Racist podcast rant - Arsenal fan & 'Comedian' Alan Davies not happy with us

I wonder what his great woke mate Baddiel thinks of it all
Not sure he’s ‘woke’. He did an interesting documentary about social media and cancel culture for the BBC a few weeks back and seems to be trying to work it out like the rest of us. It also covered the period when he blacked up on Baddiel & Skinner. He seems a decent guy actually.

Not sure he’s ‘woke’. He did an interesting documentary about social media and cancel culture for the BBC a few weeks back and seems to be trying to work it out like the rest of us. It also covered the period when he blacked up on Baddiel & Skinner. He seems a decent guy actually.
Yes it was a decent attempt to redeem himself but there are plenty of 80s/90s comedians with Oxbridge degrees who didn’t black up or make mysogynistic jokes for quick laughs, and I don’t think the old excuse that ‘times were different then’ means you have the right to preach to others now. Problem with people like Davies etc is they are never the butt of their joke, they always laugh at people not with them.

Yes it was a decent attempt to redeem himself but there are plenty of 80s/90s comedians with Oxbridge degrees who didn’t black up or make mysogynistic jokes for quick laughs, and I don’t think the old excuse that ‘times were different then’ means you have the right to preach to others now.
People commit crimes and they're allowed to re-educate themselves, in the criminal justice system, it's one thing we all want to see - people re-integrating into society, but that doesn't mean we prevent them from passing on their experiences to others, in fact we encourage it. The same doesn't seem to go for what things some people said or did in the past though, which was the nub of his programme. Some people want to continually punish them forever which seems harsh to most observers. "Times were different then" is not an excuse, it's a fact, otherwise society isn't evolving and hopefully improving, but there really was a time when blacking up didn't instantly raise horror in everyone's mind like it does - thankfully - today. And it's not that far back.

Problem with people like Davies etc is they are never the butt of their joke, they always laugh at people not with them.
He plays the court jester on QI so is the very essence the butt of many jokes. Not that I want to defend him, his rants are outrageous and he will hopefully pay for them by losing work, as he should.

People commit crimes and they're allowed to re-educate themselves, in the criminal justice system, it's one thing we all want to see - people re-integrating into society, but that doesn't mean we prevent them from passing on their experiences to others, in fact we encourage it. The same doesn't seem to go for what things some people said or did in the past though, which was the nub of his programme. Some people want to continually punish them forever which seems harsh to most observers. "Times were different then" is not an excuse, it's a fact, otherwise society isn't evolving and hopefully improving, but there really was a time when blacking up didn't instantly raise horror in everyone's mind like it does - thankfully - today. And it's not that far back.

He plays the court jester on QI so is the very essence the butt of many jokes. Not that I want to defend him, his rants are outrageous and he will hopefully pay for them by losing work, as he should.
I agree on re-education and second chances, of course, but the Jason Lee gags were mid-90s not the 70s. Kick it Out had already been formed and yet on one of the main football shows two educated guys thought it would be funny to do those jokes not just once but on a weekly basis. As Stewart Lee said “If Jim Davidson is able to appropriate your material at face value, maybe its time to think about doing something else”. Anyway thats a separate debate to this thread!

The apparent lack of media attention to what Davies has said just smacks of the fact some of these guys are seen as institutions and cuddly, while others are not. Its got to be consistent for Gods sake, if he had ranted like that on QI he would probably be sacked.

I’d rather boil my head than listen to that **** but I’m glad they’re upset.
I don’t think you could ever find a more idiotic and bitter group of fans around a table like these. Even the City fan was struggling to get his point across. He was out of his depth. As for the Geordie moron he is is beyond upset and like someone said he’s petrified.

Last edited:
I agree on re-education and second chances, of course, but the Jason Lee gags were mid-90s not the 70s. Kick it Out had already been formed and yet on one of the main football shows two educated guys thought it would be funny to do those jokes not just once but on a weekly basis. As Stewart Lee said “If Jim Davidson is able to appropriate your material at face value, maybe its time to think about doing something else”. Anyway thats a separate debate to this thread!

The apparent lack of media attention to what Davies has said just smacks of the fact some of these guys are seen as institutions and cuddly, while others are not. Its got to be consistent for Gods sake, if he had ranted like that on QI he would probably be sacked.
I know we're heading into separate debate but you'd be surprised the names of people who have blacked up well past the nineties. Ant & Dec (2003), Sarah Silverman (2007), Jimmy Fallon (2000), Simon Brodkin alias Lee Nelson (2013), David Walliams/Matt Lucas (as late as 2010). I suppose the time when people realised it was wrong is different for each example, there's no single date when it was acceptable then not acceptable, which is a pity because it would make it a lot easier to judge.

Anyway back to Davies, I agree with you there. Personally I, myself, don't find it offensive, to me it just comes across as a middle aged tit mouthing off, maybe a bit drunk, but I do understand how it affects others and how they might find it offensive and support their right to object.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.