been affected? Similarly. I'd keep quiet and respectful when the subject came up but, ultimately, it's something that happen almost 2 decades before I was born, to people I don't know. I have the same opinion when an ex player or manager dies, I'm respectful but, at the end of the day, I have no recollection at all of Neil Young, or Malcolm Allison, so it clearly doesn't affect me as much as those old enough to remember them. Some day the players I watched as a child will begin to pass away, and I'm sure those deaths will affect me far more than those of yesteryear.

Matty said:
I understand Mancunians who were around at the time, those who either had some sort of affiliation with the team, the players or the city in the 1950's, paying their annual respects to those who died in the air disaster. I, however, was born in 1977. Obviously I don't remember anything about the crash, or the players, as I wasn't born, my mum was only 1 in 1958! The thing I struggle to comprehend is people under the age of, say, 50 who make a huge deal about this (50 allows for those with actual memories of the event, as well as those who grew up in it's aftermath). Obviously it was a tragedy, but, in the grand scheme of things, it was a plane crash. There have been numerous plane crashes since 1958. In 1967 there were 72 people killed in a plane that crashed on Stockport and in 1985 there were 53 people killed in a plance crash at Manchester Airport, so this isn't even the most recent crash to affect the people of Greater Manchester.

Paying a moments respect, if you're a Manchester United fan, or someone old enough to remember the event and those involved, is perfectly natural, however I fail to see why this event should have any real impact or importance on those who don't fall into one of those categories. I'm not 100% convinced United fans under the age of 50 have all that much to be interested in either if I'm honest. Yes it involved their club so paying respect is understandable, but they didn't remember the players involved or anything like that. How would I feel if it had been City who had been affected? Similarly. I'd keep quiet and respectful when the subject came up but, ultimately, it's something that happen almost 2 decades before I was born, to people I don't know. I have the same opinion when an ex player or manager dies, I'm respectful but, at the end of the day, I have no recollection at all of Neil Young, or Malcolm Allison, so it clearly doesn't affect me as much as those old enough to remember them. Some day the players I watched as a child will begin to pass away, and I'm sure those deaths will affect me far more than those of yesteryear.

Today I've heard/read 'gone but not forgotten' and 'Manchester remembers'....which surprises me as I'm yet to meet anyone who can name the entire team, the way they played or any details other than that they were 'brilliant' and 'Duncan Edwards was one'.

Matty said:

Manchester City were affected.
Frank Swift was one of the best goalkeepers we ever had.
If folk can't put their hatred of United to one side for a minute to remember their losses,the least they could do is show respect for the death of one of our own.

Matty said:

A good post mate. Well balanced. Sensible and objective.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Matty said:

If folk can't put their hatred of United to one side for a minute to remember their losses,the least they could do is show respect for the death of one of our own.

Absolutely nothing to do with hatred of Manchester United.

Frank Swift played for City, I'm aware of that. However I never saw him play for City, I doubt I'd be able to pick his picture out of a lineup of other players from that era. I'd imagine the list of those people who remember Swift playing is even smaller than those who remember the United team of 1958 playing. I'm of the same opinion on his death as I am on the rest, if you remeber him, or you remember the crash its;ef (or its aftermath) then fair enough, otherwise I'm not sure why this disaster is any different from the numerous other disasters in the last 60+ years.

Matty said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Matty said:

Absolutely nothing to do with hatred of Manchester United.

Frank Swift played for City, I'm aware of that. However I never saw him play for City, I doubt I'd be able to pick his picture out of a lineup of other players from that era. I'd imagine the list of those people who remember Swift playing is even smaller than those who remember the United team of 1958 playing. I'm of the same opinion on his death as I am on the rest, if you remeber him, or you remember the crash its;ef (or its aftermath) then fair enough, otherwise I'm not sure why this disaster is any different from the numerous other disasters in the last 60+ years.
Could it be because it's to do with football? Footballers perished. We all love and watch football, so that's the link I would say. If it was a bus terminal of every day people who died i'm sure that would be remembered in it's own way too. It was footballers though, players of the game we all love, so football itself pays its respects.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.